long handled shovel

Submitted: Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 17:59
ThreadID: 14519 Views:8300 Replies:16 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
How many people carry a long handled shovel when 4WDing . Had to help another blonk , sorry i mean bloke who was stuck on the beach . Situation = Following me off the beach up a deeply rutted access track that had a shallow ascent . He was driving a 4WD with a low ground clearance , had no recovery gear . He had no idea what to do . But its amazing what a long handled shovel can do . I dug some sand from behind his tyres(had to do this a couple of times) and out from underneath and told him to drive backwards following his tracks until he got back to hard ground . when he got back onto the harder beach sand i had a look to see which would be the best approach . Straight up the guts at about 40 kms/hr should give enough momentum to reach the rubber matting safely . After he made it to the gravel road he shook my hand and said thankyou . I said i hope i dont see you on the beach again .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:09

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:09
Hi Glenno

While a long handled shovel is great, its difficult to store in my (and most) vehicles. I always carry a folding shovel and while a long handled one would be much easier to use, the folding one has always got me out of the poo.

I suppose the decision comes down to how many times you need to use a shovel. No argument at all that a long handle is better, but have never been in a situation where the folding one hasn't been able to get me out, abeit with a lot more effort.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 67143

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:18

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:18
I meant a shovel in general terms , not strictly a long handled one .
FollowupID: 327897

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:19

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:19
Hey Cap'n - I have a roof rack similar to yours - I have mounted a couple of rhino rack shovel holders on one side. The long handled shovel (with a relatively small head) fits nicely....and doesn't add any discernible wind noise.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 327938

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:19

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:19
I have a JARAM roof rack and they make a wonderful attachment for fitting a shovel , long or short handle. Kaymar have a similar item too with both being available from ARB. From memory it cost me about $45 and my shovel (custom length) travels with me everywhere now.
FollowupID: 328008

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:27

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:27
Yeah I bought the rhino ones, fantastic they are designed for the comercial bars, but I just made an adaptor so it mounts to the basket, that way the shovel comes off with the basket for around town driving. I used to always carry a little one (I still do) but it was a pain getting it in and out with all your gear in the back.
FollowupID: 328164

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:09

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:09
goodday glenno
why did you dig ??? ran into abloke while away last year he found 4 overseas visitors stuck in mud on lake eyre sth right near the sign that said stay off they wanted himto tow them out he said heres the shovel start digging (of course a hire car with no gear )after 4 hrs watching them dig?? rather pathectially he finally pulled them out and next time take note of the signs funny thing was they didnt say thank you his wife said they were most ungreatful.
if your with friends its a bit differentbut when they dont havea think before acting give them the shovel!!!!
jmo

steve
AnswerID: 67144

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:16

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:16
The reason i choose to dig was because i was only on a day trip and didnt want to spend more than 20 minutes getting this bloke out of trouble . I took over from the digging when he started digging sand from the front of the car . If he kept going we would have still been there now .
FollowupID: 327896

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:19

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:19
fair call mate

steve
FollowupID: 327899

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:31

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:31
I generally carry a long handled one if I am going anywehre that i think it may be handy - and I also have a fold up one permanently stowed in the back.

I also have had to dig a few bods out frm time to time, generally backpackers on Fraser Island, where I visit frequently. My one rule though is that if they don't have a snatch strap, I don't use mine. Got bitten once, used mine - guy offered no thanks or anything for the somewhat longer snatch strap that I ended up with, so I got a new one and it is still new.

Backpackers get to use my shovel all by themselves, but a few older folks have been worthy of some assistance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 67148

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:34

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:34
Yes i agree about the snatch strap , although i did use my own snatch strap on fraser once for a lady with a brand new jeep cherokee and big mellons. LOL
FollowupID: 327904

Follow Up By: Sparkiepete - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:44

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:44
I agree totally.
If you are not prepared DON'T GO

I am going 4wding tomorrow and with all the gear I am carrying I don't know if I will have room for SWMBO and BUBBA.;-);-);-)

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327910

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:48

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:48
Sparkiepete, Gee i wonder what i would take , lets see .
recovery gear and beer or wife.
recovery gear and beer or wife.
recovery gear and beer or wife . mmmmmmm hard choice .
FollowupID: 327911

Follow Up By: terracan tim - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 19:50

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 19:50
sparkiepete where are you going 4x4 driving tomorrow I am heading to gembrook to test out what the terracan can do have brought plenty of recovery gear just incase. have anybody looked at a long handle shovel that the handle comes in several parts eg 3 bits that screw into each other that way we would have the best of both worlds does anyone know of anyone selling this type of product
FollowupID: 327920

Follow Up By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:10

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:10
terracan tim

see post 14515 it will explain everything

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327921

Follow Up By: cj - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 14:13

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 14:13
Have a look at this for a collapsible shovel http://www.rugged.co.za/frame.htm Opposite Lock have them or cotact Colin Lane direct 07 3264 6477 or 0438 541 048
FollowupID: 327966

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:34

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:34
Glenno,

I now have a long fibreglass handle shovel attached to the roof passenger grips inside the Prado with strips of 1" wide velcro wrapped around the handle and hand grips several times. Solid as. Shovel is up out of the way and does not interfere with passenger space at all. The blade sits up just inside the back tailgate and the other end of the handle is just over the B pillar.

