Payload versus sag

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 07, 2004 at 21:05
ThreadID: 14462 Views:1548 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This is one that I'm sure Truckster can help with...

'96 GQ LWB Patrol on 10R-15's - If the standard height to the centre of roof is 1810mm, is this based on the 'standard' size tyre of 10R-15. If so then I'm pretty close.
and..
How much sag in the rear end for how much payload?

The rear drops with weight but then so it should. the question is how much sag is too much as I want to know if the springs need replacing.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for a new undercart but any good technical advice for the Patrol specs would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:58

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:58
I don't have any spec straight out of the book, but look at the vehicle side on when its sitting on a flat surface.

Now unladen it will sit pretty level, get a couple of 20lt drums of water or 4 if you can, and now check the level, if it shows much of a rearward slope, I reckon you are due for new springs.

Keep adding a bit of weight at a time (or alll your camping gear) and you will soon see the rear drop.
AnswerID: 66913

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:56

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:56
Never really measured it, but I think you 'know' when your shocks and springs are fubar...

Load up the car, and then measure how much travel is left. Then think about how much weight is in there V how much travel in shocks is left V how much it went down when you loaded it.

EG if its 1000mm Unloaded, goes down to 350mm when loaded, its not lookin good, as you have used (650mm) more than 1/2 your travel before you have moved. First good bump its lookin like it would bottom out pretty quick.

If it bounces along like a trampoline, or bottoming out when loaded, they are stuffed.

Polyairs are a cheapy quick fix for the fully loaded car..

If you were lookin for an excuse to replace them, do it. Go a lift while ya at it...
AnswerID: 66929

Sponsored Links