Powering fridge in 4wd with no aux <span class="highlight">battery</span>

Submitted: Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 17:46
ThreadID: 144661 Views:5128 Replies:10 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
My stepson wants to run one or maybe two three way fridges on 12 v while driving, then when stopped he will run them on gas. He does not have an auxiliary battery or dcdc charger.
I am somewhat concerned!!
I do have a Redarc SB12 isolator that he could use which should?? prevent draining the battery if/when he stops and forgets to disconnect fridge/s.
He would need 11AWG wire for one fridge and 8AWG for two assuming both pulling 10 amps.
Can an alternator on a 2004 Patrol handle a load of 10 or 20 amps to run fridges?
What can cause problems here or is this actually feasible?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 18:07

Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 18:07
Cheapest, easiest way is to power the fridges directly from the crank battery via a low voltage cut-out.
Set the LVC at (say) 12.2V which will leave plenty of capacity to start the engine.
Check Ebay for various (adjustable voltage) versions from $10 upwards.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641535

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 19:14

Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 19:14
2 x three way fridges when stopped (no engine running) could pull 25-40 amps per hour. Forget to disconnect them and if battery isn't in tip top condition he could find himself in strife. He will also need 6 B&S wiring to connect the fridges in the rear of his car as well as a piggy backed anderson plug. 10amps for a 3 way fridge is unlikely...will be considerably higher..possibly double or more. A lot depends on the size and make of the fridge..Being a 2004 patrol he probably doesn't need a dc/dc.. Why doesn't he just get a 12 volt aux. battery system set up properly instead of what he wants to do? Maybe if its a one off event he would be right. Are the fridges in the car? If not(and are in a van/trailer he should probably go to 4 B&S wiring to allow for voltage drop. I think you will find that any seasoned traveller would not use a system as he proposes.
AnswerID: 641536

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 20:39

Monday, Aug 29, 2022 at 20:39
Bear in mind that once running on gas, these fridges pump out enough carbon monoxide to kill quite quickly.
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the danger. It is real.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641537

Reply By: Peter J4 - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 07:25

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 07:25
Most 3 way fridges are meant for permanent installation by a licenced installer and the install has to be signed off by a licenced installer. This ensures adequate ventilation, correct airflow over the workings of the fridge and isolation of the combustion side of the fridge from the cabin. Running a gas fridge in an enclosed vehicle is asking for trouble and will kill due to fume buildup if it isn't installed correctly.
The bin type 3 way fridges designed to sat on the ground outside a tent have also killed people when used inside a zipped up tent.
3 way fridges do not as a rule work very well on 12v, it is best used for short periods to hopefully maintain the temperatures achieved by the fridge on gas. They rarely do so due to poor installation, poor insulation and a lack of 12v as current draws are large and constant both of which rise in high ambient temperatures.
AnswerID: 641538

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 07:54

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 07:54
“3 way fridges do not as a rule work very well on 12v,”

That generally only applies when insufficient wiring is involved. That myth was propagated in the 1990s with the Electrolux fridges of the day. Those of us who upgraded the cabling in the vans and tugs proved that furphy to be wrong.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 920768

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:44

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:44
With right size wiring they can work fine..BUT ..they are just too power hungry to run off 12 volts for even short amount of time . Pulling 20 amps could see an AGM of 100a/h flat in 4 hours.
FollowupID: 920769

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:53

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:53
From the charts I have seen, an absorption fridge will draw something between 15 to 20 amps per hour when run on 12 volts. This amount of current draw is likely to see a cranking battery below the voltage/amperage required to start a large Diesel engine (3.0+ Ltrs.) within a couple of hours.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920770

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:56

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:56
Your right McLaren3030...I forgot that he want using an AGM. 2 hours would be risky ..he may only have a smallish start battery as well.
FollowupID: 920771

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 09:31

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 09:31
Snoopy, I will address your questions, which were.....

1. I do have a Redarc SB12 isolator that he could use which should?? prevent draining the battery if/when he stops and forgets to disconnect fridge/s.

2. He would need 11AWG wire for one fridge and 8AWG for two assuming both pulling 10 amps.

3. Can an alternator on a 2004 Patrol handle a load of 10 or 20 amps to run fridges?

So Snoopy, my response is.....

1. Yes, a Redarc SB12 isolator should be OK to prevent draining your battery. It will connect the fridges at 13.2v as the alternator begins to charge and disconnect them as the voltage falls below 12.7v. There is a 5 second delay on connecting which is good as the alternative of a ignition-operated relay allows the fridge load to be applied during cranking.

