Setting up dedicated android device with Exlporoz

Hi Everyone

I am new to Exploroz & eotopo and so far I am really liking it and about to go on my first small trip, I have purchased the android version & hires 2021 maps license. I have come over from the 'other' brand that decided to screw over its customer base and discontinue the app they never fixed so they won't see any more of my cash :)

I have set up the app on a (not so old) phone as a dedicated GPS and wanted to see if there are any particular settings people are running to get the best out of it. I am attempting to have the phone turn its screen on with ignition (start of charge) but also time out when ignition is turned off, this is where I am unsuccessful so far, it turns on fine when it gets charge.

This is what I have done so far and it is all working great other than timeout:

Phone - Oppo A9 2020 (Snapdragon 665, 4GB RAM + 3GB RAM boost) - no performance issues, runs great (ColourOS - skinned android)

- Enabled developer options
- Screen on while charging - on
- Disable lock screen - on
- App pinning switched on and exploroz pinned

App options:
- Immersive full screen - on
- Stay awake - off

Stay awake is where I am having a small issue - it seems to be overriding the screen on while charging option in developer options. Is there anything I can change so it only times out when not charging? It's not a big deal, if the option is on it just means I have to hit the lock button each time I turn the ignition off etc. but wondering if anyone has worked a way around this?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:21

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:21
Could you use an Android automation app such as Tasker to force the screen off? Alternatively you could use it to close the app on battery power and relaunch on charging. As long as you are only running the app for an hour or so off-charge, you shouldn't have any problem with maintaining the phone charge. You could always get a car charger capable of rapid charging. Alternatively just press the power button to put the phone to sleep, this overrides the Stay awake-on setting that I have set (Nokia 8.3 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 lite). I reckon you'll find the phone screen a bit small. Unfortunately in the Android world you need to go to a 10" plus screen to get a tablet with specs that will run the app effectively.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640093

Follow Up By: Thunderpuppet - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:29

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:29
Thanks Warren, I didn't think of tasker I will have a look as I am sure I paid for it at one stage!

Its a 6.5inch display positioned quite close to the steering wheel so it is worth a shot as the phone was just sitting unused otherwise. I do have an 8 inch lenovo tablet that was on GPS duties with the old app but as it's in the budget arena it has 1GB of RAM and struggles at the most simple tasks, it's now on baby monitor duties!
FollowupID: 919149

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:44

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:44
I had the exact same Lenovo, yep pensioned off following v6/vector mapset. I have Tasker setup to auto-launch the Torque Pro OBDII reader on an old phone.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919150

Sponsored Links