Camper Trailer Mattresses

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2022 at 18:06
ThreadID: 143542 Views:7416 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.
We have a PMX (ie: EzyTrail ) Sterling GT camper trailer that still has the standard foam mattress, albeit that we have added a memory foam topper to try to make it a little more comfortable - unfortunately, I still find it pretty uncomfortable!
I am thinking about having a slim custom innerspring mattress made up for it, but thought that I should check to see what other people's experiences with the slim innerspring mattresses is?
Does anyone that has tried both the foam & innerspring mattresses have any opinions as to whether it is worth the cost of having an innerspring mattress made up?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Apr 11, 2022 at 21:00

Monday, Apr 11, 2022 at 21:00
Hi Nic k
We have a Tvan campertrailer and a Bushtracker caravan. Both have innerspring mattresses. For the Bushtracker we opted NOT to have a foam mattress for as you have found we find them unsupportive and unpleasant in hot weather. We purchased an innerspring caravan matress from Makin Mattresses for the Bushtracker. These mattresses are much lighter than the standard houshold mattress and can be ordered in a variety of sizes. We loved our Tvan innerspring mattress and have been sleeping on that since 2013. So far the Bushtracker mattress has proven excellent to sleep on. The BT is a queen width, double length version.Check out the following from Makin Mattresses.
https://www.makinmattresses.com.au/caravan-mattress-matilda/
By the way they were excellent to deal with.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640162

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 07:32

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 07:32
I second Robert's experience with Makin Mattresses. We used to own a Jayco Penguin with a very uncomfortable foam mattress so threw that out and got MM to make an innerspring for us. A few years ago we upgraded from the Penguin to a Jayco Freedom poptop, which has rounded corners on the double bed at the foot end and came with - you guessed it - a very uncomfortable foam mattress. Back to MM who made a lovely innerspring with rounded corners at the foot end. We now enjoy comfortable sleeps in the caravan.
FollowupID: 919232

Reply By: Member - Northern Wanderer - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 00:02

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 00:02
Nick,
Have you considered an air mattress?
We’ve got a camper trailer that was supplied with an inner spring mattress that was way too firm for us. We decided to go with two Exped Megamat 10 LXW air mattresses. Not cheap but waited for a Snowys sale. Most comfortable mattress I’ve slept on and adjustable to suit my preference. Just be aware that they are quite long (to cater for tall people) so make sure they fit into in your available space and aren’t too long. Check out the reviews on the Snowys site.
Having a comfortable sleep when you are away from home and doing lots of driving or walking is pretty important.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 640163

Follow Up By: Gusthebus - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 14:51

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 14:51
6mths round Australia in a tent enjoying our Exped 10 lxw. They suited our set-up. Haven't replaced them. Still using 3yrs later
FollowupID: 919234

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:17

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:17
FWIW, Snowys have an Easter sale on right now. The 10cm Expeds are well discounted at $240 (less a few cents) and the 15cm Expeds are $400 (ditto), which I think is also discounted, but not by as much as the 10cms. Which to get? Decisions, decisions.
FollowupID: 919239

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 15:53

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 15:53
Briste, you have a Karavan, don't you?

We have gone to the Expeds for a few reasons-
- weight reduction
- individual comfort
- in the Karavan, if you choose the 100mm models you can leave the bed made up when you close up.

Having said that last point, we bought the 150mm models for the extra comfort. Mrs P has bad hips and finds it difficult to get comfortable. These mattresses are more comfortable than those at home! The mattress on the passenger side can stay inflated because the bedwall hinge line is higher on that side and the wall doesn't fold flat, so no stress on the hinge.

On the drivers side we deflate the mattress. It is then compresses low enough not to be a problem when the drivers side bedwall folds flat. It is no big deal to pump it up at night with the nifty pump they give you.

Because of the drivers side issue we still strip the bed before closing. Ie anti-condensation ventilator mesh underneath, mattress protector on top then two sheets. Blankets or doona carried on the seats.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919254

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 16:51

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 16:51
Frank, we've had this exact discussion on KKOG recently. I've just ordered the 15cms to take advantage of the sale. I am hoping to be able to leave the bed made up (not pillows tho'), and use a vacuum of some sort to deflate the DS mattress sufficiently, as another owner on KKOG reported doing. Campers fully deflate them and roll them up so it should be possible to deflate it just enough without too much hassle. I guess it's an open question whether that's more hassle than unmaking and remaking the bed, but at least it should be doable. We will see. Leaves the seats free for other items.
FollowupID: 919255

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 17:34
Hi Briste,

I just pull the deflate plug, lie on the bed for a few minutes to deflate it and leave it. No need for a vacuum pump.

The deflator port has a one-way valve so it won't reinflate. When you lower the top and see the DS wall starting to push on the bed just slow things up a bit to give time for any further compression to happen without stressing the wall's hinge.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now with no problems to date.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919256

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 18:01

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 18:01
"I just pull the deflate plug, lie on the bed for a few minutes to deflate it and leave it. No need for a vacuum pump."

No point in repeating here all that discussion from KKOG, but suffice it to say the advice from the other 15cm Exped owner was that while you certainly _can_ do it without a vaccum / pump, using one will speed the process up. In our travelling couple, relative physical abilities mean that I do most of the pack-up work, and I do travel on my own a bit as well, so anything that speeds up the process is a good thing.
FollowupID: 919257

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 22:42

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 22:42
I confess I didn't keep up with the whole discussion on KKOG, so forgive me for any repetition here.

Cheers and sweet dreams :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919269

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 10:34

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022 at 10:34
'slim' is the defining word there. Inner springs are awesome when you have enough height to have a proper one. My rear fold camper came with an innerspring which was awful (chinese so no surprises). I bought the kimberley kampers deluxe innerspring - it too was not good. Ended up with a foam (green) 3" mattress with a foam 2" egg shell from clark rubber (more $ than the kimberley mattress) and it is something my 130 kg frame looks forward to lying on. I tried a few options on the shop floor until i settled on what i bought.
The available height with folding campers adds a level of complexity that needs to be worked around. I wouldn't say either was better, but there is definitely both cheap and excellent versions of foam and spring.
AnswerID: 640165

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:32

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:32
When did you buy the Kimberley Kampers deluxe innerspring? It used to be a fairly firm mattress, but now it's the plush camper mattress from Beds Direct.https://bedsdirect.com.au/products/caravan-mattresses/

I assume the switch was made by the new Kimberley owners, so in early 2019, but that's just a guess.

I find the newer model quite comfortable, but am thinking of switching to a pair of Expeds, partly for additional comfort, partly to isolate partner movement, and partly to make packing up the Karavan easier, as I can leave the bed made up by deflating one of the mattresses a little. The Beds Direct plush inner spring mattress is quite good for a 13cm thick mattress, and were it not for those additional factors I'd be happy to stick with it.
FollowupID: 919240

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 20:36

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2022 at 20:36
Mine was 2018 - original company deluxe mattress, cut to the shape of the kamper. Would have been maybe 100mm thick at best?
FollowupID: 919264

Reply By: NavaraNick - Thursday, Apr 14, 2022 at 10:07

Thursday, Apr 14, 2022 at 10:07
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I ended up going the ExPed option (2 x 10cm mattresses), so we will see how they go!
Cheers
AnswerID: 640188

Sponsored Links