Detroit soft lockers

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1444 Views:5948 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone again. I have fitted a Lokright to the front diff of my base model 80 series and found it to be great. I am now ready to fit another difflock to the rear diff. The Lokright works well, but is noisy in operation and not something I want in a diff that is working all the time. I'm not interested in an air-locker as I want the locker to work automatically. I have therefore settled on the Detroit soft locker but before I commit I'm interested to hear the opinions of you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: scattman - Monday, Jul 08, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 08, 2002 at 00:00
hi berek.
i have a detroit soft locker in back and air locker in front.
i have a 80s cruiser. In this combination works very well .
AnswerID: 4745

Reply By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Derek
I have Locka's fitted to both front and rear of my base 80 series and they work great although I'm not really too keen on the rears. I still prefer them to Toyota's not so flash LSD though. I didn't want air lockers for the same reason but might eventually put one in rear. Performance wise I have no reason to change rear as yet though and front are the ducks nuts.
AnswerID: 4755

Follow Up By: Derek - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Scattman and Allyn. Thank you for your replies. You've won me. I'll go ahead with my plans.
FollowupID: 2021

Reply By: royce - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Derek.... what are soft lockers..... are they like LSD? I have lockright in the back only of my '88 75 series troopie. I am wrapt in them .... don't need to use 4wd half the time now! cheers Royce
AnswerID: 4966

Reply By: Derek - Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Royce. Firstly, thank you for your reply. A Detroit soft locker is apparently a more refined version of their earlier model difflock and engages and disengages more quietly and gently hence the name 'softlocker'. And no, it is not a LSD and works on a slightly different principle. The Detroit Locker is normally in the 'locked' position and un-locks to allow you to turn corners etc. It should really be known as the Detroit Un-locker. Hope this helps you.
Safe driving, Derek.
AnswerID: 4981

Follow Up By: Kb - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Derek I have a 93 GQ and am interested in fitting what you termed a "soft locker" to the front, the one I was interested in was a lockright from 4WD warehouse in SA. Price was $850 + fitting. How much was the dtroit and and where did you get it?
FollowupID: 2391

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Kb. I bought my Lockrite about 2 years ago from an off road company in Adelaide for $600+freight and installed it myself. It takes a few hours to do and you would need some mechanical background and tools to do it. Having said that, it's not too difficult a job. I bought the Lockrite because it was far cheaper than the Detroit. The Lockrite inserts into your existing carrier housing whilst the Detroit replaces it totally. The Detroit looks stronger but is also much more expensive. I have had no trouble with Lockrite and wouldn't be without it. When it is engaged however, it does clunk and bang. I spent the extra money and went for the Detroit when I decided to fit a locker to the rear diff because I was advised that they were quieter and smoother. This was of importance to me as the rear diff is working everywhere I go, whilst the front diff only works when I select 4wd. Now that it's fitted, I wonder if I should have fitted an air locker. It has changed the handling of the car and I'm not sure I like. If you decide to fit only one locker, put it in the front diff and get the Lockrite. If you have any more questions , post them here and I'll help you out. Copulater, Derek.
AnswerID: 5538

Follow Up By: Awephius - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
Last year I trialed the detroit gearless locker in the rear of a '93 suzuki vitara. Yeah yeah, its a shopping trolley - give it clearance and serious wheel travel and tires, and it's not too bad. With the locker in the rear it was UNBELIEVABLE off road. On road it changed my vehicle more than I expected.

In the parking lot, it shuddered and banged. On corners the inside rear where spun. On wet roads...the rear end broke loose like grandpa after a pint of guinness.

That asside, I found if I changed my driving style to that I was taught; brake before the corner, and the drive upto and around it....everything was smooth and sweet. Sometimes when you laxed into the old ways of braking into a corner, you found yourself bunnyhopping.

I was relieved to read your posting as I too wonder if an Air locker gives the best of both worlds; open on the road and locked in the dirt.

Maybe the the trolley was too light for an auto locker?
Maybe ther was a fault with the design of the gearless locker (oh yeah, it broke :) .

I'm open again, but severely missing the capability of a diff locker.
FollowupID: 2840

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
Awephius. Your description of how your Suzi now handles on the road is very similar to what happens to my Cruiser. If a stranger was to drive my car they would think they'd snapped an axle. You're also right, in that by changing your driving style you can overcome a lot of the strange things that happen. The beauty of these things over the airlocker, is that when you're climbing a difficult hill you don't have to worry about pushing buttons - it all happens automatically. I'm still pretty happy with how the thing performs in general, but if I had my time over again, I would probably fit the air locker. Thanks for your feed back.
AnswerID: 6437

Sponsored Links