GPS Mapping

Submitted: Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 13:14
ThreadID: 144381 Views:4347 Replies:3 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all after some advice/ options regarding GPS mapping devices. Not wanting to go overboard just something probably suction mounted to windscreen and not overly big. I have had in the past VMS 500 with remote mapping included but it has recently died, still I never regarded it as user friendly. I also have an old Garmin Nuvi that I have Shonky topo maps on via a SD card. I find these maps reasonably accurate. Just looking for something with street mapping as well as reasonable off road mapping. Hema doesn't seem to get much of a rap. My old Garmin does the job but I need to keep moving it from one vehicle to the other. Just looking for something that works.
The windscreen is a travelling picture show

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 14:34

Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 14:34
Apple "just works" ......... iPhone or iPad (with GPS, I think Apple calls it Cellular)

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641392

Follow Up By: Member - Harry C - Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 15:56

Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 15:56
Thanks Jim, my problem is I belong to the dark side using Android.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920527

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 16:09

Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 16:09
ExplorOz's own mapset, EOTopo, has Australia-wide off-line topographic mapping with detail to 1:2000. At this level it's good enough for street navigation too. When on-line you can also use Open Street Maps and a satellite view. More info here.

To use it you need ExplorOz's own navigation app, Traveller. It runs on Windows, iOS and Android. Traveller will give you turn-by-turn instructions for street navigation (and outback if you want it). Seethis link for more info.

The maps and the app will cost you a bit over $100. You're already an EO member which give you some extra functionality . The app comes with lifetime free upgrades. The mapset is upgraded every couple of years and is not free.

I'm an Android and Windows user. I have a high-end 10.5 inch Android tablet and Android phone. Both run Traveller/EOTopo flawlessly. Most, if not all Android tablets and certainly phones, come with GPS.

I agree with Jim's comment above - if you're an Apple person and going for a tablet (iPad), get one with inbuilt GPS. But it's not 100% necessary - plenty of people run a WiFi only Apple system with a Bluetooth GPS mouse and hotspot the iPad to a phone for on-line functions. Clumsy, IMO, but perfectly serviceable.

Regardless of the type/brand, any tablet hanging off a suction mount on a windscreen is going to move around a lot. There are windscreen mounts that also brace on top of the dash to add extra support and to reduce movement. Alternatively just use a windscreen-mounted phone, but you may find the screen a bit small.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641393

Follow Up By: Member - Harry C - Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 16:33

Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 16:33
Thanks Frank probably just looking for something that is just ready to go.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920528

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 20:44

Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 20:44
Frank's suggestion is spot on. It's extremely hard to beat an Android or Apple tablet or phone as a true multi purpose navigation device. For $100 you can have it on everything with the latest maps. I can't believe anyone still buys single purpose navigation units. I regard the in dash GPS unit in my wife's Audi as quite terrible by comparison with my Android phone, and it's quite new.
FollowupID: 920529

Follow Up By: Member - Harry C - Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 21:01

Monday, Aug 08, 2022 at 21:01
Thanks all. I will do some more homework and look into what's been suggested.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920530

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 20:25

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 20:25
As suggested buy a tablet of you choice and add the mapping. So much better and more versatile than the dedicated systems
You can run multiple mapping product and apps like WikiCamps etc plus search the net from the one device
Plus most of these programs will also work on your phone
FollowupID: 920531

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 20:58

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 20:58
I would add that for Android, a Samsung tablet should be your first choice because some other brand Android tablets have a terrible GPS chip, I learned from experience on that. All the Apple ones are good but you basically have to buy one with a SIM card slot to get the in unit GPS functionality.
FollowupID: 920532

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 22:55

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 22:55
"You can run multiple mapping product and apps like WikiCamps etc"

This is an important point. No mapping app is perfect, not even EOT, and it's useful to have more than one. You should be able to run two apps side-by-side in split screen mode.

The main all-in-one 4WD mapping device is HEMA. I've never owned one. They used to be very popular, but all the recent reviews I've read of the latest device and software are very negative. I think the tablet is a more flexible solution.

