This looks interesting...

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 16:05
ThreadID: 14343 Views:2078 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Want a holiday with a difference? The newest craze is about to take off, and it’s based right here in South Australia!

We’ve become used to Farm Stays, where we stay on a working farm, now we have Arch Stays. This is a working holiday on of the registered archaeological sites in South Australia.

President of the South Australian Dig Society, Mr. Trent Falconer, said today ”Due to the decreasing amount of funding we are receiving to keep our current leases active on a productive basis, we have decided to go private. We are limited to the winter months of any year, and these are not always conducive to digging, we simply don’t have enough under grads & post grads to keep up with the demands of the sites.”

He is quoted as saying “What we now have is a plan to invite suitably qualified people who would wish to assist in our digs as part of their holiday.”

In the leafy Adelaide suburb of Bellevue Heights, next to Flinders University, there has now been a training ground established to give first hand teachings to prospective holiday makers.
This dig is located on the side of an east facing valley, and has already produced finds dating to the Cambrian period. Here, prospective diggers will undergo a two day induction course, which will allow them to identify items of importance, allowing a supervisor to then take over on their dig should the need arise. They will be schooled in the use of the tools of the trade, as well as a short course in sedimentary geology. At the completion of this course, they will be issued with a certificate allowing them access to the registered dig sites throughout the state.

The test dig is open every week day, and is under cover, with lights and power. An air-conditioned classroom is upstairs, where applicants will be able to use computers for computer modelling and watch DVD’s & Video’s, showing them in an accelerated way how a dig is run.

Enquiries should be directed to Tracy, who will then send out 3 starter video’s to enable you to become conversant with the terminology's involved. They are......

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Well, it was worth a try!!

Cheers

Wolfie!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 17:28

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 17:28
Wolfie - you have a way of turning a serious issue into something of ridicule. You couldn't imagine what relics of the past I have found between Terowie and Orroroo.

Andrew
AnswerID: 66305

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 17:32

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 17:32
......ummmmm......gee......

Andrew, I fabricated the whole thing up mate, none of it is true. Just want lots of people to come and dig my holes at home!

This relic wouldn't happen to be in Peterbourough?

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 327118

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 17:37

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 17:37
Yeh mate - I thought as much! I had my tongue firmly in my cheek. hahaha

And you are spot on about the location of that relic!!

Andrew
FollowupID: 327119

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 19:04

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 19:04
Beware of the MUMMY!!!!
FollowupID: 327126

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 21:21

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 21:21
No wonder your lonely. I'd love to come and help but I'm busy that weekend and the next one too. Sorry The next available weekend, my backs going out but I'm staying home.
Tracy will have to keep cracking the whip still.
AnswerID: 66331

Sponsored Links