punctured ratiator/broken fan

Submitted: Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:09
ThreadID: 14388 Views:1718 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
This weekend past I was enjoying the Woods Point area, when I heard a bang during a river crossing. Some time later I noticed steam rising from the bonnet, after a friend casually enquired "should that smoke be comming out from your bonnet". After investigating, a length of steel about 10mm by 1mm that runs the length of the radiator had come loose and broken a fan blade off, which resulted in two sizable holes in the radiator. Topping up with good Goulborne river water I limped back to Woods Point.

Here I used 'Aluminium seal Radiator and Block Sealer', when added to the radiator contents, sealed the holes after the engine was run for about 25mins.

My Questions to the forum are in regard to repair:

What would be a reasonable price for a replacement fan?
Can I leave the sealant (should I drain and refill the radiator)?
Should I get the radiator profesionally serviced, & what would this entail?

I drive a GQ 4.2 Diesel SWB, (was in low first for the river crossing)

Cheers
BigMav
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DARREN - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:42

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:42
Bigmav, Personally I would have the radiator fixed professionally, I have used those sort of things in older cars but would treat it as a temporary thing in these circumstances as I am pretty keen on having the cooling system in top condition.

Not related to your question, but I am interested in how the (goulburn) river height was, we were there last weekend and decided not to cross the river after much deliberation. First track on right out of woods point heading towards knockwood- not sure of name, involved entering the river bed then 15 or so metre drive upstream before exit. was only groin height on 6 foot bloke but we were concerned about the amount of water coming down (and pressure on radiator etc). Was this the crossing where your damage occured?
AnswerID: 66522

Follow Up By: BigMav - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:38
The Goulburn was full to its banks, no real flooding. I didn't think it was excessive & another shorty followed behind me with no problem, just bad luck I guess. The crossing was the first on the way to comet flat camp ground.
FollowupID: 327317

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:46

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 13:46
Take the whole vehicle to a radiator place and get it professionally flushed as you don't want the sealant to remain in the system any longer than necessary, it will eventually block anything that has a small enough orifice.
You will probably find that the fan blades bent forward in the water and hooked the strap off the radiator as well as gouging the tubes.
The repair and flush of the radiator could be anywhere from a couple of hundred to 5 or 600 depending on the actual damage and whether a recore is required. If there are only a couple of tubes broken it should be ok to solder them up if too many it may be best to get a recore.
Fan will be dependant on whether you buy new or s/hand.
Don't take shortcuts with cooling system repairs, cooked engines are infinitely more expensive to fix.
AnswerID: 66524

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:15

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:15
Replace the radiator with a good 4 core while your at it, wont cost much more than 3 core, and do it right do it once, dont keep driving with the bodged up one, if it leaks when you are nowhere near water, or something to plug it again, you will be fubar.

Which River?
heading there for a day drive sunday

was there much snow around Matlock area?
AnswerID: 66528

Follow Up By: BigMav - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:43

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:43
There was a little snow driving up friday through St Clair (approx 10k short of matlock), most had melted by Sunday, but we were still able to find some on a track 2nd or 3rd to the right heading back to melbourne from matlock (can't remember the name). Unless we have another good storm I'd say it would all be gone from that area in the next few days.
FollowupID: 327318

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:53

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:53
Going to do run up to mansfield, doing probably old coach, german spur, and then cross over the main road, and keep going that way, chasing some snow!

Running a club trip next mth up there, so gotta do some reccie work...
FollowupID: 327329

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:56

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:56
any chance of a photo of the offending item that bleep itself?
AnswerID: 66557

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:25
Sounds like the fan blades propellered forward into the radiator. This will make you a bit nervous about driving into water again.
AnswerID: 66660

Sponsored Links