2. Cable sizing may be OK but depends on cable length and fridge current which you have not specified.

3. Possibly, but I do not know the specs of a 2004 Patrol alternator. Someone else may? However, I believe that your two fridges together will draw more than you estimate, possibly as much as 30-35A.

In general, the arrangement you describe should work OK and certainly protects the cranking battery from being depleted by the fridges which is an absolute necessity. To operate the fridges without an auto-disconnect device would be a problem waiting to happen!

You would be wise to consider the advice given by responders above re the statutory requirements and hazards of gas appliances within a vehicle. It is a real danger that has cost lives.

EDIT: I have edited my answer re the isolator operating voltages. Heavens only knows how I expressed it so wrong before!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920772

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 12:35

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 12:35
Hi Snoopy
Long time since I've used a three-way and they may have improved their 12V efficiency since so my experience may be outdated.

Suffice to say that 30+ years ago my 40l Finch (wired direct from battery to dash rocker switch, to rear plug) barely maintained the original temp during long drives (3 hrs+). Didn't have meters and don't know what the alternator output was (enthusiasm >> knowledge and experience) but on 3 hr+ drives on 12V the fridge was marginally warmer inside when it arrived than when it was loaded into the Patrol, BUT still cold enough. I replaced the cigarette plug on the fridge with a "better" plug but on reflection I'm not confident that the plug I was sold at the time was any more efficient.

Whatever your stepson does it's wise to get the fridge and contents as cold as possible before heading off. I always ran the (mostly) packed fridge on 240V the night before so that it was well chilled.

AnswerID: 641546

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:51

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:51
On recent Gibb River trip, we had problems with the 12v system in our caravan, and as a consequence, had a very reluctant 3-way fridge.
On speaking with an experienced fridgie in Kununurra, he mentioned that these fridges lose 1°C for each hour they are running on 12v. This would agree with Bazooka’s observations.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920776

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 18:07

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 18:07
Interesting Bob. Ime 3-ways were excellent on 240V, too efficient on gas (had to be dialled back to stop things freezing - don't know how or why), and marginal at best on 12V. Great for long stays.
FollowupID: 920779

Reply By: snoopy1 - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:04

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:04
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.
His fridges use 10amps and 12.5amps. Total 22.5a. Distance from battery to fridges is 5 metres so I have calculated distance as 6m.
I have used numerous online calculators for cable size and the consensus seems to be that 8 b&s (7.7mm sq) over 5m will see 4.1%voltage drop.
I will be strongly urging him to use 6 b&s (13mm sq) cable.
Power consumption figures for both fridges are from the labels on each fridge. I don’t see that an old absorption fridge would increase power needs over time?
Definitely going to use the isolator to protect the start battery.
He can certainly use 240v to get them cold before departing.
If he WAS to run these fridges on gas in the vehicle & die, his mother would kill him as well. I would also join in!!
Having said that, this is a bloke who has picked up a dead snake off the road and had it for dinner????.
AnswerID: 641547

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:17

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:17
Looks good to me Snoopy.
I would definitely use 6 B&S for each fridge from the isolator.... A 3-way fridge needs all the help it can get!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920775

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:52

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:52
" Distance from battery to fridges is 5 metres so I have calculated distance as 6m. "
From a voltage drop perspective, the cable distance is 11m.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 920777

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:55

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2022 at 17:55
Peter, I think that Snoopy took the return circuit into consideration in his calculation.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920778

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 13:51

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 13:51
From Snoopy's post: "I have used numerous online calculators for cable size and the consensus seems to be that 8 b&s (7.7mm sq) over 5m will see 4.1%voltage drop."

So I don't think he took the return circuit into consideration. If so, the voltage drop is going to be more like 10% using 8B&S over 11m.
FollowupID: 920785

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 15:49

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 15:49
Kier & Marg and Peter,

You are quite right about the volt drop.
Somehow I got the impression that Snoopy would be using separate runs from the crank battery to each fridge. On re-reading, it is clear from his totalling to "22.5 Amps" that I made a wrong assumption. He has not allowed for the return circuit.
My most humble apologies to you both.

