UHF antenna visual obstuction?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:03
ThreadID: 14491 Views:2964 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have recently had a couple second hand reports that people are getting booked for having an antenna on front bullbar while round cities.

Also that an antenna of 30cm diam is legal.

So what is correct?

Anyone know what the rules are in Victoria

Thanks
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:08

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:08
Are you sure this equates to visual impairment, or pedestrian safety?

Very interesting.......

Can you clarify the 300 mm. thing for us please?

Cheers

Wolfie

AnswerID: 66990

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:14

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:14
Sorry 30mm
Joe
FollowupID: 327749

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:10

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:10
AFAIK there is a restriction of 30mm diameter on aerials or other bits 'n' pieces on your bullbar. UHF's are okay ; but then again if they want to be pedantic, they can ping you for any "obstruction" to your view. I've never heard of anyone being booked or defected etc for having a UHF or mobile phone antenna on their bar. Probably be best to keep them on passenger's side anyway.
HF antennas are better off at the back out of harms way. I used to have mine on the b/bar and although I had no dramas, I was glad when i got it out of the way.
Cya
AnswerID: 66992

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:37

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:37
Hi Roachie,
Can you please advise, what is AFAIK?
Thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 327758

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:59

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:59
As far as I know, it means AFAIK.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 327763

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 21:58

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 21:58
Joe,
Sorry mate.....as John has suggested it means "as far as I know".....there is a whole list of abbreviations shown if you click on the tab at the end of any post....
Cheers mate
FollowupID: 327788

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:12

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:12
300mm would be a rather large aerial.

I am almost sure that HF aerials with the tuning base are frowned upon on the front.
AnswerID: 66994

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:22

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:22
Do the smart thing remove them when you dont need them, it isnt hard to have a screw mount base, and just undo the thing..
AnswerID: 66997

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:30

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:30
I have just returned from making a phone call, and yes in Lara near Geelong a 4wd driver was booked, and the conscientious policeman stated to the driver, "that if you know the driver of onther 4wd reg*** *** you might like to warn him"
Joe
AnswerID: 67003

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:02

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:02
Thanks Joe, I'm next door to Lara so I'd better watch it.
FollowupID: 327771

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:14

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:14
Hi Mad Dog,
Yes it seems like the local cop or one who works that area, has made a point of it, keeping note of other units who he can catch up with.
It would be good to know if 30mm is allowed, but if a guy like this wants to be difficult, then knowing you are within law may still be useless.
Joe
FollowupID: 327773

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 19:04

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 19:04
It won't be long before police people like that are found beaten on the side of the road...
Pathetic waste of time and resources. What a load of crap. Willie, where are you when we need you mate!! LOL
AnswerID: 67012

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:13

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:13
do us all a favour,,,and go find the Vehicle

Regulationd that pertain to your state,,,,and give it a good read.
we recently had a few coppers over here fining us for not having a tarp on our loads(semi tipper, carrying sand).$400 a pop.
he cited the Vehicle Regulations....i cited the Load Restraint Guide issued by Main Roads Dep. he still fined us,,,,but went and checked the regulations further, then spoke toi main roads.
rang me later and sais regulationd refered to load restraint guide and pulled the fines,,,took a week,,,,but it was worth it.
so check for yourself first,,,,,there may be something in the regulations that the copper doesnt know.

rick.
AnswerID: 67028

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:21

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:21
Will do just that in due course Rick, but raised it here first for convience, to see if the knowledge about the regulation was on hand within the forum.
Joe
FollowupID: 327774

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:26

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:26
Coming back from the West Coast of SA at Easter, i was pulled over into a large RBT lane entering Port Augusta.

I was driving, Rhiannan was in the front passenger seat next to me, and Mark & Tracy were in the rear. Oh, we were in the REALLY REALLY high Delica by the way.

Stop, lower window, and there was this lovely female copper, all of 5 foot nothing, just georgeous, and she had.............handcuffs!

I blew into the monitor, all was good, and she said she was just going to check my rego. Well, the sticker is very very high, and she had to keep jumping up to look at it, and I was getting all excited!!! No need for details here, just run with me okay....

She comes back to my window and informs me that it will run out at midnight..( new sticker is in glovebox). I say to her.."Your joking!! There must be a mistake!! Can you check again?" Hoping for the full windscreen peep show again......

Next minute.......WHACK!! on the back of my head!! Tracy gave me a whack, and the copper started laughing!

I was not popular for the rest of the day......

Cheers

Registered Wolf
AnswerID: 67029

Follow Up By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:38

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:38
Maybe I should take Prado back to standard,give it to my wife and go with Rick's suggestion and buy your Delica, then drive around Porta Augusta, I might get lucky too.
Joe
FollowupID: 327776

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:47

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:47
wolfie after reading that piece about the young police officer we may be related ???????
both enjoy entertaining views !!!!!!!!!

steve
FollowupID: 327778

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 17:27

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 17:27
Hi guys

I think this is covered under VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information sheet number 29 "Drivers field of view"

its on the vicroads website under vehicles but I will have to let you search for it because the link is too long to post. (thats my excuse anyway)

A

AnswerID: 67135

Follow Up By: Joe - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:42

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:42
Thanks Andrew,

I just checked it out....

Vehicle Standards Information No. 29

Drivers Field of View Requirements

The driver of a vehicle must have a full and uninterrupted view of the road and any traffic ahead and to each side of the vehicle and, by use of rear vision mirrors a clear reflected view of any following or overtaking vehicle.

The Standards For Registration require a vehicle not to be constructed nor to have anything fitted to it in such a manner which would prevent the driver from having an adequate view of the traffic to each side of the vehicle and in all directions ahead of the vehicle.

In cases where any equipment or accessory is mounted on a vehicle care should be taken not to obscure the drivers field of view. The area referred to as the drivers field of view is based on the primary vision area requirements contained in Australian Design Rule No. 8 and illustrated in figure 1.

This information sheet refers to two of the more common pieces of equipment which can affect the drivers field of view. However, the following guidelines should be used to help ensure that the drivers field of view is not adversely affected whenever any equipment or accessories, including bullbars and driving lights, are fitted to a motor vehicle. In addition the fitting of the accessories or equipment must be secure and not have any sharp edges or protrusions which would be likely to increase the risk of injury to any other road users such as pedestrians or cyclists.

AERIALS

Aerials other than normal radio aerials are often fitted on a vehicle for the purposes of two way communication. In many cases these aerials are mounted on the front bumper or bull bar or other part of the front of the vehicle.

If an aerial more than 30 mm in diameter is mounted on the front of the vehicle forward of the A pillar the following guidelines apply:

The aerial should be mounted as close as practicable to the left side of the vehicle.
The aerial and mounting should be free of any sharp edges or protrusions which could or be likely to cause injury to any person.
The surface of the aerial or any fittings more than 30 mm in diameter should be non reflective, matt black is preferred.
No part of the aerial which is more than 30 mm in diameter should encroach into the driver's field of view as illustrated in fig. 1.
The aerial or mounting should not obscure or otherwise adversely affect the performance or visibility of headlamps, parking lamps, turn signal lamps or any other mandatory lamp or reflector.

If these requirements cannot be met then the aerial should either be mounted on the roof or alternatively on the rear of the vehicle particularly if the vehicle has a boot or sloping rear area providing adequate clearance for the aerial to operate efficiently.

Well if the cop around LARA tries to book you too, can quote vic roads VSI 29

Regards
Joe

FollowupID: 327908

Sponsored Links