Exploroz Traveller GPS quirks

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 22:35
ThreadID: 143816 Views:5474 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I recently used the traveller app for a trip out to the Geo-Centre of the Simpson.
Whilst it worked well for the most part except for the occasional glitch where it wouldn’t track my speed correctly and kept jumping back to 0kph. This was fixed with a quick close of the app and opening it back up again.

I also noted the altitude shown seems to be off by around 20 metres, as sometimes I’d be driving near the ocean and apparently am 20 metres below sea level.

The main thing that is a bit of a pain is when looking back at the track logs. The times I’ve stopped moving and parked up at camp for the night are all incorrect. As are the times I depart camp in the morning.

I guess if I leave the tracking on, the GPS, not being 100% accurate, thinks the vehicle is moving 10 or 20 metres and records this in the trip log.

Any solutions to save me having to edit the track logs every day?
If I turn the tracking off when arriving into camp and turn it back on when departing the next day, will this still show up as my overnight locations on the logs?

I’d also like to have more than 3 odometers available, is this possible?

I’m running the app on a Samsung S7 Tablet that has plenty of grunt, it runs smooth as silk, just the quirks above are annoying.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: @Yackandandah - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 23:25

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 23:25
I’ve had exactly the same issue with the speed flicking back to zero. I have raised a issue with the help desk.
AnswerID: 640788

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 07:53

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 07:53
Morning Steve

I’m use an iPad, user’s of Samsung may be able to help you especially if the problems are device specific.

There was an issue where the speed panel was flicking back to zero, this was corrected back in update 7.2.1, I think. My iPad does not do this since the update. What I have noticed since the next 7.2.2 update is that if you sit idle long enough and your GPS symbol turns orange indicating no movement, it will not pick up when moving again, and the speed panel stays on zero, no heading °. Simply tap the symbol & it wakes up.

The Altitude difference could well be the GPS in your device, the App is computer corrected every 20 mins for Altitude when in phone service, when out of service it reads directly from the device GPS.

I’m not sure about the times problems.

I rarely leave the App open (running) when camped & don’t seem to have the location difference you mention. Yes this shows as your overnight locations.

Only 3 odometers are available.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640790

Reply By: Member - Stevemc181 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:46

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:46
Yep, I also noticed that the GPS symbol turns orange when I’m sitting still for awhile and I need to manually tap it on again when moving. However it’s when I’m moving and the symbol is green that several times a day I will need to restart the app to stop it flickering back to zero km/h

I’ve got the latest update 7.2.2 and can’t say I’d noticed this happening prior to the update on the same tablet.

Regarding odometers, I might put a request in, to see if the number of them can be increased in a future update.
I’d like to record.
Total trip km
Km since last refuel
Daily km
Km from start of track
Km from last waypoint etc.

I suspect the tablets GPS is the cause of the inaccurate altitude readings as well. Not sure I can do anything about this. However Ozi Explorer shows me from my house, I am at -2m. Exploroz traveller shows me I'm at -19m so a substantial difference there on the same tablet.
AnswerID: 640795

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:59

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:59
Hi Steve

Have you tried using OziExplorer?

Very reliable with lots of features
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640796

Follow Up By: Member - Stevemc181 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 10:39

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 10:39
I’ve been using Ozi Explorer exclusively for years, however I like some of the features available in the traveller app.
I think Ozi is in need of some major updates, as it’s starting to look a bit old and dated.

FollowupID: 919850

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 10:42

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 10:42
Hi Steve,

I've noticed the wandering GPS when stationary at home in the snail trail, but not in a saved Track log.

This pic is part of a saved track log including an overnight camp. I've zoomed right in and there is no evidence of the wandering GPS in the Track Log.

However, like you, my camp departure and arrival times are often inaccurate. Mostly it's the arrival times. We are always camped up by about 4pm, but Traveller often records the end of a day's travel hours later, like 9 or 10pm. I don't know what's going on there. Perhaps there is some built-in logic so that after a period of random GPS movement the app decides that there is no actual travelling happening and records that decision time as the end of a day's travel - but that doesn't explain why you see the random tracks and I don't.

