GU Patrol flare removal

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 09:46
ThreadID: 14413 Views:6989 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Kangaroo tried to remove rear flare on wagon with its head the other night. Has anyone removed rear flares on door and rear quarter panel? Do i need to remove door trims etc?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: theratt - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 09:57

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 09:57
Snowman , there is a screw on the inside of the door for the top and one clip pops out from memory and then slide the flare off, and the rear you have lots of screws around the wheel arch may have to remove wheel one or two clips pull off and then its the same slide the whole flare around , be carfull not to break the flare where all the clips are held as there pi** weak
and for your info a whole set from nissan 1200$ for one side!
AnswerID: 66639

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 17:26
Kamakazi Skippy did the same to mu GU too. If the clip retainer barackets on the flares have broken off you can stick them back together successfully. I did a bodgie plastic 'weld' with a soldering iron to tack them together but more importantly used the tip to scallop and rough up the surrounding plastic. Then I used some 'liquid nails' to glue and fill. This has held together for 80,000k's no problems.

Your friendly neighbourhood Nissan dealer should be able to supply the little clips that slot into the flare and press into the bodywork as well. They sheared off on mine. Take carefull note of what you need as they're different types and male and female too.

You can bugger me with a boat hook before I'll fork out two and a half grand for a new set of flares.
AnswerID: 66692

Reply By: Michael - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:37

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:37
The small moulded slots that are equally spaced inside the plastic flare as mentioned above , are very thin and can be broken off really easily. If you lose a few in the experience, the flare then has small gaps betweeen the guard and flare.These little enclosures are moulded very thin so that the area does not sink, showing a depression on the surface of the flair. It is done for appearance only, so the slotted enclosures are inherently weak. Yes it would be much better to see a little sunken area on the flair and have them much stronger, more owners would remove them more often to clean the mud that builds up behind them. On my last GU, the drivers front one was full up to the top of the radius of the flair, a kilo of dust turned to mud, its a problem overcome in the next upgrade, If you have seen the pics,,,,,yes,,, the same as the 100 series guards,YUK!!!
AnswerID: 66790

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:39

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:39
Hey Snowman, lend your car to my wife to take shopping, she can take both sides of at once in an underground car park. Fitting them back is a another story!!!!
FollowupID: 327543

Follow Up By: snowman - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 19:58
Well it is the my wife's car and i'm fixing both sides! I had a 2000 st ute and i new i had problems with the front flares when i saw grass sprouting out!
FollowupID: 327604

Sponsored Links