Winch or not....

Submitted: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 23:15
ThreadID: 143687 Views:6186 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day mates,
after al my researches and your help I was ready to buy a winch and install it.

With my friends here I got a huge discusion about the need of it...
They say :

if you ever get in the situation to need a winch you were on the wrong way.

if you are stuck then you certainly don't want to move forward but rather backward .

More important is a good recovery kit...

Dont wast your money..

What do you think?

cheers
Heiner (finally back in australia)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 06:19

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 06:19
Definitely agree. I don't carry a winch, mainly because I mostly travel outback and in deserts. There are not many anchor points. If I were to go into the high country then I'd consider one.
AnswerID: 640485

Reply By: qldcamper - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 07:38

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 07:38
If you have already run the question by the group and got their opinions, why are you asking it again?
AnswerID: 640486

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 08:27

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 08:27
Good question hmm . What was the other post with the huge discussion ?? I do remember reading it, but can't find it now..
Nor do I think this latest post makes a lot of sense considering
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 919565

Reply By: Genny - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 07:50

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 07:50
I was certainly grateful some kind soul had a winch on Fraser. MaxTrax, and an hour on the shovels, and we were still going nowhere. Mind you, there was nearly two tonnes of camper trailer on the back.
AnswerID: 640488

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 14:16

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 14:16
That’s the reality of having a winch. You spend half your time recovering ill equiped stuck people. I wouldn’t be without mine though, I travel solo. As for only going forward, I think the OP should canvass people with actual experience.
FollowupID: 919572

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 08:47

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 08:47
Why ask what others think , you know where you go .

( if you are stuck then you certainly don't want to move forward but rather backward ) no that's garbage I have winched myself out of trouble by going forward plenty of times .

I have probably help others more than myself .

I have always had a front mounted winch , it doesn't get used very much but when it's needed Im glad it there

( More important is a good recovery kit ) you should have a kit anyway winch or no winch

Yep they cost a few $$$$ and its extra weight .
AnswerID: 640489

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 09:10

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 09:10
Hi Hiener,

These friends you were discussing with, do any of them have a winch? My guess is that they don’t.

I have used my my winch to get me out of trouble in sand by using another vehicle as an anchor, and winching forward off them on more than one occasion, and with a 1.5 Tonne camper trailer on the back. Just because as one person has put it “you are mainly in the desert so not many anchor points”, another vehicle makes a great anchor point.

Don’t second guess yourself once you have made a decision based on all the facts and figures, pros and cons. Yes a good basic recovery kit is also a must, and should include things like gloves, Maxtrax/Tredd Boards, rated shackles, snatch strap, winch extension strap/rope, snatch block, tyre plug repair kit, spare tyre valves and valve inserts, an air compressor, tyre deflater, a quality tyre pressure gauge. A winch also forms part of the recovery kit.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640491

Reply By: nick g1 - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 18:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 18:02
Sometimes nature throws something at you that you carn't predict. We where at a remote camp in a N P and had a wind wild storm overnight. Went to check rd out and a tree had come down over the rd. Yes we could have spent hrs chainsawing it but one winch pull got it out of the way much quicker.
I would say if you can afford it go for it.
It is another tool in you recovery kit. You won't need it until you need it. It can be used for a lot of other things other than recovery, like draging trees for firewood.
AnswerID: 640500

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 21:08

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 21:08
I've got a Bogout wheel winch for when I'm stuck and nobody is around. It weighs the same as a snatch strap. I've been all over the place, deserts, beaches, high country, all solo. I couldn't be bothered carting either a bullbar or a winch everywhere, they add weight and add fuel expense. After 30 years I see no reason to change. Many people disagree with me though.
AnswerID: 640503

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 08:17

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 08:17
Here's a handy tip about winches from someone who can't be bothered buying one. :-) On regular occasions I've pulled people with winches out of bogs with a tow rope because their winches don't work anymore. Maybe they've been through too many river crossings and not been serviced enough, who knows? But it's a bummer to cart around your expensive insurance policy for years and have it fail right when you need it most. Test and service them regularly just like your car.
FollowupID: 919586

Reply By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 23:47

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 23:47
Thank you for your constructive responses.

I decided to buy the winch thanks to my gut feeling and your answers.
In my ARB Bullbar the mounts fits most winches.

Since I will be alone on the road I find it important to secure me as far as possible / necessary.
The purchase is made and the installation follows. (DIY!!!???).

For all those who consider the contribution superfluous: Sorry to have robbed your time.

Heiner

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
AnswerID: 640506

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 04:18

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 04:18
If your alone, I would be investing in a sat phone and something that displays your exact position,or an epirb.
If you experience a snake bite then at least they will find your body.
FollowupID: 919582

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 07:15

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 07:15
DIY winch install is simple enough, but can be heavy work trying to locate it in behind the bar. Some cars need the bar removed.
Good old ARB keep insisting that winches be mounted 'feet forward', thus necessitating a quick rotate of the winch gearbox 90 degrees - this is about the easiest part of the process. Then you have to hold the winch up in place while locating the mounting bolts.
Installing winches is always best done with a friend.
FollowupID: 919585

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 12:34

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 12:34
@qldcamper: I am thinking about a sat phone with prepaid.
an epirb (personal beacon) is already on board (i think this should be mandatory for all travelers).

@Gbc..: That's exactly what I'm worried about. the weight of the bullbar AND the weight of the winch.
So I definitely dont do it alone.

thanks.

Heiner
FollowupID: 919593

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 15:13

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 15:13
Heiner,
Take a look at the communications section on this site or here for info on satphone networks available in Australia. Thuraya is definitely the cheapest option for purchase and plans, calls are a standard Australian mobile number for incoming. In south east Australia the satellite is fairly low in the sky ~22 deg so hills and thick belts of trees can limit reception more than in the north. I'd also use headphones or an earpiece to maintain a good lock on the satellite.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 919598

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 13:42

Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 13:42
I have carried a winch around for many years on the front of My vehicle and only ever helped one or two others and often thought why bother, particularly at change overtime. Last year alone in the backblocks of Currawinya NP managed to get horribly bogged. Now I know that the effort of maintaining and carrying it around was worthwhile.
Regards,
Mike P.
AnswerID: 640513

Reply By: Member - David H72 - Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 16:17

Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 16:17
If you do a DIY install make sure you run all your cabling to the rear and side, not across the front, of the engine bay then, if you have a crash, you don’t have all that 12v cabling fractured or chafed, trying to cause a fire.
Melbourne Vic. Land Rover Disco 4, AOR Matrix Pop Top

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640545

Sponsored Links