Recommendations for Solar Blanket/Mat

Submitted: Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 11:29
ThreadID: 143888 Views:5948 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning, have tried the search function and the last post was 12 months ago. Any recommendations for a good 200 - 300 watt solar blanket? TIA.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 13:37

Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 13:37
H John

HardKorr sell some very good panels ...... efficient and made well to withstand rough treatment.

https://hardkorr.com/au/solar-panels/

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640907

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 14:19
Jim, thank you, will check them out. Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919982

Follow Up By: Member - Siringo - Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 14:45

Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 14:45
Yep, I've had a hardkor mat for 5 years and it's pretty well put together. 160W I think, it works pretty well.
FollowupID: 919983

Follow Up By: Briste - Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 21:28

Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 21:28
I bought a Hardkorr 200W mat last year, based on recommendations on this forum and from people I know whose views I respect. I'm about to ship it back under warranty. It's seriously underperforming. It seemed fine when brand new, but its perfomance quickly deteriorated.

The circumstances were a little confusing (long story omitted), but I finally got confirmation of its underperformance a couple of weeks ago when I was camped next to someone with the same panels and was able to do an A-B test eliminating all oher variables. He was getting well over 8W in low winter sun and I was struggling to get 5W. I've also seen a report of on FB of someone who had a series of faulty units,

It's true that my case is just a single instance, and the FB evidence is only heresay, but nonetheless I thought I should report my experience to indicate tha problems can an do happen. I can report how the warranty claimn goes once I know.
FollowupID: 919986

Follow Up By: Member - Siringo - Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 09:49

Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 09:49
Good post Briste. I'm no expert, but therein lies the problem with solar panels, you never know what you're going to end up with. But I think that's also common with many things now as there are so many manufacturers and distributors.

I try to buy things from businesses that have a good, long reputation & trading history where possible.

At least there should be someone to contact should the purchase go faulty.

Just to keep the post on topic, I ended up looking at solar blankets hours after posting above and have found 2 by HardKorr, both of which look good. I'd buy another HardKorr panel based on my experience with the current one I have.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 919987

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 13:31

Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 13:31
I hesitated to post because one person's experience plus a bit of hearsay doesn't amount to much. I did so hoping to flush out both good and bad experiences, as that may give me a sense of how isolated my experience is. It would be a pity of the OP was put off Hardkorr by my post if my experience is an isolated one, but if it's not then he should know.

I'm also interested in other recommended brands, if I decide not to stick with HK.

HK have send me an RA number, but I'm responsible for posting it back. Postage will be refunded if the warranty claim is upheld.
FollowupID: 919990

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 08:00

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 08:00
I have some HK items as well and are performing fine but the thing that turns me off this company for future purchases is you cannot ring them up as they don’t provide a phone contact. You are at their mercy to respond to an online enquiry request
I had a simple but important question to ask and it took 4 days to get a response which by then it didn’t matter anymore , I want better customer support than that and really turned me off

I have since focused my purchases to other Aussie companies in the same market that will provide better support
FollowupID: 920000

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 09:06

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 09:06
I made the same discovery. Took two days to get a reply to my online warranty form submission and get a return authorisation.

Which other local companies are you now using? The only other unqualified, first-hand recommendation in this thread so far is Redarc.
FollowupID: 920002

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 14:19

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 14:19
I’ve been using Springers Solar, in Brisbane, for my solar & 12v gear the past couple of years.

Don’t recall if they sell solar blankets, but they sell “everything” else! And excellent service too.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920006

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 23:59

Monday, Jun 20, 2022 at 23:59
Bristle I also have both Itechworld and Enerdrive gear and have no trouble calling and discussing their products with them
FollowupID: 920022

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Jul 02, 2022 at 10:46

Saturday, Jul 02, 2022 at 10:46
I promised an update on the outcome of my warranty claim for my under-performing Hardkorr 200W solar mat.

In short, it went fairly smoothly. It took two days to get an RA number after filling in the warranty claim form, but the claim was approved the day the mat arrived back at Hardkorr and the replacement was shipped the next day. The refund of my postage costs was a little slower - took over a week and required a prompt - but it happened last night.

I was sent a new, boxed package, the version without the regulator, plus the original solar regulator. I did a quick test of the replacement when it arrived and it seemed to be performing up-to-spec, but I haven't seen a lot of sun since then to do further testing. The previous set also performed up-to-spec when new, but not for long, so I hope history doesn't repeat itself. If you look at the reviews of this mat on the HK site, there are several recent reviews with similar symptoms to mine, i.e. under-performing, so I wonder whether there was a batch problem.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself because I like the package. The only reservations I have are that the regulator is PWM, and the 5m cable could be a thicker gauge.
FollowupID: 920107

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Jul 02, 2022 at 19:23

Saturday, Jul 02, 2022 at 19:23
P.s. Regarding phoning Hardkorr, here are a couple of numbers that I called or was called from: 07 3801 8491 (I think this is a public number) and 07 3801 8332 (could be a number for warranty). In addition, there is a phone number listed on the website for their camper division which you could try.
FollowupID: 920114

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 21:16

Friday, Jun 17, 2022 at 21:16
Hi John,

I have an ITechworld 200 watt folding blanket, it seems to be OK, I know some of their stuff has had mixed reviews , but this blanket seems good. Also, have a look at Renogy products, well priced, and receives good reviews.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640912

Follow Up By: Exuberan - Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 10:57

Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 10:57
Macca, I would agree with your comment on Itechworld kit. I bought their 500w portable power station to run a 12v electric blankek drawing initially 60-70w before pulling less once settled. You could see the power ebbing away on the digital readout, dropping power by the minute. Took it back after 1 week
FollowupID: 919988

Reply By: Rob A1 (SA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 16:57

Saturday, Jun 18, 2022 at 16:57
We recently added one of the new REDARC 300w folding panels to our older REDARC set. After a week at Lorella Springs it performed so far ahead of the older technology panels we're looking at updating a couple of the earlier models when home

Rob
Rob Ackland

AnswerID: 640916

Sponsored Links