Ford Territory offroad - anyone driven one

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:25
ThreadID: 14496 Views:11054 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I drove one on the road and on a bit of gravel - went well. Also seen those articles in 4x4 monthly etc but sure the ground clearance is not that great - can be fixed with a bit of a lift (not too much if you want the handling). Wondering how they would go on the OTL at Cape York - only can really remember possibly a few spots where the front wheels may lift - if this happens with the Territory will the computer drive system keep it going or will it stop ? Wondering if you could put a air locker in them. Has anyone put one thru its places in some difficult terrain where the wheels have been lifted - interested to hear the result. They are very comfortable and handle real well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 21:01

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 21:01
Hi Jeff,
They do stack up as an good package, but I must admit that over a large number of new cars purchased, I have found local units have more problems and quality issues.

So I'm sticking with fully imported Japenese products for now. Ive given local product repeatedly a fair go,currently have XR6, EL GT Falcon, EL wagon,(all lots problems)Prado and Mazda.
Toyota, Mazda Nissan products, just are less problems repeatedly.

We are about to trade Mazda and I'm resisting looking at Territory

Regards
Joe

AnswerID: 67038

Follow Up By: mr diamond - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:14

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:14
go on joe look at the ford.
you know you want to.
dont you lol
FollowupID: 327793

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:01

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:01
Joe, I'm a bit of a Ford fan, particularly the old fords such as XW & XY's, when Ford's ruled. Commodores are ruling Bathurst at present, though Fords have over the last fews years won the outright championship. Believe the fords as a family car are much better over the last few years you can tell that from what many mechanics say - more Holdens having problems that require towing especially. Anyway I have been considering the Territory as a family vehicle. From purchasing a 4WD and going to Cape York and the Kimberley, I have found that to get to most places I could have got my old XA Falcon there and back, may have not done the OTL though. Anyway waiting for Bathurst - this must be the year ( I said that last year and year before also).
FollowupID: 327890

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 07:48

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 07:48
Gidday Jeff, I, like am a fan of the Blue Oval. I volunteer at a popular race track and I thought I would let you know (if you already didn't) that those Commodores in the V8 Supercar series are not real Holdens, they run a variant of the old proven Ford 9" diff, the run a variant of the Ford rear suspension, they run a very close variant of the Ford Double Wishbone front end and lastly, but not leastly they run a variant of the Ford 18 degree V8 engine.

Please, oh please don't believe all the hype on the TV about V8 Supercars being normal cars, coz they aren't. Plus I have given you some very accurate info to shoot all those Holden fans down that you may know.
FollowupID: 327951

Follow Up By: Joe - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:35

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:35
HI Guys,
I have never really considered myself a fan of any make, just bought what I liked, and Ford's have featured.

In addtion to current XR6, ELGT, EL wagon, I have a non modified 1952 Ford Customline which is the best example I have seen in 20 years of car shows.
Black body, red leather, woodgrain styled dashboard, white wall tyres, very striking unit with all that chrome!

Also just recently sold my Ford Twin Spinner ute... along with a few other classics...I think I'm starting to slowly recovering from this petrol head disease!
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 327959

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 08:37

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 08:37
Jeff,
The Territory was never designed to do the hard core stuff, more of a dirt road / snow runner type vehicle. It doesn't even have proper recovery points if you do get stuck! I'm not knocking it, I think it is a great vehicle for what it was designed for, just hate seeing others knock it because it is not a "proper 4wd", they are right it isn't and was never intended to be. Will never beat Patrol, Prado etc off road. If you want to get away from dirt roads into the rough stuff, look elsewhere. If you have to modify to get where you want then you should not purchase one, will only be dissapointed and return to this forum bagging it, which I don't think is fair. Like the other manufacturers, their advertising is poor, making it seem as if it will do more than it can.
Having said that, lots of 2wd vehicles have made it to the cape and back in the past so with time and patience there is no reason why Territory wouldn't also
Just my opinion
Rolande
AnswerID: 67075

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:19

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:19
Rolande, no not really considering it for hard stuff, but was just wondering what the limits of the vehicle are ? How good is the computer drive system it has - if you lift a wheel what happens. I have been in plenty of 4WD's that if you lift a front wheel and the rear opposite slips you are stuck - what would happen in a similiar situation in the Territory.

PS. Having been there I would not take it to Cape York or any new car I bought - I would hire a Britz camper or so and destroy it - it would be cheaper in the long run (experience). Well after 2 trips one to the Cape and the other the Kimberley I thought my vehicle went well but I had a few after market things fail - crack in long range tank, three shocks blew, crack in bullbar bracket, few more rattles in car, 2 cracks in wind screen, leaking rear axle seal, tyres look like they have travelled. Add the Servicing and the state that your vehicle returns in and all that added milegae then the hiring of a Blitz camper looks pretty good and you can fly to basically the start of the dirt (save a heap of time on the bitumen). But I must admit the feeling of doing it in your own is pretty damn good.
FollowupID: 327900

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 00:49

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 00:49
Jeff,
From what I have read, short of having diff locks front and back, most vehicles will be in a state of bother if lifting oposing wheels off the ground. The Territory uses basically the same mechanical drive line as the Adventra, (64/36 Rear/Front split), the difference is in the electronics, both vehicles suffer from lack of wheel travel at the extremes, against say a Patrol, (Maverick). As for hiring a Britz, good idea but then there is something about preparing and taking your own vehicle to these places that any hire car cannot compare with, a bit like travelling on a tour bus and boasting about the places you have seen. With the number of Territories being sold it will be interesting to see what the aftermarket come up with, waiting for the first "Hard-core Territory" story in a 4X4 mag. Wishfull thinking??????????
Rolande
FollowupID: 327999

Sponsored Links