Pop-top caravan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 17:17
ThreadID: 145190 Views:3575 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day g'day folks : I have an issue with a Jayco journey Outback pop-top caravan 2020, that one end of the roof doesn't come down in the correct position... off to one side but only by a few cm , could this be the result of the gas struts ? The side with the awning attached comes down some what quicker than the other side and this is the side that the roof pulling to . The problem is that the roof hatches won't catch on one side and it is causing some rubbing issues when the roof comes down and travelling .
hoping this is making sense
Thanks in advance nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham D2 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 18:13
Nick - I had a similar problem and was caused by one of the anchor points on the scissor lift had given way causing the top to skew to one side at that end. As we were in remote territory when it happened and couldn't have it fixed we ended up with a hole in the skirt from rubbing . Required a new lift mechanism and some patching.

Graham
AnswerID: 642498

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:00

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:00
Thanks Graham , was wondering if the scissor lift was not in the right position from new. It has damaged the material between the roof and the caravan on some small screws Heads wearing a holes in the skirting.
But it definitely comes down quicker on awning side , with awning released slack and no realway of correcting it cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 922081

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 18:21

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 18:21
Is the awning slack when you pull the top down? That will bring that side down quicker if the awning is pulling on it.

I doubt the struts would have weakened to that extent in two years. If you feel they are look up the yellow pages and see if there are any gas strut re-gassing service people in your area. Give them a call, they come to you
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642499

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 20:46

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2023 at 20:46
My 2017 Jayco Journey pop top does the same thing...altho not as bad. Have the awning loose with a good fold in it ....and push the roof across with a steel double footed conduit about 5 foot long while her indoors lowers the roof...works pretty well ....altho sometimes the Weeties I had for breakfast means I push it a tad too far...and the lock down catch wont catch....so gotta go inside...lift it a cuppla inches and drop it again. I also dont tighten catches too much....and this allows roof to move about slightly and it usually settles itself in position pretty much about right.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922078

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:16

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:16
Thanks lads for your comments: yes the awning is slack when lowering but we were wondering if we hadn't damaged the scissor lift inside the van to raise the roof when we haven't released when lifting for the 1st time we used it & was wondering why it was so heavy... so maybe I should be looking at the scissor rather than the struts
many thanks.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 922083

Reply By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 07:58

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 07:58
The alignment of the roof is controlled by scissors in most pop top caravans. If they are loose or damaged or in my case the scissor track was blocked by dust! the roof will not sit properly.
AnswerID: 642504

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:05

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:05
Mike do you mean the scissor inside the the caravan to lift the roof, the caravan is only 2 years old and has not done much work at all . we have just purchased it second hand
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 922082

Follow Up By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:24

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:24
Google ‘caravan scissor lift. Mine (not Jayco) are outside on the front and rear. Two gas struts on each side, they have nothin to do with alignment though.
FollowupID: 922084

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:11
My theory was with the gas strut was because the side with the awning is coming down before the other side and is pulling the roof that way first and pulling the roof out of alignment.
I'm not sure why the roof doesn't come down evenly on both sides and can't seem to stop it.
when we pack it up last we parked it on a inclined so as to make the roof move sideways slightly and it did align a lot better.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 922086

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 14:54

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 14:54
From about 2015 onwards there are no scissor lifts like the earlier ones on Jayco Poptops afaik..only gas struts on outside and opening and shutting frames at each end on the inside. Maybe one of these frames has been bent from some beefy boofhead trying to open it without locking entrance door open. It is nearly impossible to open the roof with door and windows closed....dont ask me how I know this hey....but fortunately am not strong enough to do damage.

Cheers Keith

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922090

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 17:14

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 17:14
Quote "opening and shutting frames at each end on the inside"

Usually referred to as Easy Lifters or Canopy Lifters

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922095

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 22:36

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 22:36
Keith p : beefy boofhead does not sound like me.. that must be the missus . Lol :))
but you can call me anything but not Late for happy hour.. :))
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 922097

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 23:18

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 23:18
SOK...no dispersions cast on you or your missus.....but you did say van was second hand hey.
As far as happy hours go ...well you just never know our paths may cross somewhere on this great island hey.

Cheers Keith

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 922098

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 16:34

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 16:34
"don't ask me how I know this hey"
Not saying a word.
Dave.
FollowupID: 922112

Sponsored Links