Changing over a UHF but keeping the Coax/ antenna

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 13:33
ThreadID: 143456 Views:4508 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am looking at changing my base GME UHF TX3100DP (which I found to be Chinese made) with an upgraded unit that includes a speaker-mic.

Can I simply buy a new head unit, and have the same Coax/ antenna remain in place? I am guessing I can but just wanting to make sure.

TIA
Lachlan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 13:44

Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 13:44
That's what I did when I upgraded from a POS Uniden to an Icom (with speaker mic). The Uniden had never worked properly & many 'experts' had advised me that it was a cabling/antenna issue & suggested a variety of ways to resolve this, none of which worked. Replaced the Uniden with the Icom, & changed nothing else & it worked perfectly & has continued to do so for several years now.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639975

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 13:46

Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 13:46
I think they all use standardised specs for antenna cable and connectors, but am open to correction. If they do, then your coax and antenna will be fine.

FWIW, I changed from a Uniden set to GME and have successfully used the Uniden coax and antenna, no probs.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639976

Follow Up By: Olsen's Tours and Training - Monday, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:58

Monday, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:58
Yes they all use a "UHF connector" or PL259, and 50 ohm coaxial cable. The better antenna manufacturers may use higher quality, lower loss cable, but for the run length used, the loss is minimal anyway. There are however some really poor quality cables out there.

Kimberly
VK2KMI
Olsen's Tours and Training

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 919072

Follow Up By: Croc099 - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 20:16

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 20:16
They're not all the same. If he's sticking with GME then the speaker mic will fit an XRS 330, 370 or 390. The XRS 370 has a PL259 while the XRS 330 / 390 have an SO-239 connector.
FollowupID: 919153

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 11:18

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2022 at 11:18
All CBRS (UHF CB) VHF use 50 Ohm impedance coax cable. In australia ! there are soem insatnces when 75 is used but that's beyond this application

Connectors may however change. Most will be a screw on style PL259 comes to mind, all depends on who supplier and manufacturer calls it - some are crimp style others are solder style I use crimp style some are two piece others are one piece (two piece refers to a separate conductor pin )

first thing I normally check is condition of the connector itself - simple check to ensure no short circuits between conductor and shield get a DMM with piezo alarm fitted.

Short out test leads and buzzer sounds. put one lead onto middle conductor and other onto shield outside of connector. It shouldn't make a sound.

Some antennas do have a earth ground installed to reduce static from lightening strikes in the air but you need to consult manufacturers specs on this aspect.

Also pays to ensure type of antenna being used is suited to application some are ground dependent best fitted into middle of roof (hole drilled into roof) and others are ground independent, these usually have a load coil at base of antenna.
AnswerID: 640006

Sponsored Links