Fridges

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 00:50
ThreadID: 143390 Views:6382 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,
Interested to know members opinion regarding 3 way versus compressor fridges.
Thanks Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 07:42

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 07:42
Hi Ian .. not a lot of information there on your application use ?? but I asked a similar question few years ago but I can't find it in my search :(( as search option on this forum his close to useless .
Can't find where to search for my previous posts anyway Goodluck
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639819

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:11

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:11
Horses for courses - it depends on your usage and where you live. 3-ways are cheaper which is why they are fitted to most vans as standard. Pros - can be run on gas, so good for off-grid camping when you don't have big batteries or solar. Cons - poor performance in hot climates* unless you fit aftermarket fan kits; barely adequate on 12V when towing unless you ensure full voltage is available at the fridge.

Compressor fridges are more expensive. Pros - good performance in all climates provided you have adequate ventilation. Cons - for off-grid use over a few days, you need big batteries and/or solar back-up.

*Dometics are available with an optional tropical rating which gives better performance in hot climates.

That's a quick and dirty summary, and I'm sure others will have additional comments.
FollowupID: 918892

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:24

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:24
Hi Ian,

There are very strong opinions in both camps, both will swear by their individual choice.

Absorption (3way) fridges are not as efficient as compressor fridges. Ask yourself this question, why don’t we have absorption fridges in our homes anymore, even in remote areas? Absorption fridges need to be level in order to work as efficiently as possible. Absorption fridges will struggle in hot humid conditions, even the tropical rated ones, it is the high humidity that they really struggle with. There are more questions on caravan forums with regard to problems with absorption fridges than any other single issue. Yes, there are a few “tricks” to help them along such as extra insulation, extra fans both inside and outside the actual fridge. There is a reason why all the Expedition Trucks that are designed to be fully self sufficient and self contained have compressor fridges with the appropriate batteries and charging capacity, and not absorption fridges.

Compressor fridges require a sustainable power source. Sufficient batteries and Solar charging capacity and or generator. LiFePo4 batteries are the way to go, as you can have a larger number of batteries with less overall weight. You are of course reliant on sufficient sunlight to keep you batteries charged up. This may be an issue in the southern states like Victoria and Tasmania in the winter months. Compressor fridges do not have to be level to be efficient. Compressor fridges are not as effected by high humidity as absorption fridges.

It will probably come down to a personal choice. I have had both compressor and absorption fridges, and would not go back to an absorption fridge. Many people have swapped out their absorption fridge in their van for a compressor fridge, very few if any swap out a compressor fridge for an absorption fridge.

Just my two cents worth.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639820

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 09:20

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 09:20
Please explain how 3 ways are impacted by high humidity - can understand high temps (and very low temps) but with a fully sealed system I cannot see how they are impacted by humidity. Never heard that before so just curious.
FollowupID: 918893

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 13:36

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 13:36
Ozzie, it is because in high humidity, you are drinking beer constantly and the fridge can't keep up! lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918898

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 15:28

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 15:28
The more water vapour (humidity) there is in air, the less dense the air is. Therefore, air with a higher humidity will pick up and transfer less heat that less humid air.
That applies to both types of refrigerators, not just 3-ways...
FollowupID: 918899

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 15:40

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 15:40
Hi Ozzie,

As well as Allans’s explanation, which is quite reasonable by the way, in high humidity moisture in the atmosphere freezes on the condensing fins and tubing reducing their efficiency.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918900

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 20:07

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 20:07
So no different to other type of fridges and a/c systems.
FollowupID: 918906

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 20:32
Well Ozzie, whilst I am not an expert or a refrigeration mechanic, I can say that yes it is different from a compressor fridge in that a compressor fridge uses a refrigerant gas as opposed to a liquid. It uses a compressor to compress the gas and pressurise it or “push” it around the system where it passes through an “expansion” process where and releases “cold”. This process is far less affected by high humidity than an absorption process. As there is nothing “pushing” the refrigerant around an absorption refrigerator other than the thermosyphon process, anything that affects this thermosyphon process greatly reduces its efficiency. Ice forming on the outside of the condensing fins in an absorption refrigerator reduces its ability to produce the cold temperatures required for refrigeration. Some of the refrigerant remains in its gaseous state so does not release “cold”. This “gas gets trapped in the small capillary tubes and can cause a blockage. This is another reason why absorption refrigerators need to be very level to be efficient. Liquid refrigerant needs to be able to flow by gravity, if it gets blocked by a “gas bubble”, or by the refrigerator not being level, it also reduces its efficiency.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918907

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:32

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:32
Doh - thanks for the lecture on how the systems work - yes I know all that - in circumstances where a 3 way freezes up there is a good chance a compressor fridge will also freeze up - my home a/c system does it all the time, my car A/C does it and from time to time the fridge does it as well.

