bad reception on UHF

Submitted: Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:49
ThreadID: 14393 Views:2007 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just fitted a new electraphone ariel ($180) to my electraphone UHF, but the reception is very poor, my uniden hand held gets better coverage! Would it be because of the male socket that had to be attached to the end of the coaxial cable, the bloke from the ARB shop said to connect it all together and run a little bit of solder down the shaft, l did that but l am thinking that it was not a succesful attempt, or could there be another reason?
thanks in advance......Stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:54

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 16:54
G'day Stuart,

If you've got a multi meter, unscrew the 2 coax connections at either end and check the resistence of the centre cable, touching the probe to the outer part of the post. If there is a poor (ie: "dry") solder joint, it should show as an open circuit.

Hope this makes sense.

Catchya
AnswerID: 66546

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:26

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:26
Roachie is right, however if it is a Dipole (and by the sounds of the price it may well be) then it will not show an open circut. (I know this because I spent about 2 hours on mine before I asked the question) LOL Bugger.

Dipoles usually are think aliminium or fibireglass and will quite often have a slight rattle to them if they are shaken.

Apart from that, it sounds like your connection is not good, or not existing either on the soldered center pin or the earth (the outside bit). Don't keep transmitting on it until you solve the problem as you could damage the radio without a correct rated load (antennta or dummy load) on it.
Just take the connection totally apart and try again.
FollowupID: 327324

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:18

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 17:18
Hi Stuart,

While doing as Roachie says, also check that the inner and outer cables are not short circuited. On the plug, touch one multimeter probe to the inner core and the other probe to the outer metal connector. This should show up as open circuit.

I once had a few stray strands of the outer shield touch the inner cable and couldn't figure why my UHF had no range. Another problem can be if you use too much heat when putting in the solder. It can melt the insulation and the inner core touches the outer shield. Very difficult to see, but the multimeter will show it up.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 66550

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 18:59

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 18:59
Had exactly the same thing and after having the radio checked twice we found it to be a faulty cable on the new aerial, dealer changed the cable and works excellent.
Sounds definetly an aerial problem.
AnswerID: 66565

Reply By: Stuart - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:09

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 16:09
Thanks fella's, looks like l will be pulling the dash apart yet again, such is life, still better than paying $75 per hour to have it fitted and learning nothing!
AnswerID: 66680

Sponsored Links