Made sure that I used plenty of the velcro strip wound tightly around several times on itself to prevent the shovel flying forward in the event of a rollover or collision. The grips themselves are solid enough for people to swing on so I think they will be OK with a 3kg shovel in the event of a crash. Will probably use the same idea on the other side for the fishing rods. More secure that strapping to the roof on the outside.

They are a bugger to carry but they're really really useful when the time comes!

Steven
AnswerID: 67150

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:36

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:36
Ive got rhino racks and purpose built shovel holder .
FollowupID: 327905

Reply By: Magnus - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:43

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:43
Used to carry one on the bullbar of a 78 SWB Toyota Land Cruiser. Looked very impressive. Never had to use it thankfully.

Now carry a small fold up shovel or a short handled spade (about 2 foot handle with a t-bar top) or both and snatch strap, good tow rope and compresser for tyres but that's all.

Magnus
AnswerID: 67153

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:53

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:53
I just happen too find blonks every where i go . I cant just drive past someone in trouble so i guess all the winch ,straps ,and recovery gear get some use and i get a workout which is ok . I need to refine my 6 pack stomach .
FollowupID: 327912

Reply By: Swerv - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:51

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 18:51
Gidday Glenno.

Found the perfect place for a long handled shovel.(and it's not where you think it is either ) :)

I have a trayback Mazda Bravo and have just made up a holder that fits up the front of the tray and paralell to the cab. I went to Bunnings and bought 4 x 90 degree angle brackets already drilled with 1/2 inch holes in them, bolts to suit complete with nyloc nuts, 2 x 60mm exhaust brackets and some pvc piping 50mm ID and 60mm OD.

Drilled into the frame of the tray as close to the front as possible, placed the pvc pipe underneath, attached it to the brackets and then the brackets to the frame. Tightened it all up and Bob's your uncle. Nice safe place to store the long handled shovel. To stop it flying out of the holder when going around the corners, drill a couple of holes in the top of the shovel head big enough to attach some shock cord to it and attach the shock cord to the frame of the tray. The lot cost me about $20 to $25.

If you have a Landcruiser, I believe there is a spot up close to the front somewhere where there are holes going through the chassis. Apparently the handle fits nice and snug through these holes but don't quote me on that as I am not sure. I actually got that one from a man who knows a man who knows a man who owns a big black dog.

Any cruiser ute owners out there want to confirm that one.

Safe travelling

Swerv...
AnswerID: 67154

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 00:25

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 00:25
Longhandled shovels are easy to store on a troopie. There's a tubular cross member at the chassis, just behind the front bumper. The shovel handle fits through there nicely. All I had to do is drill a little hole through the handle where it emerges from the tube and place a large 'P' clip there - stops the shovel from coming out.
At the shovel's business end an oki strap ties it to the bumper to stop it rotating about and a piece of rubber edge moulding on the bumper inside stops chafing the paint.
Now you know it from a man who's actually done that :-)
Klaus
FollowupID: 327948

Reply By: Member - Brian B (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 19:28

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 19:28
Hey Glenno,

We carry a short handled shovel with us as stowage of a long handled one is a bit difficult, but the long handled one is still the best I think.

Speaking of shovels the last couple of times we have gone to Fraser you quite often see the barge crews standing on the loading ramp of the barge leaning on their trusty shovel and when a number of people get stuck crossing the patch of sand that leads to the barge at Inskip Point they come accross and help dig them out.

It's probably good for business because most of the rescued people hop on the barge who helped them out.

The barge business can be pretty competitive in that part of the world.

Cheers
AnswerID: 67162

Follow Up By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:14

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:14
"Speaking of shovels the last couple of times we have gone to Fraser you quite often see the barge crews standing on the loading ramp of the barge leaning on their trusty shovel"

You make them sound like council workers. Sorry couldn't help myself.;-)

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 327923

Reply By: Gazzaa - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:11

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:11
Folks,

I carry two, a short spade (known as the S***shovel) strapped to the hi lift Jack for those times when you really need a shovel and the long handled job in a tube along the roofrack fixed with exhaust clamps for campoven cooking.

Whilst the heat of coals will more tha neutralise any nasties on the shovel my wife is somewhat opposed to usinging the S***shovel for shoveling red hot coals onto the camp oven.

Having said all that the only time I got bogged was in the Kosciuszko National Park and the only shovel that may have helped was one attached to a backhoe!!

In terms of helping out unprepared travellers, I do so reluctantly, but always travel with a self sufficient capability. I have never needed to call on resources outside my group to get mobile.

