Bow shackle size for snatching

Submitted: Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:25
ThreadID: 14385 Views:10355 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya, A quick question, what tonnage is minimun safety requirement for bow shackles for snatching a full size vehicle with a full size vehicle? Also is it safe to use the 16mm pin in the tow bar square hole that holds the tongue in place to attach the snatch strap. (To snatch or not to snatch,, that is the question ) Many thanks. Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:44

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:44
Personally I would NEVER snatch a vehicle whilst using a shackle. The risks are just not worth it as the recovering vehicle is the one that gets damaged when they fail let alone the risks to bystanders and occupants. If a shackle had to be used it would be a "tow" instead of snatching. I would not hesitate using the pin as long as the towbar ( and it should ) is attatched with high tensile bolts. In regards to shackle size 3.25 tonne or greater at the least is the rating I would use to tow or use in a recovery situation.

Cheers
AnswerID: 66507

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:48

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:48
G'day Michael,

Check the forum from a few weeks ago; this was a hotly-debated topic (ie: the issue of how/where to attach a snatch strap). I think the general concensus in the end was that it was okay to use the square box section, stick the snatch strap in the box and put the pin through it. Some were concerned the pin would bend inside the box and not be able to be retrieved....others said they had done many many difficult snatches this way and never had a bent pin; ever!!

As for shackles, I'd recommend the 4.7t if available, but no less than 3.2. I carry a few of both sizes and always go the heaviest one I can fit on the recovery point.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 66508

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:11

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:11
said it before, used my pin in hayman reece 100s of times never bent 1...
FollowupID: 327296

Reply By: Time - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 12:50

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 12:50
Agree with the NEVER EVER use when snatching. The shock loads can be enormous depending on the speed of the snatching vehicle, they can be well beyond the rated capacity of a shackle, and while on that subject tow balls should also never be used either, despsite various magazines saying it is OK, again the shock loads can be well above the rated capacity of the tow ball.

So in short use rated recovery points that are designed to bend, not break, and the worst that should happen is the snatch strap breaks. As mentioned above a shackle flying through the air at warp speed is a recipe for disastor
AnswerID: 66518

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:12

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:12
a shackle would make a missile that would go thru rear door, seats and dashboard, only stopping at the block.. taking you out with it.

there was a photo yrs ago of a Jeep that had that exact same thing happen, but no person was in the seat, would love to still have the photo...
AnswerID: 66519

Reply By: Hedonist - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:27

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:27
This is always a contentious issue, and there are lots of half truths and folklore masquerading as fact every time the words 'Shackle' and 'Snatch strap' appear in the same sentence.

1. Shackles must NEVER be used to join stach straps, winch extension ropes or the like.

2. It is PERFECTLY OK to use a shackle to connect a snatch strap to a rated recovery point. Minimum rating should be 3.2t SWLL. 4.7t if they will fit.

The weakest link in the recovery should always be the snatch strap. When it fails, the shackle will not become a projectile if it is firmly attached to a rated recovery point.

If two recovery points are available, a yoke should be used to spread the load between them. This reduces the risk of failure even further.

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 66529

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 18:07

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 18:07
Hi Michael,

All the above are valid views. Personally, if you can attach a snatch strap to a hook without using a shackle, then do so.

If you have no option, for example when the recovery point is an eye rather than a hook, use the largest bow shackle you can and never go below one rated at 3.25t SWL.
AnswerID: 66559

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:20
Using the largest shackle is a worry too - means it will be a bigger missile should the recovery point break.

Shackles are only ever used on loops (rather than rated hooks). Chances are that someone's going to fit a 4.7T shackle to one of those weak loops on the 120series prado, or 80series or any of the softroaders, ARB bullbar or whatever, and create a big missile.

Shackles never break - 3.25T is all I'd ever use.
AnswerID: 66642

Sponsored Links