Recovery Tracks on Roof Racks

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 18:49
ThreadID: 14425 Views:2714 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day guys,

Having recently experienced the joys of recovering my vehicle from gluggy clay I have been doing some thinking.

I am looking at putting a roof basket on the vehicle soon but I thought I might have a better idea. I will put some heavy duty Rhino cross rails on and then I thought that instead of a basket or mesh floor I would use some ladder style wheel tracks to form the floor where I can then tie on a couple of spare tyres.

These wheel tracks would be like heavy duty ladders welded up from two lengths of RHS with pieces of angle welded across like rungs. I would have 4 of these. I would need to pick the right gauge of steel so they are strong enough without being too heavy.

The theory is that if I get stuck or the terrain is looking dodgy I can take these things off the roof and lay them down in front of each wheel on the vehicle and drive out over them. Each would be 2 metres long and wide enough for the wheel width. A possible improvement is to have them so they bolt together/split apart in the middle so I could have 8 of them at 1 metre long and could use them as a "rolling road". Slowly but surely!

The only other stuff I would want to keep up top would be two tyre carcasses so there is not too much to remove even on a longer trip. These wheel tracks could be invaluable in a recovery where there are no other vehicles around.

My question is has anyone else done this sort of thing?. How useful would these wheel tracks be in a recovery from sand/mud?. Does anyone think I am nuts?????

I do not want to be afraid to tackle reasonably difficult or slushy terrain and this is an idea to help if I get stuck with no assistance readily available.

All comments/suggestions appreciated.

Muddy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 18:58

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 18:58
You can buy them.. you dont need to make them, they dont have a very good name. Thats why nobody has them.

Also spare tires on the roof, fine locally, but in 40 degree heat, last thing you want to do is lift a shagged hot tire on the roof would suck bottom.

Theres times when you have to be afraid to tackle difficult or slushy terrain... big deal, nobody will know that you havent taken the hard track. Even competitors in Tuff Truck comps take the chicken track sometimes.

YMMV
AnswerID: 66704

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 19:22
Get a winch Steven...if you don't want an electric winch then get a Tirfor or equivalent. Buy a couple of star pickets, a dumpy hammer and some chain and you should be able to get yourself out of most situations. Alternatively buy a bullbag to inflate the Prado out of the ooze.
AnswerID: 66707

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 21:05
Yeah, Iv'e seen them as well. Army Landrovers, and like on those around the world jaunts, with all the Landy's, Disco's etc.

Hell, they look cool, have those on ya roof, plus ya swag, that's real chick pulling stuff mate!

Don't know how good they are, especially in mud, sort of like it would become a bit like a see saw when the tyre goes past 1/2 way, then all sorts of stuff would happen.

They still look cool though........... let's see.......... 1.6 mm. Zincanneal Laser Cut & pressed.......powdercoated bright yellow.........wow........look out Honda.........your going to become the Swiss Army Knife of Soft Roaders!

Thanks Muddy

Busy Wolf
AnswerID: 66734

Reply By: mr diamond - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:07
if it dosnt work make sure you are able to sleep on it if you get really stuck.
lol
AnswerID: 66751

Reply By: Mungo Explorer - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:14

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:14
It would probably work in sand, not so sure about deep mud. Dare to be different, one day your invention might be sold with an ARB sticker on it...
AnswerID: 66774

Reply By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 07:50

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 07:50
Muddy,
Used those in the Army. They work OK but allways end up getting bent so would be no good for a roof rack, and to make them strong enough they would be very heavy which means your load capacity on your roof would be significantly reduced. Best thing to use is a bull bag and a winch.

John
AnswerID: 66782

Reply By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:11

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:11
Muddy, I have plans to do something similar. Here is my secret idea. I have rhino bars as well but I was planning to make a roof rack frame and fill the centre with 4 x 300mm wide strips of removeable fibreglass grating. Much lighter than steel, no rust and can be used as you are suggesting for emergency recovery. Load capacity depends on section size but there is a wide variety available. I just need to obtain some to do a load test. Anyone have access to some offcuts?
AnswerID: 66883

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:17
Very interesting.

That is why I posted this idea here. No matter how good you think an idea is, someone will always come up with an interesting imrovement or alternative.

It may or may not actually work or be better! If I can save some cash by not going ahead with a bad idea, or cash in on a good concept then it is time well spent!

Muddy.
FollowupID: 327659

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:48

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 23:48
Thanks for the replies forumites.

I am hearing that this is not something that a lot of people do! Got to consider the weight factor. I am saving for that winch but it is a lot of cash! I can get the tracks welded up very cheaply.

Will put a bit more thought into the recovery kit. Nothing like getting stuck to get you thinking about how to get out of the shighte in future!

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 66890

Sponsored Links