3 die in truck smash

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:40
ThreadID: 14361 Views:2345 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
3 die in truck smash
July 4, 2004

A BUNCH of tiger lilies was the lone tribute to three family members killed in a horror car accident 60km west of Morgan yesterday.

A Riverland local left the floral tribute on the family's compacted 4WD, which had been involved in a collision with a B-double truck, just off the Overland Corner Rd.

Damage to the four-wheel-drive was so severe police were unable to remove the dead at the scene and had to wait for Major Crash investigators before taking the wreckage to Barmera.

Police believe an over-taking manoeuvre gone wrong may have been the cause of the accident. The four-wheel-drive had been towing a caravan.

The force of the collision pushed the vehicles 100m off the road into scrubland, killing the three family members instantly.

Riverland Highway Patrol's Senior Constable Trevor Marshall said it was one of the most shocking accidents he had attended.

"It can only be described as horrific," he said. "It's usually a safe road; it's rare for any fatals to happen here." It is believed the family – a husband and wife and their adult daughter, who recently married – had just visited a friend, who lived locally.

They were heading towards Morgan around 12.15pm when the accident happened.

Their friend, travelling behind the family party, witnessed the accident and was treated by Barmera paramedics for shock.

Police were reluctant to comment on the cause of the accident, but were hoping to interview the truck driver, who had been taken to Waikerie Hospital in shock.

However, Senior Constable Marshall believed an overtaking manoeuvre and weather conditions might have contributed to the tragedy. "It's very windy on this stretch of road today," he said. "A car towing a caravan and the B-double truck could have been affected by the weather.

"It was certainly not speed, as this model truck can travel no more than 100km/h."

Last night, CFS and SES crews were waiting for Major Crash investigators to arrive from Adelaide before taking the vehicles to Barmera and notifying next of kin.

It is believed the family is survived by two adult sons.

Overland Corner Hotel chef Andrew Madge went to the scene, shortly after the accident.

"It's just shocking," he said. "I got a call after it happened and was told to bring some blankets.

I've seen nothing like this before."

It is the second fatal accident in the Riverland region this year.

The Riverland Highway Patrol attends seven to eight fatal accidents each year, but the area is considered relatively safe.

"It's a good stretch of road," Senior Constable Marshall said. "This one accident has taken us to almost our yearly average."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:50

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 13:50
This sort of thing is bad enough just to read about, let alone being involved or family or friends involved. really sickening. The best roads in the world will not fix driver error, sad thing is the person who makes the error, is not always the one who pays the price. They say for every person killed , about 20 families are affected..
AnswerID: 66391

Reply By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:33

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 14:33
It is always a tragic loss of life when someone is killed one way or another. When those victims come from a small country town, everybody feels the loss more so.
This is my neck of the woods so to speak, although I was not aware of the incident until reading about it on EO.
For those who look up on a map for the location, Overland Corner is actually East of Morgan closer to Barmera.
Yesterday was a blustery day and would not be difficult to understand how it happened. The fact that the vehicle involved was a 4WD would have little effect on the outcome.
AnswerID: 66394

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:28

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:28
"The fact that the vehicle involved was a 4WD would have little effect on the outcome."

except to the press....
FollowupID: 327200

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 18:28

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 18:28
Yeah, I guess that scumbag Scrubbrain will have his two bobs worth.
FollowupID: 327226

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 19:13

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 19:13
Interesting that the press headlined it as a 'Truck Smash'. Unlikely that it was the truck's fault - have to see the coroner's report in a year or so. Heavy vehicles always seem to get the short end of the stick. Truck vs 4WD gets bad press for trucks. 4WD vs car gets bad press for 4WDs.

John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 327230

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 22:11

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 22:11
Ray,

Did ya see him on todaytonight spewing about lack of parking cops in Mosman inbleepney? He was like a little kid...

Jiarna... yea agree on the headlines, they will have a blitz on trucks again.
from what I read on another forum, he passed the truck, lost Control, and truck had nowhere to go, but again, its all hearsay, theres only a few that know what happened..

RIP...
FollowupID: 327254

Reply By: Sparkie - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 07:58

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 07:58
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it. I asked about it saturday night and am sorry to hear how bad it actually was. I saw a fraction of it on the late news and asked about it out of curiousity but now wish I had kept my mouth shut and gone to bed ten minutes earlier.

R.I.P

Sparkie(IE not Y) 8-(
AnswerID: 66478

Sponsored Links