Amarok on Gibb River Road

Submitted: Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 15:52
ThreadID: 143314 Views:6974 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I’ve got 2018 Amarok V6 Highline TDI550 with adjustable outback armour lift and Maxxis Razr AT811 265/70R17 Rubber and fitted with Snorkel.
Just wondering firstly how it handled the heavily corrugated roads and if my wading depth increases from the 500mm recommendation in the manual. I’m concerned with being able to get across the Pentecost River and others.
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 16:36

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 16:36
Regardless of vehicle, the biggest influence is tyre pressures and speed. Stick with highway pressures, and you will shake your car to pieces.stick to around 20 psi and keep your speed right down.

As for the Pentecost, if it is that deep, I would not enter, as it is a wide crossing and the last thing you would want to happen is get into trouble half way across….there are lots of big crocs in the water there.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639659

Follow Up By: BJAY - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 16:52

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 16:52
Thanks… It was also recommended from a local source to lower the front to 25 and a well loaded rear to 28-30 but I can also adjust the shocks to softer or firmer depending on the degree of corrugation at the time. I certainly agree re the speed caution and if in doubt keep it out approach too. I was hoping I might have got a bit of leeway with the snorkel and lift but I’d not be game to wreck a good vehicle particularly up there… Long and expensive way from a fix.
FollowupID: 918728

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 17:11

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 17:11
What I should have also said was get a snorkel soc and spare and carry the cleaning solution and more filter oil. I have 3 socs and replace it every night, wash it out and re oil, put it into a plastic bag and ready for the next change. Just re reading, sounds like you don’t have a snorkel?

I would get one regardless, as I know a lot on new vehicles have their air intake under the front guard, and then suck all the dust in, clogging your air cleaner in no time flat.

I have found that the biggest advantage of the snorkel on dirt roads is to keep out as much dust from your air cleaner, which you will get lots on the Gib.

All the photos that you see of the Pentecost and the ranges in the background are taken from the southern side as you approach. Do not be temped to walk across first, judge the depth from another’s crossing. It is a very firm and rocky base, so no worries on thinking you will get bogged.

Depending on your load, I would still go lower and even if you were down to say 24, you will notice a lot softer ride.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918729

Follow Up By: BJAY - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 17:40

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 17:40
Thanks again… Good advice re the sock I do have a snorkel… Wouldn’t be without one.
FollowupID: 918730

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 18:05

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 18:05
The Pentecost is usually a relatively shallow crossing. It is influenced by both runoff and tide. Assuming you are crossing well after the wet season it is unlikely to be much above wheel height although it can be pretty bumpy. It looks daunting as you approach as you can't see the bottom and it appears to be flowing quickly. It is also very wide.

The first time I crossed it was very soon after the road was opened for the season and there was a lot of water around. The Pentecost was easy but we struggled across the Durack later that day. It was bonnet deep and that was early June.

Best advice I can offer is to watch others, take it slow and stay towards the centre. Tyre pressure and speed on the GRR are the secret to a successful trip. Be prepared to stop regularly, check tyre and suspension temps, and make sure everything is hanging together.

Safe travels.
AnswerID: 639661

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 18:24

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 18:24
When we crossed the Pentecost, it wasn’t deep, a bit long, and we waited for someone else to show us the way. It certainly was less than wheel height, well below doors.
Excellent for washing off some mud and dust. Didn’t have any worries with water along the GRR, just dust and corrugations.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639662

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 18:49

Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 18:49
I have a 2016 model and this is my experience.
The 500mm wading limitation is because your rear diff breathers are located in the chassis brace above the rear axle. It's an open ended hollow tube ideal for water ingress. I have relocated mine under the bonnet.

I also attached a breather hose to the duckbill that sits on top of your transfer case and seal it with silicone. In theory that duckbill should not allow water in, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Unless you go bonnet deep in water I wouldn't worry about a snorkel because your air intake is under the bonnet behind the grille. Its location also ensures clean air; there's no benefit from fitting a snorkel for dust reasons.

Remember that your air filter box has a duckbill drain. Consider sealing that if you do fit a snorkel.

I run Cooper STmaxx and maintain 26 psi all around on corrugated roads like the GRR.
AnswerID: 639663

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 08:56

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 08:56
Hi Bjay,

Firstly, regardless as to whether your air intake is located in front behind the grill or under a wheel arch, when following or being passed by another vehicle on dusty roads, there is always the possibility of getting dust into your air intake. A good quality snorkel raises the air intake as high as possible and gives you the best chance of limiting this dust ingress. Also, making sure the air box is properly sealed.

Secondly, tyre pressures are relevant to your particular situation, what suits one person and their vehicle, may not suit you and your vehicle. It is better to load your vehicle up for travel, and putting it over a segmented weigh bridge so that you know the different axle weights. Then with this information, and the tyre size and construction, go on line to some of the various tyre pressure calculators (G & S Chassis is a good one) to work out the ideal pressure for your individual situation for the various road conditions.

As an example, I run 48 psi in the rear, and 44 psi in the front for highway, and drop to 38 psi and 36 psi respectively when on gravel, and adjust from there depending on corrugations. My vehicle when touring is heavy with a GVM of just under 3,800 Kgs. when towing.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639666

Follow Up By: .... - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 11:53

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 11:53
Macca, sound and good advice.

Tyre pressure is not a one size fits all vehicles. Tyre pressures should be managed to reflect the weight of the vehicle.

That is why tyre manufacturer’s produce weight/pressure tables. I run a pressure difference of 8 psi, between on-road/off-road applications.

If in sand, pressure should be set to whatever is required to maintain traction.

Each to there own, mind you.

Cheers, Baz (The Landy)

FollowupID: 918734

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 12:09

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 12:09
Exactly. All of the major tyre manufacturers will supply you with a weight/pressure table for the particular tyres you have on your vehicle. They will also provide you with general guidelines for non-sealed surfaces.

There is no 'one size fits all' solution. Depends on weight on each tyre/axle, road surface, tyre construction etc etc

Regards
FollowupID: 918735

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 16:29

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2022 at 16:29
You could drive a mini across the Pentecost these days without any trouble as the road has been smooth out and built up somewhat over the years But.. I wouldn't be attempting it when the water is like the second picture LOL :))
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639674

Reply By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2022 at 16:38

Sunday, Mar 06, 2022 at 16:38
I didn’t think the Gibb R Rd was opened until the Pentecost was low enough for “safe” crossing.
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

AnswerID: 639741

Sponsored Links