You said this was just an issue for 3 way systems and that is not correct.
FollowupID: 918914

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 07:49

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 07:49
Hi Ozzie,

Sorry, but you asked the question, I gave an answer and an explanation as to how they work, thinking that you were unaware of their workings as many others are not.

Also, I did not state that “it was just an issue for 3 Way fridges”, I stated in my original answer to the OP’s question that compressor fridges can be effected by High Humidity, but not to the same extent as absorption fridges. I said this again in my response to your question.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918925

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:28

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:28
The shower of ice you get sleeping under a window rattler in the humid tropics will soon alert you to the issue moist air freezing on cooling fins. However moist air actually has a higher heat capacity than dry air as water vapour has a higher heat capacity than air.
In SI units, cs = 1.005 + 1.82H where 1.005 kJ/kgdegC is the heat capacity of dry air, 1.82 kJ/kgdegC the heat capacity of water vapor, and H is the specific humidity in kg water vapor per kg dry air in the mixture. Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/humid_heat
or for the more thermodynamically minded: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/enthalpy-moist-air-d_683.html
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 918926

Reply By: Gerard S - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 12:28

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 12:28
As an Off Grid caravanner I am very satisfied with a 220 litre Compressor fridge. My previous fridges were 3 way.
It's quite an investment to run it, lithium batteries and 600w of roof mounted solar. The investment is totally justified by the performance ...it's just like being at home in the outback.
AnswerID: 639822

Follow Up By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 17:49

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 17:49
Hi Gerard, any idea how long the max number of days that you had little sun?
Ian
FollowupID: 918904

Reply By: Member - Wooly - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 15:13

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 15:13
When we bought our caravan, one of the requirements was reliable and efficient refrigeration. After talking too a few seasoned travellers, it was clear that compressor fridges were the best option.

I'm not very tech minded so can't offer any scientific reasoning but our compressor fridge (Dometic 220 litre fridge freezer) has always worked just like our home fridge/freezer in even very harsh conditions.

I believe its worth every cent of the cost for enough solar/batteries to ensure the power supply is adequate.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 639825

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 18:30

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 18:30
Thanks for the great help. I replaced my 3way about 3 years ago (CRX110) even though it’s small. The former was basically useless. A friend of mine is buying a new van with a Dometic 245 3way which I admit have improved greatly, but since he is having 2x120ah lithium batteries plus ample solar I couldn’t understand why he preferred the 3 Way system. He is also getting ready for retirement.
I appreciate everyone’s help.
Ian
AnswerID: 639827

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 22:46

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 22:46
Having had my say at the beginning and noted all the responses, I'd just like to say that my Dometic 3-way is fitted with Karl's Kool RV fans both internally and externally, plus decent wiring back to the tug via a separate Anderson plug. It's travelled as far north as Townsville in October and also to Arkaroola at about the same time of year. We regularly carry ice-cream in the freezer part and the beer is pretty cold.
BUT, as a back-up, I have a 35-yr old Engel in the car running continuously in the car as a freezer for all the dog food we have to carry! (Don't ask).
The Engel runs off the 105Ah Fullriver in the van when we are off-grid plus a CPAP machine overnight and so far the 160W solar panel has always had the battery fully charged by early afternoon.
FollowupID: 918909

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:32

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:32
We still have our 3 way, and have never had our frozen food unfreeze.
Sometimes the beer is only cool, but that’s OK for me.
The fridge works remarkably well considering, and not having to worry about battery charging all the time works for us.
Still trying to keep things as simple as possible.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639835

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 15:16

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 15:16
Same here Jim
Cheers
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

FollowupID: 918917

Sponsored Links