Try this in Australia!

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 14:40
ThreadID: 143421 Views:7388 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
As a form of climate action,a group (or groups) of environmental warriors in Europe and now the US, calling themselves Tyre Extinguishers, are deflating the tyres of SUVs in protest of the vehicles damaging the environment. My source is The Guardian on line news.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 15:30

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 15:30
Hmmm, they claim to be climate warriors, & I'm sure some are genuine, just like a proportion anti fox hunting protesters always were, but most saw 'hunt disrupting' more as a means of class warfare, the 'have nots' getting back at the 'haves' in ways which might make them feel better but really does nothing to change the inequities of society. This seems similar to me.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639887

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 21:55

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 21:55
Yes Cuppa, as you say, this really is "class warfare" and totally ineffectual.
The truth is that the vehicles targeted are modern, have efficient engines and effective emission control systems. They would likely be having less effect on the planet than the old bangers that these "Climate Warriors" are driving.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918965

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 15:37

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 15:37
You can bet your life that there'll be some "warrior" in Australia who will crave the publicity.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639888

Reply By: Ken O3 - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 20:39

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 20:39
Maybe true maybe not, Tribune one step below Facebook for accuracy and misinformation.
AnswerID: 639891

Follow Up By: Kenell - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:02

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 09:02
Its all over the UK press - not just the Tribune or Guardian. The RAC have also published an article on it. Seems it also happened in Stockholm so seems to be a European thing.

Apart from the obvious inconvenience factor and possible unintended consequences of an emergency situation the numbskulls apparently haven't considered that the tyres will inevitably be re inflated. That requires electricity produced either using AC or DC power - both forms defeat their ultimate goal of reducing CO2.
FollowupID: 918973

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 20:50

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 20:50
"My source is The Guardian on line news."

Well, how much credibility do you give The Guardian.

Come to think of it, they're probably quite accurate in reporting what a bunch of d*******s are doing.
AnswerID: 639892

Reply By: Rusty Iron - Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 21:20

Sunday, Mar 20, 2022 at 21:20
Oh crikey....they're getting closer to discovering the 5G enabled tracking devices we use to keep an eye on them. You know, those little black things on top of the valve stem. Nod, nod, wink, wink...
Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 639893

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:43

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:43
So many mis-guided souls in the world. If they each put a fraction of their energy into making their own backyards more fertile, moisture holding, food capable and more vegetated - we would see a tangible difference. But buzzing around wasting time and energy protesting, inconveniencing, and damaging the very economy that affords them the freedom and health to do the inneffective sh$t they do just defys basic human intelligence...and I say inneffective because the approaches to "saving the environmet" ignore the basics of landcare and preservation of ecosystems and focuses solely on CO2

This would be the first time in history a person has so many freedoms and choices.... But the choice to be educated, discerning and smart about how to effect change seems to be limited to listening to the (paid) experts...

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639896

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 15:55

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 15:55
Things you learn from a relatively benign post. I googled 'guardian tyre extinguishers' and came across this worrying article.
Chemical from tyres linked to mass salmon deaths in US found in Australia for first time

Microplastics as we know are already a huge, and growing, environmental problem but I was completely unaware of the (probable) link between tyre degradation and associated chemical poisoning of waterways. Yet another issue for engineers and other scientists to resolve.

AnswerID: 639901

Follow Up By: lindsay - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 20:47

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 20:47
So "we need to do more research" that means some more funding to keep their jobs fora little bit longer and a few more perks. Reminds me of a researcher in the Antarctic when being interviewed said "hopefully we can prove that global warming is occurring (that was before they called it climate change) Now they are saying that the Russians are infiltrating the green groups to stop fracking so it will forcing the price of gas up.
FollowupID: 918981

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 14:03

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 14:03
Seriously lindsay?

Anti-science, anti-expertise may be the catch cry of certain demographics this millennium but any reasonable analysis will show it's both ignorant nonsense (mostly), and ironic. That's not to suggest that scientists and experts are perfect or that they don't make mistakes and can't be influenced.

Your comment about the label change for global warming (which has the knock on effect of changing climates) was addressed decades ago. Irrespective of whatever you might like to call it (or deny it, as the case may be), the science is settled and unequivocal as far as it's source goes - "human" actions. If you want to read more on warming/cc in an easily digestible form I can highly recommend SKEPTICAL SCIENCE.

I doubt the veracity of your last sentence but it may be worth doing some research on Australia's gas reserves (without fracking), the factors which drive prices, and Howard's massive subsidies to early gas producers (which cost you, me and all other Australians a conservative $100B), among other things.
FollowupID: 918988

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 15:47

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 15:47
The Arctic and Antarctic both have a heat wave at the same time.... Nothing to wory about there.
FollowupID: 918989

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 18:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2022 at 18:07
They should set up at the entrance to beaches and deserts where everyone lets their tyres down, then we all might be happy?
AnswerID: 639902

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:28

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:28
Unfortunately just the act of mentioning this in a forum such as this may trigger some fool to do the same, personally I believe the less publicity we give this the better off we'll be!
AnswerID: 639904

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 09:34

Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 09:34
My kids don't know how the air gets into the tyres so I know they are not involved.

A
AnswerID: 639973

Sponsored Links