GQ Patrol Diff Lock - replacement

Submitted: Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:41
ThreadID: 14524 Views:4438 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have an 89 GQ Patrol with the factory rear diff lock fitted. The unit in the diff has failed and I need to replace it.

Has anyone done this before and can they offer any tips (I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but am worried that I may pull the old one out and then not get the new/secondhand one in)?

If it's too difficult I won't be doing it, as we leave for Cape York in two weeks.

Many thanks.

Mike (catherine's husband)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:46

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:46
One thing about diffs Mick is that you have to have them "set" correctly. We have one guy in town who's good at doing this and he gets most of the work. If its cacked itself, I would take that to mean "You better go get a ARB Air Locker fitted", but if you're prepared to have a go them good luck to you.

Regards
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 67172

Follow Up By: Catherine - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:56

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 20:56
Thanks for that Bonz

The part of the diff lock unit that sits outside the diff casing has sustained a rock impact, and the vacuum no longer engages it (I'm assuming it now has an air leak inside it)

Mike.
FollowupID: 327929

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:21

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 21:21
Mike / Catherine,
I'm with Bonz, especially when you start talking about rock impact damage, the settings are quite important especially when you start talking about preload. If you are going out of town when you go away in two weeks I would get it done by a person who has intimate knowledge and has a good reputation, warranties and promises don't mean much when your stuck in the middle of know where. I don't know how much a genuine diff repair would cost, an air locker should be on your list of possible solutions, you get an installed air compressor to boot, got to be a plus.
I have a fair amount of mechanical aptitude I still get my diffs done by the experts, there aren't any cheap mistakes. My opinions as usual.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 67181

Follow Up By: Catherine - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 18:59
The rock impact is only minor and to the actuator itself, not the diff housing. This impact has dented the housing of the actuator and either caused an air leak or jammed the internal mechanism (in the actuator, not the diff).

I don't believe it requires fiddling with the diff itself. The actuator screws into the side of the diff housing. What I am unsure of is how it attaches to the internals of the diff.
FollowupID: 328069

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 22:07

Friday, Jul 09, 2004 at 22:07
Hi
Do u have the second hand part in your possession? If so, read up on whats involved in the workshop manual, and if you are confident, give it a go . As a backup, if you are not sure how to get it together, take it to a mechanic for some assistance.
You will save a lot of money and learn a bit if you have a go . BUT . also get assistance if you are not 100% sure. I doubt you will have to undo any of the big settings to change the actuator.
Andrew
AnswerID: 67188

Sponsored Links