Sharing private Treks

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 23, 2022 at 14:10
ThreadID: 144162 Views:3313 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I see there has been a thread on this in the past (2020) but it is now archived and it appears i cannot add to it, hence a new one.
Is there now any way to share a private trek with others? This really is a serious failing IMO. I should be able to share a Trek I have created with other devices on my own EOT account and with other EOT users, even when we have no internet. Consider these situations, which I am running into regularly:
1. My wife (navigator) and I have 4 or 5 apple devices in our cabin at least 2 of which are running EOT at all times. If I update a trek or create a new trek on an evening, I cannot "air drop" it to another device even if we share the same EOT account, unless we have internet, and that is often not available. It is pointless saying this should all be done when we are online.
2. Similarly, we are travelling with others who have their own EOT account and I cannot share a Trek with them. In fact, I cannot share with them even if I do have internet.
3. We also use a couple of other navigation programs and all of these exchange data using GPX, but I cannot see anyway to export a Trek as a GPX. I can certainly do this in (say) PocketEarth.
Can we please get at least items 1 and 2 above addressed as a matter of priority?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Jul 23, 2022 at 18:00

Saturday, Jul 23, 2022 at 18:00
Bandicoot

Bottom left of this page

Help Desk

Bottom tab… Suggest a new feature improvement.

Edit..Probably should of mentioned, you can download a trek to share from the webpage in GPX, CSV, Ozi & Hema Navigator

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641229

Reply By: Bandicoot - Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 15:45

Sunday, Jul 31, 2022 at 15:45
An update on my post…

After some helpful discussions with EO, I have learned the following:

If a user is online, then it is possible to export a GPX (or some other format options) of a personal Trek (or Personal Place) as follows:

• Open the EO site using a browser

• Go into your user account

• Go into Traveller control panel

• Select My Personal Treks (or My Personal Places)

• Select the Personal Trek or Place to be exported

• Scroll down to Map button

• Export (“Download”) the Trek or Place

• Select the export format option (GPX, CSV, OziExplorer, Hema Navigator)

• The Trek will appear as in your Downloads folder (if using Windows browser)

• Note that you cannot do this export via any of the EOT apps themselves only via the EO website using a browser

• Once the Export file is in your Downloads folder, you can then share the file via Airdrop (iOS devices) or any other available means and open the Personal Trek in EOT on a mobile device or open the Trek in any other app that opens or imports GPX (or that type of) file

• It should be noted, however, that

• You can only create an Export file if you have internet

• You can only create it via a browser not any of the EOT apps themselves

• Therefore this system does not address the situation where you are out bush and need to create a Trek in (say) the EOT app on your iOS device and want to then share it (or share a Personal Place) via Airdrop or similar. This scenario is not uncommon when you are out bush a lot and there needs to be a change in plans (hence a new Personal Trek) or more information comes to light and you want to create and share additional Personal Places perhaps as waypoints or points of interest. In such cases you may want to share the new info with other devices on your own EOT account (you may be running EOT on more than one navigation device in the cabin, as we do) or with friends who run EOT on their own devices using their own EOT account, or your own or others devices running other navigation software.

• However the procedure above shows it is possible to share Personal Places or Treks by creating a download file when you have internet which this can then be shared later on even if you do not have internet assuming you can use a sharing system such as Airdrop

AnswerID: 641331

Sponsored Links