WA Wildflowers 2022

Looking for a bit of advice from WA members of this forum. Hoping to visit in September this year to see wildflowers between Geraldton and Albany. Have seen on news the hot summer and bushfires you have been experiencing, will this effect wildflowers or do they rely on winter rainfall?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 11:08

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 11:08
There's an excellent app available from WA Tourism as well as a website for spotters so that keeps you right up to date with what has been seen when and where. Just search for WA wildflowers and you will find both bits of information pretty much at the top of the list

Here's one of many https://www.australiasgoldenoutback.com/page/outback-wildflower-trails

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639881

Reply By: Member - BindoonBlu (WA) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 12:16

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 12:16
Dunworkin ... September may be a bit late for wildflowers in the northern areas of the south west as they start to `burnoff' once the rains disappear. August is the best month to start looking east of Geraldton and then work your way through to the south coast.
Wildflower blooms does depend on winter rains so if we have a dry winter the blooms will be less.
If you have plenty of time you can meander around the wheatbelt areas from July to September chasing the flowers - A great time of the year in WA.
The websites suggested on the previous post will provide the best info on where to go and when.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 639882

Follow Up By: Dusta - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:56
with the rains we had last year there were wildflowers still well and truly in bloom in the midwest right up until october .

All dependant on the winter rain
FollowupID: 918977

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 18:41

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 18:41
September 2007
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 639890

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 22:03

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 22:03
Sept 2007, but where? One bit of data is useless without the other.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918966

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 06:53

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 06:53
Nice shot Stan. Would those be "Qualup Bells " , pimelea physodes ??
I'm no expert, just looked them up.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918969

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 07:55

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 07:55
Followed the Holland Track and went on to the Fitzgerald NP to see the wild flowers.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

FollowupID: 918970

Reply By: Zippo - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 22:56

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 22:56

If you're into wreath flowers in particular, there's a gravel pit full of them 8km north of Perenjori on the east side of the railway line. That was 21 Sep last year, probably 2-3 weeks past their peak.

And to make it easier to find

29°23'34.7"S 116°14'04.9"E
(-29.392960, 116.234692)
AnswerID: 639894

Reply By: Dusta - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:56
all depends on the rainfall we get from now until june as to how good the wildflowers are and how long they last depends on things such as heat and rain etc.
AnswerID: 639897

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 01:34

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 01:34
We travelled from Darwin for last years wildflowers, going down and back via the west coast. Had intended to go home via SA but Covid changed that. As it was, that was a bonus as we saw flowers on the way back that we had been too early for on the trip down.

We left in late July and due to the late, and cold, winter down there we were too early for the best of Kalbari as well as at Mt Leseuer Nat Park. From the Jurien Bay/Cervantes area we were told by other travellers that the Wreath Flowers at Pindar were not at their best and so we headed out to Beacon and then down to Baladjie Rock, which is about 50km NW of Southern Cross. While there another traveller told us that the Pindar Wreath Flowers were now pretty well at their best. So we backtracked back up via Dalwallinu, Morawa and camped at Canna. From there we toured Pindar for the Wreath Flowers, over to Coalseam and back to Canna.

Then it was down to Pemberton in the south western corner, out to Corrigin & Kulin, over to the Stirling Ranges, Castle Rock just south of there, back to Kulin (pick up important but ultimately useless delayed mail), down to Ravensthorpe, Hopetoun and in to the Fitzgerald Nat Pk. Then it was homeward bound back up to Canna again where the everlastings & orchids were dying out, Wreath Flowers still going but fading at Pindar, Mt Lesueur was improving, Kalbari that was a lot better, then north to home in late September. There was other meanderings in all that as well.

That's a lot of info, but it shows that chasing wildflowers can mean an awful lot of backtracking as you hear about what is out, where and when. We feel really jealous of WA locals that can chase the flowers over many years to get the best. There had been a promised app for wildflower siting's but it didn't happen and mobile reception in many places was either patchy or non-existent to use it anyway. Our best info came from other travellers. We were actually surprised at the lack of wildflower tourists as from the trip down it seemed that Perth had emptied and everyone was going up the coast to the Exmouth and Broome areas. Inland, we had no problems with camping, so the tourist $'s were not being evenly spread.

This year we're planning to return, particularly for the southern wildflowers in the Fitzgerald Nat Pk and the Ravensthorpe wild flower festival, and other places. Might even get into Perth this time. Hopefully we'll also get over to SA for visiting friends and family that we haven't seen in some time, thanks Covid.

We were really happy with those flowers we did see, but there had been one we had on our bucket list that escaped us. That is until we passed back through Carnarvon and found it absolutely by accident. I'll leave it there at the moment as I'll find the pictures of it and update the Wildflowers section on this site, hopefully tomorrow.
AnswerID: 639903

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 22:48

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 22:48
Continuing on: Stopping for fuel at Carnarvon we filled up at the self serve stop where the North West Coastal Highway does a right angle turn as it passes through the edge of town. We then moved the car to alongside the front garden bed for a snack stop before continuing North. Just next to the car was a bush that my wife was surprised to see was the very Green Bird Flower we had been hoping to see on this trip.

I've added 4 pictures to the "Wildflowers" section of this site and added some commentary. The pictures go from the complete bush down to a single flower.

We hope that others passing through there about mid September can keep seeing this display.

Green Bird Flower

FollowupID: 918993

Sponsored Links