Putting diesel in a used 44 gallon drum

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 13:08
ThreadID: 143371 Views:7249 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All

I need to fill a 44 with diesel - the drum is almost new and had auto trans fluid in it.

Will rinsing the drum out with petrol a couple times be ok or should I be doing something else ?

The diesel will be going into a 200 series Cruiser and a PX Ranger and don't want any issues

Cheers
Gazz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 15:31

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 15:31
Gazz,

Presumably disposal of the rinse fluid is not a problem, so why not rinse it out with diesel? The ATF will dissolve/mix with diesel just as well as it would with petrol.

If it was me, I'd upend the drum and move it about to drain as much ATF as possible, then rinse with diesel and repeat until you're satisfied with the result.

Have no idea what to do with the rinse fluid, though, ball's in your court on that one :-). In my childhood days 65 years ago my Dad would toss that sort of thing on the crusher-dust forecourt of our workshop/machinery/storage shed complex. Probably wouldn't get away with anything like that now, depending where you live ....

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639788

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 16:01

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 16:01
G'day Frank

Already done.

The inside of the drum was as new with probably only 50 mil of trans fluid in it if that.
Used petrol as I didn't have any spare diesel around - two flushes and a good drain after the second flush and I have a new 44. When I did my 4wd tours years ago I had three 44's across the back of my trusty old GQ Patrol tray top which were oil filled drums in there day but wasn't sure about the trans fluid and how that would go with the modern day common rail diesel motors if not flushed properly. The small amount of rinse fluid was disposed of as properly as I could on my small acreage property on the road base drive up to a shed !

Appreciate your reply

Thanks
Gazz
FollowupID: 918851

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 19:18

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 19:18
Talking about rinsing out drums reminds me of a time, about 50 years ago, we needed multiple clean drums to cart water for cattle after a planned helicopter muster. As much of the fuel then was carted in drums in the bush, we had a good supply of petrol 44gallon drums.

The method used by one old fellar was to remove both bungs, air for a day or so, then using an oxy/acetylene unit, insert the nozzle in the small bung & often greeted by a jet of flame out of the larger bung. Worked well, even with the pyrotechnics, and the clean water was later appreciated by the cattle.

Gazz, some of these newer drums are of very light construction, and I’d suggest standing the drum/s on either a piece of carpet or thickish rubber. Could help stop a fatigue fracture & accompanying mess?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918858

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 16:37

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 16:37
Out of interest, if you had to buy "near new" 44 gal drums these days where would you look and how much is a reasonable price. My vehicle is fuel hungry but I have the room to carry two or three in the back for long trips.
AnswerID: 639790

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 17:08

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 17:08
Howdy

A friend owns and runs a very large workshop - asked him for one and he gave me the best one !

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 918854

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 19:01

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 19:01
Ozzie,

Try recycling firms, maybe not glass/aluminium recyclers, but the ones that refurbish chemical containers, 44g drums, poly drums etc. Some firms used to advertise in classifieds in the Qld Country Life.

Any local servos, mechanical workshops would probably have a few sitting around.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918856

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 17:40

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 17:40
Gazz : if it was a nice new oil drum i would put a few litres of diesel in it to rinse & tip it out on a nice white cloth for instructions. Presumably you will have good filter system /water trap on the vehicles . Also run your finger around the inside top checking for rust . As a point of interest how are you going to be transporting the drum and your application for using the 200l drum they can be a real bugger holding them still in the back of vehicles/ trailers etc
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639794

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 22:14

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 22:14
Howdy Nick

Not looking at transporting it - just lucky to be offered it for free if I could collect it before the weekend.

Re transporting - when I ran my tours I had three 44's in the back of my tray top, two with petrol for the enduro bikes and one diesel for the support vehicles when we did desert trips for three weeks at a time. The drums were securely attached to the headboard of the ute with rubber mounted steel bands just like semi trailer tanks. I also cut 12mm plywood about 50mm smaller than the base of the drum to place underneath so that the constant up and down movement of the fuel over corrugations etc wouldn't cause the 44 to split at the base which happened on earlier trips.

Geez I miss them days

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 918862

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 17:50

Thursday, Mar 10, 2022 at 17:50
FWIW where we are currently caretaking diesel is stored in 1000 litre IBC containers which previously had a variety of oils in them. They get swished around with some diesel & then mopped out until clean to the eye. Apart from a couple of vehicles the diesel is used to power a modern Kubota generator which runs 24/7 to provide us with power. Works just fine, but IBC's last much better if kept out of the sun up here in the north.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 639795

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Mar 11, 2022 at 07:12

Friday, Mar 11, 2022 at 07:12
G'day All

" Gazz, some of these newer drums are of very light construction "

Anyone looking to carry fuel in a 44 should try and source drums that carried thinners - I was told by a few people that they were made of more solid construction. That was 20 years ago and might not apply today but worth looking into if you're after a drum or two.

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 639800

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Mar 13, 2022 at 19:53

Sunday, Mar 13, 2022 at 19:53
Where to get a drum I hear folks asking. If you are in Darwin, ask the guys at Recharge out at East Arm. They have a crushing machine just for drums. Yep, not reused. They will most likely give you as many as you can take to save themselves crushing them.

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639816

Sponsored Links