My recommendation to use 6 B&S to EACH fridge @ 12A would see about 0.32 volt-drop which would be reasonable for a 3-way fridge as they need all the juice they can get. The thing about 3-way fridges is that they rely on a resistive element for energy. If the voltage drops, so proportionaly does the current and as the watts of power produced is a function of the square of the current (W=I*I/R) the loss in energy is also squared. So as an example, a loss of say 0.5 volt (4%) causes a loss in energy of 16% which is very significant in the fridge's performance. Scrimping on cable size is an exercise in futility.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920788

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 17:13

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 17:13
Hi Allan,
Great advice and I'd do the same as you and go for 6B&S for the best result. We run 6B&S via Anderson plugs directly to the fridge (via a Fridgeswitch) and can quite comfortably carry ice cream in the freezer whilst on DC on a long drive; the grandkids love us for it.

Just a minor pedantic correction on the power formulae:

It's W=I*I x R, or even easier, W=V*V/R

Cheers, Keir
FollowupID: 920789

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 17:21

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 17:21
I use this....
VOTLAGE DROP =
[cable length (in metres) X current (in amps) X 0.0164] divided by cable cross-section in mm.sq.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 920790

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 18:22

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 18:22
Yes, of course it is Keir. Thanks
I wish I could select superscript on this thing.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920791

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 11:57

Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 11:57
Hi Allan,
Yes, superscript would really help. On some platforms, you can use Alt+numbers for alternate keyboard characters, but not this one it seems.

Hi Peter n Margaret.
I like your formula for the voltage drop which includes the wiring cross-section and cable length. Presumably the cable length is the cable run x 2????

Cheers, Keir
FollowupID: 920797

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 12:17

Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 12:17
"Presumably the cable length is the cable run x 2????"
Correct.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 920798

Reply By: StormCamper - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 02:02

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 02:02
Personally I would not use gas fridges on rough terrain like corrugations as I think you will find these simply are not made for that. If you do deep research you will find quite alot of stories of the chest fridges having issues and requiring too much babysitting which just inst worth it in life.

From the reviews of some, you can clearly see quality control issues with the heating elements dieing way to early, complelety unacceptable and a massive turn off. So stock up on some 12v and 240v elements and learn how to basic service.

When gas fridges are great:

Camping in a area where solar is useless, or no setup room due to over crowded, temps rarely get above 35C, not big drinker at all.

When they just Fail:

Temps near 40C, drink alot of water and want chilled water and drinks in general. Even with a second fridge to store the second cache of drinks, the thing will most likely never get the drinks below just cool on hot days.

Compressor fridges are vastly more powerful, and yet my Engel 40l on a 38C day, took 7 hours to chill 4liters of warm water (stored in Jerry in sun). Even National luna with it's stupid powerful compressor and awesome cooling effiency struggles in real aus heat.

AnswerID: 641553

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 08:13

Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 08:13
In my experience, absorption fridges struggle more with high humidity along with high ambient temperatures. High temperatures alone are one thing, but it is the high humidity that really puts a strain on the condensing capability.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920792

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 08:47

Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 08:47
You are quite right Macca.
The 'condenser' on the fridge must transfer heat to the atmosphere but heat transfer decreases as relative humidity increases due to lower air thermal conductivity. The same applies to compressor fridges.
Here is one article that deals with that.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920794

Reply By: qldcamper - Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 13:47

Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 13:47
To approach your alternator question, patrols of that era have a habit of blowing one positive diode in the rectifier, many struggle along for years in that condition with the only noticable sign of the volt meter reading about 3/4 of a volt low so a bit above 13 instead of 14 but under standard load manage until a load like a fridge is added, sometimes a slight glow in the warning light can be noticed at night.
If the alternator has been replaced with an internal fan type it shouldnt be a problem but those with an external fan Hitachi almost always needed a rectifier when being rebuilt after dying of wear.
The cooling air for the alternator is sucked in from the rear and that is way too close to the turbo.
AnswerID: 641560

Reply By: snoopy1 - Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 14:12

Thursday, Sep 01, 2022 at 14:12
Hi all,
The calculators I used had either only one run of cable that needed to be entered ( calculator then calculated on twice that amount) or both runs of cable to be entered.
I double checked each calculator to make sure I used correct distance.
I have connected my old Chescold RC1180 3 wag fridge to a battery today and it uses 8.9 amps.
Cheers
AnswerID: 641562

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Sep 22, 2022 at 15:55

Thursday, Sep 22, 2022 at 15:55
very easy to do, buy an ABR low voltage cutout and put it on the fridge.
AnswerID: 641707

Sponsored Links