Re altitudes, I vaguely recall David explaining that but I have no idea where. Might be worth another query.

"If I turn the tracking off when arriving into camp and turn it back on when departing the next day, will this still show up as my overnight locations on the logs?"
Not sure about that, probably worth a test on a non-critical trip.

I use a Samsung Tab S6. When we stop for the day I briefly press the power button to close the screen. I've always done it this way for no particular reason other than it seemed logical to me. I don't see a wandering stationary position in my Track logs and my overnights are recorded. Next time I'm out I'll look more closely for a wandering snail trail after an overnight camp but I don't recall seeing one to date.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640797

Follow Up By: Member - Stevemc181 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 11:00

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 11:00
I also switch off the screen when we’ve pulled up for the day, Usually just to save unnecessary current draw on the aux battery.

When I look at the days log, I’ll see 4 or 5 positions with the time recorded during the night before midnight. I’ll delete the obviously incorrect ones, but sometimes they’ll be stacked on top of each other and I can’t zoom in enough to seperate them.

I end up moving each one out of the way and then deleting whatever is incorrect and then moving the point with the correct time back into position. It works, but it’s a pain in the butt to do each time,

I’ll test a few things out on my next trip, but I think shutting off the app after dropping a way point to indicate a camp, might be the most accurate way to mark overnight positions.
FollowupID: 919851

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Saturday, Jun 11, 2022 at 16:31

Saturday, Jun 11, 2022 at 16:31
7.2.2 user here with an Android tablet.. have the same issue with the speed flicking back to zero or just not tracking.. happens every morning and I have to restart the app.
AnswerID: 640823

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Jun 11, 2022 at 20:07

Saturday, Jun 11, 2022 at 20:07
I find it a bit hard to compare as I only use the app in tracking mode, live in the vehicle once or twice a year, but I get the feeling that the current version has more issues than previous versions. I have found that it often won't track on morning startup. Sometimes it's because it can't find satellites, other times it will have satellites but still won't work and various app/tablet restarts perhaps fix the issue, although sometimes it just starts working, so really don't know. Restarting etc while only minor is a real irritation when you've just hit the road and need to find a spot to pull over and reboot the tablet. The almost permanently overcast weather may have played a role, but I can't recall having this issue previously. I fixed the freezing when the internet was lost by only using offline maps, but the current issue seems new.

NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 640824

Reply By: @Yackandandah - Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 10:41

Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 10:41
Another quirk that has started happening to me with Traveller as well as the flickering speedo. The elevation is showing a negative number. I have restarted both the app and the head unit & still the same. Oziexplorer works fine. I will submit another help desk request.
AnswerID: 640830

Follow Up By: Member - Stevemc181 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:53

Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:53
Yep, mine is the same, the altitude seems to be a fairway out and has me driving down beaches apparently below sea level.
FollowupID: 919881

Reply By: Member - Dick L - Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 15:46

Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 15:46
GPS altitude inaccuracy as explained by Garmin. Other GPS makers have similar examples.

Also read page 35 of the User Manual re Altitude

Garmin Support

AnswerID: 640832

Follow Up By: @Yackandandah - Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 17:21

Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 17:21
The alto issue isn’t with the GPS, Oziexplorer doesn’t have this problem, the problem is with Traveller
FollowupID: 919886

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 17:52

Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 at 17:52
While I have noticed discrepancies from time to time, here's a screenshot showing Traveller and Ozi running in split screen mode on a Samsung Tab S6, so obviously sharing the GPS input. Altitudes are within 1 m.

EDIT: Sometimes they drift apart - I see a 10m difference now, 10 minutes after my initial post.
But whatever the vertical drift, the horizontal positions remain identical, which is probably more important for the average user.

I was within internet coverage for this screenshot.

SECOND EDIT: Some four hours after the previous edit Traveller is still showing 137m altitude but Ozi has changed to 125m. I assume that is because Traveller has applied the correction it gets from on-line sources, but Ozi does not. The contour intervals on EOTopo do not enable me to decide which one is correct, but the fact that the one that looks for correction (Traveller) is stable and the other is not suggests to me that Traveller is correct in this instance.