In terms of attaching one to the screen, Stephan Fischer did a review not that long ago of the Seasucker vacuum mount which you can use with RAM mouting hardware. I have just taken the plunge and bought this system. It is not cheap, but by golly it's effective.
FollowupID: 920533

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:12

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:12
Briste

Don’t believe what you read as hearsay on the Hema, some people will just say anything.

They are the only company that spends mega dollars doing regular field trips, so their maps are the most accurate out on the market today….that’s a fact.

The biggest thing that many did not like, including me was when they went away from the OziExplorer base to their own on the HX1.

Some people had issues with the unit overheating, which was a software issue and a software upgrade fixed that issue.

The new HX2 is different again, a lot thinner and still the same great features that have been available in all the previous units.

Value for money, you can not go past the new HX2, as what other brand on the market has all those map sheets from around Australia, with all the latest up to date maps, more POI with full details and turn by turn navigation.

In the street mode, you can zoom right in, to see individual address numbers on the streets…what other navigation unit will do that?

I have contacted EO a number of times in the past, re very outdated road details. There are still many roads shown on the EO TOPO as dirt, where in fact they have been fully bitumen for over the past 20 years.

Then you mention WikiCamps, well the HX2 has all these places and more, from fuel outlets, hospitals, police stations, caravan parks, free camping,etc, etc all in one easy to use unit.

For those that buy a tablet, you then have to buy a mapping system and then seperate maps, which will cost you more in the long run.

Credit where credit is due, some don’t like the Hema, just because of its name or what they have heard third hand in conversation.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920535

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:29

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:29
You don't have to pay for most mapping programs and the maps you buy are the same Hema maps that are on the device you mentioned. If you want street mapping and navigation with detail then Google Maps or Waze provide that in minute detail including street view of the actual property you are interested in. They also show live traffic data including mobile speed camera location, breakdowns and live slow traffic points. All for free.
FollowupID: 920537

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:26

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:26
Thanks for those clarifications Stephen L, it's helpful to get the counter view. Everything has it's strengths and weaknesses. If I was in the OP's position I'd still be wary. $800 RRP and perhaps close to $700 on discount is a lot of coin to drop for a single-use device with such a collection of negative reviews. I'd want to be able to see one in operation and play with it for an extended period if I was to make that kind of investment.

I agree about HEMA's investment in field research and their maps. I've just bought their 4WD maps for use in Memory Map. But as I said, nothing's perfect, and a tablet gives you options. It also allows you to try out different mapping programs at relatively low cost.
FollowupID: 920539

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:48

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 09:48
The HX2 has a RR of around $749, but here in South Australia you can get them for just over $600
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920540

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Aug 12, 2022 at 15:29

Friday, Aug 12, 2022 at 15:29
I am a big fan of the Hema maps and highly recommend them, I just think you are limiting your options too much using a specific navigation device when you can run the same maps plus everything or anything else you want if you go with a tablet
FollowupID: 920556

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 08:34

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 at 08:34
Hema HX2, ready to rock and roll
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641395

Follow Up By: Member - Harry C - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 07:57

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 07:57
Thanks for all your responses, the Hama HX2 is the type of gear I have been looking at but the reviews have put me off it. Stephen have you had better luck with this model? Have heard that they don't like being exposed to sun/heat of the vehicle dash.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920534

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:17

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:17
Please see me reply above.

Please don’t believe what you read, as many have a beef, and it is not true.

No issues with overheating, and with the HX1, it was only a software issue that fixed the overheating on some units, and not all.

I don’t work for Hema, or get free units, but a very satisfied customer.

One thing though, don’t buy direct from Hema, you will get them well over $100 cheaper from many good retailers.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920536

Follow Up By: Member - Harry C - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:59

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 08:59
Thank you Stephen will definitely look at the Hema unit. I have many of their paper maps and along with West Print find them to be excellent products. Cheers Harry.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920538

Sponsored Links