Toyota DPF Class Action Outcome

Submitted: Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 12:31
ThreadID: 143536 Views:5878 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good news for long suffering Toyota drivers with DPF problems. Toyota's failure to adequately address significant DPF problems has been punished. Compensation: 17.5% of the average retail price of vehicles affected (if you were part of the class action presumably).

........"In Toyota's defence, legal teams argued the vehicles in question were “fit for all the purposes” as a reasonable consumer would regard as acceptable. Toyota also argued the diesel particulate filter "is not essential for the operation of essential parts of the relevant vehicles", "the relevant vehicles were operational in any driving environment", and white smoke was a characteristic of normal operation. "

Clutching at straws. Clearly Toyota management and its lawyers have sfa concept of what "reasonable consumers" find acceptable - esp those who outlayed good money for an essentially defective new vehicle.

Toyota Class Action Payout
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 16:25

Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 16:25
No doubt they will pay for this (as VW did for "Dieselgate"), though I found Toyota good to deal with.
When I went back to them they replaced the DPF and injectors, installed a manual burn button, and provided a written 10-year guarantee on the fix.
I think they realised how much damage was being done to brand reputation.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640120

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 17:37

Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 17:37
Yep, brand reputation and the Toyota tough mantra took a decent hit at the time Wm. Took them a long time (too long) to act. The progress towards providing solutions such as yours was drawn out and messy, and little doubt in my mind was prompted by regular articles and commentary from "independent" media people like John Cadogan, Unsealed 4x4, Berrima Diesel etc.

Iirc possible legal action had already been floated when they started offering replacement DPFs. Unsurprisingly they made no mention of it, or the dust problem, when I went to look at a new HiLux a couple of years ago but I guess that's typical of most car sales people.
FollowupID: 919181

Reply By: swampy - Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 18:56

Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 18:56
hi
At least Toyota finally rectified the issue eventually . Toyota Australia is responsible for the design issue and MOST CLEARLY PRACTICES AVOIDANCE .
In recent years Toyota Oz have become VERY money hungry . How can you strip an SR5 put a few different parts on it and then charge 10,000$ +++ more . Many car makers treat ozzys with contempt.
All models delivered here are stripped down luxury /options deleted for Australia , why to make Tojam Oz more profit .

alloy wheels and GPS 2000$ WTF they were free the year B4 and still are in other countries
[Modified Prado wheel ]. Instead the dealer offers u BUTT ugly dealer genuine accessories

Funnily our Toyota was written off for be by someone else and insurance wanted to replace vehicle with a DPF effected model ....WTF I said keep searching for an upgraded model ,essentially the2021 model [debut in sept 2020]. Took 6mths in court .
AnswerID: 640129

Reply By: Gbc.. - Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 09:13

Saturday, Apr 09, 2022 at 09:13
“Not essential”….. see how far you can drive one in full limp mode on the side of the Highway. So glad this part of my life is finished. We lived it with a fleet of them for 4 years until Toyota replaced them. It still cost us more in down time than the replacement cars were worth. No issues with the new ones to be fair.
AnswerID: 640137

Reply By: Member - Soft-Roader - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 11:45

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 11:45
About time too. I had a 2012 LC 200 that had very expensive engine issues so I swapped it for the Prado (with a better payload) in 2016. 65,000km in 18 months, and after the third DPF died I gave up on all Toyota diesels for good. Being an early adopter of the 2.8L, I had endless arguments with Toyota (it's your fault, it's the way you drive, this is the first we've seen) for two years and I had to get rid of it.

It does not go into limp-home mode when the DPF fails. It stops it from starting, and I wouldn't risk my family with that in the outback.

The TMCA engineer knew the fault - at highway speeds the air cooled the DPF unit to the point where the burn was ineffective. They then did three ECU updates. Then added a button you could press after a long stint on the highway coming into town. No other diesel needed this - including Jeep and Mitsubishi I owned with DPFs.

Got rid of it at a loss, and bought a Y62 Patrol. I am now a petrol convert, and love having the power to overtake back again. No turbo's, no EGR, no DPF, no adblue - just naturally aspirated power. Fuel between the LC200 and the Y62 was 13.3L/100 vs 16.8L/100 (measured on an app, over 130,000km on the LC and 68,000km on the Y62). Now needed a ute - and the only petrol 4x4 is the Gladiator (13.9L/100 over 7,800km so far).

Toyota are the most frustrating company to deal with. It's not the dealers - they are great. My local (who when through all my woes) was awesome and in the end kept supplying me with all the bulletins TMCA put out - including the "do three visits before you replace DPF" one. That is - Tell the customer to adjust their driving style (first visit), Do a manual DPF burn and send them on their way (second visit), to take measurements and order a new DPF (third visit) - and then you need a fourth visit to replace the DPF. That's 12 visits in addition to my 10000km visits I did. Appalling.

BUT - then out of the blue two years after I sold (late 2019) they called and suggested I had a bad run (just after the Class action commenced). I got paid back all my purchasing costs less sale costs, all my costs for added extra's, and 12 days worth of my wages for time off work to sort out. That's good, but way too late and only brought on by class action. At the time - all I asked for was a swap to their then-in-runout model Petrol Prado.... would have been far cheaper for them at the time.
Lachlan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640153

Reply By: swampy - Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 16:51

Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 16:51
Hi
Its Toyota Australia who are making these sh.t decisions . The first rule of warranty is deny deny deny or first time seen this . really LOL ...........
Same as the cracked piston 06-`15 hilux , never seen that b4 WTF !! . Was a well documented o/seas well b4 it became common knowledge in Australia .
Australia Toyota must be employing ex Ford workers [Ranger ,nope never seen a transmission problem b4 ].
AnswerID: 640156

Sponsored Links