Having said that, I do note that where there is no on-line correction available for Traveller the two, Traveller and Ozi, may be considerably different and I do not know why.

THIRD EDIT: An old Magellan Explorist 600 reports an altitude of 113m with a 3D fix with 8 satellites, while a Spot X tracker reports 116m as did GPS Status on my phone. I just took the tablet outside to where the Magellan, the Spot and the phone were tested. Traveller stayed fixed on 137m, Ozi showed 116m. The best map I have (Get Lost 1:25k) shows a 110m contour close to my location, so 113, 116, 116 and 116 pretty much agree with the map. So I'll backtrack a bit and say that Traveller's 137m altitude is a bit of an outlier in my off-the-cuff test but it is nowhere near the +/- 400ft (122m) that Garmin warns of.

All devices and apps reported an identical lat/long fix.

Again, I feel this altitude issue is more an academic aspect for most users rather than a practical one, but it highlights the possibility of altitude errors that Garmin describes in Dick L's link above and that allowances for inherent inaccuracy of altitude need to be made.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919887

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:55

Monday, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:55
I usually know when I'm underwater. Not sure who needs extremely accurate altitude information, other than pilots.
Sometimes it's just interesting to know, but a few metres here and there aren't a bother.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919901

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 13, 2022 at 15:55

Monday, Jun 13, 2022 at 15:55
Just spotted the latest comments here by Frank - one small correction here, Traveller DOES NOT give altitude correction (it used to in a very early version but not for years). The altitude comes directly from the GPS drivers in your device and has no correction algorithm applied once it arrives to the app. It will update as per the GPS Poll frequency settings in the app. If it says -1m however, that is a default we apply in the instance where the app is not receiving any location data from your GPS (eg. not acquired).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919918

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 19:52
Over the years I have been dealing with GPS I have been advised that the vertical accuracy is only half the horizontal accuracy. I suggest you factor that into your navigator readings.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919952

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:35
Something to keep in mind when using GPS to determine altitude.

For GPS units
Altitude error is specified to be 1.5x of Horizontal error specification. This means the general accuracy of the altitude provided is +/-23 meters of your actual altitude (in 95% of all cases, in the remaining 5% it may provide ANY value in return).

The GPS is not an altimeter. But it gives you an approximation.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640867

Follow Up By: Member - Stevemc181 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:52
Yep, after further reading, I can see the altitude will never be exact. This is not something that really concerns me and I can do without it.

The main issues for me, is the inaccuracy of arrival/departure times into camp when I look back at a trip log. I’m guessing my only real option here is to shut the app fully to make sure correct times are recorded and re-open it when I depart camp. Then I assume I’d also lose the overnight locations function?

Also the speedo flickering back and forth to zero km/h is another bug. This seems to happen randomly and only an app restart fixes it.
FollowupID: 919939

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 13:00

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 13:00
Steve,

FWIW I have not seen the flickering speedo issue on my S6. I suggest you raise the issue with the Helpdesk.

Re the arrival times, maybe you could suggest to David that if it cannot be easily fixed, add a control where you can tell the app "I have arrived for the night" and "I am departing" or some such.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919943

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 14:17

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 14:17
In regards elevation, there is a publicly available (CCL) 90m and a restricted access 30m pixel digital elevation model (DEM) for Australia. Not sure if this can be incorporated into navigation software. The former is used in some astrophotography apps such as Planit to give a silhouette of the terrain. It was developed from early 2000s Spaceshuttle Topographic Mapper missions. The 30m model is used for flood mapping and interpolating between met stations so that indicative historical weather data is available for crop yield models for example. It was created from the raw shuttle data by a colleague who worked in the same CSIRO lab as that I worked in.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 640868

Reply By: Member - Stevemc181 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 19:11
Michelle from Exploroz has just let me know that a new update to 7.3 addresses the flickering speed issue. I’ll give that a go on the next trip.

Michelle will ask David regarding the arrival/departure times. Hopefully there is a workaround.
AnswerID: 640877

Sponsored Links