ThreadID: 144043 Views:4112 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Along with a few others...lol.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 14:07

Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 14:07
Yes Axle. I also have noticed.
I hope they either have other things to do, or are disenchanted, rather than being unwell.

I also observe that the general Forum tone has changed. Rather than the 'campfire exchange' it now seems to be a 'help desk' for road conditions or EO Explorer problems....... Pity!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641093

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 15:05

Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 15:05
G/day Allan, Yes i also hope health issues are not the problem, things have changed a tad thats for sure.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 920195

Reply By: Mikee5 - Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 15:09

Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 15:09
I keep looking in the hope that there is a change but there are very few posts of interest. A huge change from the time we gathered at St George with Sir Kev, Roachie and all the others of the day. It is a very different beast now!
AnswerID: 641094

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 16:37

Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 16:37
It's a sign of the times. The few forums I look at these days have gone the same way.

One site I look at for a bit of political insight has a forum attached where the same half a dozen or so people are still arguing about something that happened in 2010.

Just like the Toyota-Nissan and Engel-Waeco wars (among others) that used to rage here.

Not to mention 12v electrics!

Times change and people move on.

AnswerID: 641096

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 19:24

Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 19:24
Funnily enough, off topic discussions are quite often the most active threads on many sites. Staying strictly on topic stifles conversation pretty quickly especially when the same topics get discussed over and over by waves of new users. It gets to the point where a new user asks a question and someone jumps on them pointing to the search function and a list of umpteen already made responses. Case closed, end of thread, new user quite often offended or at a minimum, knows not to ask in the future without searching for themselves. This decreases the forum activity. If campfire discussions were similar I'd be in bed by 8 o'clock.
AnswerID: 641098

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 21:16

Monday, Jul 11, 2022 at 21:16
I think things have changed a lot in the last 20 years, The go-to now is YouTube if you want to know or fix something, some videos are very helpful and lots of guys making a living on YouTube bashing around the bush in a range of vehicles we all have. Also a lot of gear 20 years ago wasn't available so not so handy people would ask for ideas on how to make things or a place that could help them out. These days, almost everything you can think of is available off the shelf, lots of modular gear that can go together for most vehicles. So maybe new owners don't need Forum input like years gone by. The Internet has changed the world and the way we do things. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641104

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:42
Some forums are still very active, the Pajero forum of Australia is still well patronised, but it is very vehicle oriented and doesn't stray very far into camping, trailers, destinations etc.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920200

Reply By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:36

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:36
I agree with a lot of the comments here. I've been a member since 2009 and generally I'm just a watcher. I've posted a few questions here and there and generally have received good advice from people. I haven't necessarily travelled as much as some of you people but I don't consider myself a neophyte. There have been times when I thought I could respond to some question but haven't bothered because it seems the same group of people always respond. Even when I've posted a question I find that there often isn't much response from newer members/people - why I'm not sure but sometimes I think it would be nice to get some different views if possible. Generally I would only post a question after doing some thorough searching of my own - but it seems some of the questions asked recently are from people who have done no prior research at all. Sure the internet has changed things - there is heaps of stuff on other social media but there's still a place for the forum - it's a bit more personal - if things are kept polite.
cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641112

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2022 at 15:51

Thursday, Jul 14, 2022 at 15:51
Axle, another significant absentee is Mick Olsen. His last Blog posting was January 2022, but I have not seen him on the forum for some time. He is not a contributor that I would like to see disappear.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641144

Sponsored Links