Solar.

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 19:41
ThreadID: 143568 Views:4144 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A battery is like a bank account. It is not possible to bank more than comes in. Having excess storage is not only pointless, but will cause you to lose some of what you have - because battery losses relate to their number and size.

The maximum battery capacity must never exceed that which you can readily fully charge most days. Ideally have about 250 watts of solar per 100 Ah battery capacity. Large solar capacity is fine (and also now cheap). Excess battery capacity is bad (and costly).

Example: A nominally (i.e. what it said in the advt) 250 watts of solar with 5 Peak Sun Hours/day will produce about 175 watts (70% of 250 watts) for five hours/day (that is about 880 watt hours/day). Allowing for charging losses, that will bring a 12 volt 100 amp hour (1200 watt hour) battery from about 35% charge to close to 100% charge in one day. As a good system should be designed to discharge by less than 30% overnight (i.e 70% charge remaining), that gives a healthy margin for occasional deeper charges – and days with less sun.

The best working systems are like this – a lot of solar capacity, not that much battery. This way, the battery will substantially recharge on days of little or next to no sun. And the battery/s will last years longer. (If you need more storage, you must increase solar capacity in at least proportion – ideally higher.)

For many purposes (strongly recommended in my books and used on our previously-owned OKA and Tvan for years) is to run from solar alone. This is simple and works very well. The Tvan and 4.2 litre Nissan Patrol tow vehicle each had totally independent systems, but interconnectable if required (which it never was). This works well if either part requires service.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:20

Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:20
As I read your description of what constitutes a 'good' system I was thinking "This is describing precisely what we have had in our previous vehicle, & what we also have in our Tvan +4.2 Patrol. Then I realised who '2517' was & the reason that the description sounded like a description of system design I would advocate was because from the outset I used your books as my guide. The result is that I had a reliable system in our bus, with AGM's which lasted over 12 years, & replaced the AGMs in our Patrol last year after one of the three failed at just under 10 years old (including 5 years full time use). Hope you are well old friend - long time since I've seen you online anywhere. All the very best to Maarit & yourself. Regards Cuppa.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640229

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:57

Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:57
Elucidate Cuppa as to the author of such sense and sensibility please
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919320

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 20:58
Maybe someone like Collyn?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919321

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 21:13

Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 21:13
Welcome "2517".
The only thing not clear is the significance of that number. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 640231

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 22:15

Sunday, Apr 17, 2022 at 22:15
I know this is largely an opinion based thread because there is no absolutely right answer but I disagree with your approach.

The battery losses are proportional to the size of the batteries and if you have double the battery capacity you will have double the losses. But you've also got twice the capacity so you still end up with more usable storage.

We have 200Ah of batteries in our Tvan and 400W of solar. If it's sunny and we're parked in a good spot it charges to 100% by early morning. But if we're parked in an area with lots of tree canopy or if it is overcast then it doesn't charge much at all. All the solar in the world isn't any use if there is no sun! In that case you want as much battery capacity as you can so you can last a few days only getting a partial charge each day.

Perhaps it comes down to what you define as "excess storage". With your 100Ah example you're only going to survive 1 day without sun (assuming you lost 30% overnight so you will lose 30% during the day as well). 200Ah would give you 2 days... etc.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640232

Sponsored Links