2000 TD Hilux rear clunk.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 21:43
ThreadID: 14436 Views:6664 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can any body give me an idea of what this problem may be.

My 2000Td Hilux d/cab with 110,000K has started to make a dull clunking noise. Does not seem to be metal on metal sound, more of a thud.

*Seems to be coming from underneath the rear half of the car and there is nothing in the tub.

*Usually happens when in 2-3rd gear both accelerating and decelerating.

*Does not happen all the time and only does it several times in 10k trip around town, cant hear it on the highway.

*Went to falls Creek last week and it was the worst it has ever been, going up the winding hills it would give 3-4 clunks every few bends. Seemed worse going up than down the hill.

*Mechanic went for a drive and of course the car did not make a sound. He tightened every bolt he could find but it didnt help. Next plan is for him to drive it to and from work for a couple of days.

*Car is running fine apart from this noise.

Thanks Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: steve - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 22:00
Jeff,
Sounds like it could be the tailshaft centre bearing. They make a deep thud, especialy when on and off the throttle and changing gears if not done smoothly. Climb underneath and grab the tailshaft near the centre and try to force it up and down, should not be more than about 5mm movement either way. Also check the rubber is not cracked or perished.

Good luck

Steve.
AnswerID: 66748

Reply By: tour boy - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 08:32

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 08:32
I'd tend to lean towards a shock problem, pull the rear ones out and do a short drive in a place where you know it normally makes the noise.
AnswerID: 66786

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:12

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:12
My surf just broke the rear left saddle that holds the sway bar to the rear axel again on Sunday (mind you I did a dogy fix with wheel barrow spare parts last time! LOL)
Probally what it is, it sounds frightening, but it's not serious, very easy to reapir too. The first time it happened I couldn't find the fault because the sway bar had actually flattened the saddle and it almost looked like it was supposed to be like that.
The noise will normally happen when you put power down or brake and turn. Sounds like it's what wrong anyway, I know the surf uses the same saddle as the older hilux, the new ones might be the same, pretty common fault apparently, heaps of guys break em on the surf forums.
AnswerID: 66793

Reply By: floyd - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 19:01
Sounds exactly like the problem that I have had in all of my 75 series, and in 1 hilux. It will be one of 2 things. May be warn spring dividers. They are a thin disk that separates the leaves.

It will more likely be a shocker that is warn. I contract work at all of the snow resorts in Australia and nearly all of my last 7 Toyota 4WD vehicles have done it on the mountain roads. It is common amongst friends up here too. After cornering from one side to another this seems to happen on tight bends. It is a dull clunking noise in the rear end. Drives me crazy. My current Hilux with 116,000 has not done it yet however I have upgraded the shockers to OME ones and they have way more travel than the standard ones. I must say that only the standard factory shocks have done this. Aftermarket ones dont clunk from experience.

I went bananas at first trying to solve the problem. I changed bushes on the shocks. Changed bushes on the leaf springs, changed spring leaf dividers and even my anti sway bar bushes and nothing worked. After talking to a few mates up at Buller it seemed that nearly all of their vehicles did it. It is the shocks.
I drove one vehicle for a whole winter with it clunking. Nothing broke, nothing came loose, just drove me a bit mad.

Short term solution Turn radio up
Long term solution Replace shockers with aftermarket ones.
AnswerID: 66849

Follow Up By: JWAT - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 20:36

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 20:36
Thanks Floyd & other replys

It does sound like the shock problem you were having, however I also have OME fitted. I will have them checked anyway, as well as the other things identified. Hope this will fix the noise as I'm heading north for a month in early September.

This was my first post, but use the search tool often.

Thanks again
Jeff.

FollowupID: 327610

Reply By: lowlux - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 18:40

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 18:40
Hi. I had the same prob with my earlier model hilux.I tried many things,even to the point of getting the rear diff rebuilt.I finally realised that it was my rear springs, but it only happens when it's been raining or I'v been through water.It's been doing it for the last 5 years,I put new OME's shockies and springs in it and hasn't stop.I I've been on 5 desert trips making this noise and nothing has ever broken,touch wood that is!
AnswerID: 67346

Sponsored Links