Adjustable shocks

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:15
ThreadID: 14366 Views:1419 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Seeking a few expert opinions on the correct use of adjustable shocks and the settings. I have head a diverse range of opinions and even conflicting info from suppliers when questioned.
I'm very concious of the necessity to adjust tyre pressures according to circumstances but how critical is shock dampening adjustment if it can be applied. ??

How would you set the adjustments ( say, soft - medium - hard) when using the wagon in the following circumstances.

1. Unladen, around town on sealed roads

2. Laden, on high speed country bitumen roads

3. Uhladen, dirt roads with corregations

4. Laden, dirt & corregated roads

5. Laden, in sand hills & desert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:26

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 15:26
Its up to you how you like the car to handle...

Trial and error, me and mate both have same car, same accessories pretty much, we both like different setups.
AnswerID: 66402

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 23:07

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 23:07
I always thought bitumen and unladen use the soft setting.
Laden on rough roads use the firm setting.
Everything else in between use the medium setting.
In the sand and on corrugations,tyre pressure and driving speed are the dominant factors.
You would probably get better handling characteristics on bitumen with the hard setting,but compromising ride comfort.
For the shockies to work correctly,the rubber mountings need to be in good condition.If they're worn out they become softer than the shockie and thus compress rather than the shock absorber.
But it really is down to personal peferences,driving habits and the vehicle.
AnswerID: 66461

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 23:26

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 23:26
My Ranchos on soft setting is like driving a large marshmallow.. you wouldnt want that on the road all the time...

Hardest settign on mine, would give Michael Shumaker a run for his money....

YMMV
FollowupID: 327270

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 07:20

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 07:20
I am no expert, but from experience have found that the softer the setting the better handling of corrigations. Originally had my Ranchos on the hardest setting for "Extreme" conditions, buggered them in a couple of days, travelled 700 k's with no front shockers, handled corrigations very well, just the drains etc that where a problem. Now run softer settings, until I can fit the in cab controller to allow fine tuning on the run, hard for bitumen, soft for corrigations, off road work, etc. Just my two cents worth.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 66474

Reply By: banjodog - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:25

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 08:25
Food for thought - http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Archive/2004_3/12853.asp
AnswerID: 66482

Sponsored Links