Gazza

Happy travelling
AnswerID: 67179

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 23:02

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 23:02
Gazza, I only carry a long handled shovel for both the coals and digging holes tobleepe in. Never made a practice ofbleepeing on the shovel.LOL
FollowupID: 327944

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:53

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:53
Des, you should bleep more hahahaha
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 327961

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 22:44

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 22:44
While being no expert on the matter I find a spade is a better tool than a shovel - long handle or short - A spade is more vesatile and much easier to use in harder ground.
Cheers
Greg
"Spades Dance Best From The Hip" - Jim Morrison
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 67190

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 08:06

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 08:06
NO....NO...NEVER....NO WAY...........NO...............

I leave my shovel under the house, I don't want ANY reminders when I am out enkoying myself about what I should be doing under the house....... digging bloody holes........

Shovels are evil. They are the vestige of some alien life form that came here a long time ago. Their spaceship got stuck somewhere, and all these little green dudes had to hop out and dig the bugger out. When it was free, the boss alien dude yelled out"All aboard!", and they all piled in, leaving their shovels on earth for mankind and his womenfolk to find.

They have been trouble to mankind since.........

Cavemen used to hit eachother over the head with them.
Druids found some and took them to Salisbury Hill........... Stonehenge.
Chinese were frightened of them........ Wall of China.
They cause paralasyis in Council Workers........use them as leaning sticks.
Tracy wants me to dig holes under the house.......

They sould be BANNED.

Cheers

Dig My Own Grave Wolf
AnswerID: 67205

Follow Up By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:27

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:27
OK
FollowupID: 327958

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:01

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:01
I always carry one Glenno when I have the roof rack on, long handled post hole shovel fits there nice, doubles as a bleep (whatever a bl;eep is) hole shovel and as Des says (Dez sez) only dig the holes dont bleep on the shovel. Its been all over with me but when the racks not on I have a foldup jobbie I bought at broken hill this year in case I needed a hole, should have saved my monmey and just bought dynamite, the ground was so hard.

As to pulling those less prepared out I will lend a hand, and use my gear, just cause they dont know what theyre doing doesnt mean they deserve to be ignored, mind you I dont have to do it much and if one had to do so all the time it would grate a bit. Dragged a troopie out once on Fraser, just near the Champagne pools, and eventually found he was in 2WD and the FW hubs were under a lovely chrome cover that his boss had not told him about, luckily I spied what looked like a screwdriver prising point and popped the top off to discover the hub. They were MOST appreciative.

Regards
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 67215

Follow Up By: Mungo Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 00:00
I think that's the right attitude. I've been stupid lots of times myself and have always been helped by someone - on the beach with no shovels or snatch strap, that sort of thing. I've learnt from the experiences and now carry plenty of recovery gear, and I'm happy to help others. I suppose what grates is if people are not appreciative of help, or unwilling to learn, or wilfully dismissive of good advice, but I don't think most fall into that category. It's usually ignorance and/or inexperience, and there's no antidote to that except someone willing to point out things, and a few harsh lessons from experience.
FollowupID: 328240

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 17:57

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 17:57
Add us to the list
AnswerID: 67243

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 19:09

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 19:09
We always carry a short shovel 'cause it's easier to store.
Camper
AnswerID: 67248

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 22:17

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 22:17
Glenno, have no trouble with things like long handled shovels, the axe and highlift jack in the dirty toolbox under my tray. Also takes the grill plate which doubles for a jacking plate, and Bedourie oven.....
AnswerID: 67273

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 08:47

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 08:47
My experiance with shovels.....
Bought a folding type... the exxy one not the chinese variety. A friend bought us one as a gift... the exxy one not the chinese variety. We also bought a shovel, not strictly a long handled one but a decent one that lives under the back seat of the Patrol. The first time the two folding ones were brought out, my 13 year old son destroyed it, (the exxy one not the chinese variety) by simply digging sand. I watched him do it! He didn't abuse it, it simply broke! The other one seems ok, but we don't get it out much. The longer shovel is great for lots of thing.... and lives under the back seat.
We bought it from Bunnings., it's called a "4WD Shovel". (I kid you not!) I first thought "What would Bunnings know about 4WD'ing???" But this shovel is a beauty!
AnswerID: 67294

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:36

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:36
I think that's the same one I have in the back as the spare, it's like a mini shovel, yellow and green and I think mine was called a "jeep" shovel. It's need, used it for years before I got the roof rack and holders for the long handled one.
FollowupID: 328165

Reply By: lozza - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:20

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:20
I just recently got back from Cape York,had a long handle shovel on the roof rack,both the shovel and uhf areial stolen.

Lozza
AnswerID: 67468

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:39

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:39
To steal a shovel. Bloody hell, you'd have to be a born loser wouldn't you. Honestly...
Buy a $30 jobby like mine as a replacment arial, works fantastic, get's clobbered constantly and never missed a beat and the wire is soldered internally so you can't take it without cutting the cable and rendering it useless. Even if they do take it, at least you'll know they can't use it!! LOL.
FollowupID: 328166

Sponsored Links