Innacurate radar device.

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 08:55
ThreadID: 14533 Views:3362 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday I was booked for speeding 77kph in a 60 zone. The speed was measured
by a vehicle mounted mobile radar.
I was not speeding at all and I am on the verge of asking for the matter to
be dealt with in court. I was towing a trailer weighing 1700kg and had 4 spare wheels and tyres in the ute. The ute is a TD Hilux and I was supposed to have attained that speed within 300 mts of when I was last stopped. The car can't do it unless I flog the daylights out of it and then only just.

I just don't want to cop it sweet because I wasn't speeding at all I was just plodding along at 60 kph.
Does anyone know what brand of Radar units they use in the QLD highway patrols?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 10:02

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 10:02
Cant answer your question but here in the illawarra there is currently a furor and a petition with approx 600 siguatures against one particular camera,some people allege their car was stationary when booked.Our local member is seeking an audit of the camera.
There are so many complaints surely they cant all be wrong.
AnswerID: 67211

Reply By: Large - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:36

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 11:36
Brett,

QLD use a "Kustom KR10SP" mobile radar. This is the unit that is mounted on the rear window of marked and unmarked units. There a quite a few websites that explain how it all works and descrepancies may be caused by reflections of the radar signal fron signs, larger vehicles etc. I can sympathise with you not wanting to cop it sweet but to take it to court will cost you more than the fine. You will have to prove the radar is out of calibration etc or argue that the conditions e.g. other traffic was around or Operator error. If you are the only one on the road and a cop is behind you or heading toward you and zaps you, then you are history. Cop car speedos are also calibrated and are checked regularly. Having said that, recently a woman in Vic contested a speed camera fine on the basis that her Datsun 120Y would not do the alleged 150km/h she was pinged for on an expressway, (My wife's 120Y would do 160). and she managed to beat it. Mind you she also had A Current Affair do a story on it as well. Sorry to hear you got pinged unfairly because a lot of speeding pinches are not safety related but just revenue raising, however I think you will end up paying. Cheers.
AnswerID: 67213

Follow Up By: Joe - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:24

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:24
Brett,
I along with hoards of others I have had my points restored and fines returned from Western Ring Road, Victoria cameras being in error, and I think it had a lot to do with that 120Y story.
People who lost liscences are being finiancially compensated also.
It would be worth lodging a written complaint as hopefully you would expect that all state governments are going to be sensitive to issue as the Victorian government is really getting hammere by this.
Maybe you version of RACV can advise you.
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 327963

Reply By: Member - Brian B (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 14:40

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 14:40
Hey Brett,

The reply from Large is spot on.

Mobile discrepancies are hard to win unlike some of the camera related ones we are seeing lately. You would have to prove everything you could such as other road users, weather conditions, the presence of objects such as signs etc and it is near impossible. Police vehicles are regularly calibrated and it is strictly documented so it is unlikely you would win that one. The big one is that it will cost more than the fine but I guess from a personal viewpoint it is a matter of principle. You do need to be aware that hardly any of these when challenged have a win and the challenge can cost a fair bit.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 67221

Reply By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 15:13

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 15:13
Brett,

Agree with the comments re Queensland. However you may wish to check out this site. I didn't read it all, but it was enough to make me think paying may be easier.

http://www.hypermax.net.au/~rogersto/government/index2.htm

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 67222

Follow Up By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 15:22

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 15:22
Brett

I went back and had another look. Seems as though he has still not paid a 2001 ticket and there appear to be no further hassles. Haven't had time to do a proper read of the stuff as there appears to be an awful lot there.

Cheers

Magnus
FollowupID: 327968

Reply By: oddy - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 15:23

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 15:23
You are peeing into the wind if you think you can beat them in court. I had a similar experience driving up a 'range' fully loaded with trailer, got me at 94 which was impossible.... Have a mate who's a solicitor and we lossed taking it to court. The photo looked like a double exposure and there was another vehicle going down the range the other way and it was on a bend! It's a joke. If they lose and a precedent is set they are stuffed so they cannot afford to lose under any circumstances.
No wonder they are not respected by some in the community.
AnswerID: 67223

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 07:48

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 07:48
oddy, if there was another vehicle in the pic, you should have fought it, how can they say your car was the one speeding? Just my two cents worth.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 328005

Follow Up By: Large - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:03

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:03
John,

Speaking to a mate who is in the job last week and with the "trafficpax" in car type speed camera in use in SA they can now determine which car in the photo is speeding. The laser type of camera in use in some states can also determine which vehicle is speeding. Not sure how it works but that what he tells me. Cheers.
FollowupID: 328006

Reply By: andysgu - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 16:33

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 16:33
The revenue collecters got me for passing a car towing a horse float at 140 they didnt bother with the horse float he was only doing 120 the pigs excuse was you are only allowed to do the state limit whilst passing ! But you are allowed to tow a horse float at 120 who says the Vic cops are strait it was probly one of his mates towing the horse float might even been the local jp .
AnswerID: 67230

Reply By: robsil - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 17:45

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 17:45
read post 14249 it wont help youre pocket but it will make feel better
AnswerID: 67242

Reply By: motherhen - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 19:30

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 19:30
I read in the bulletin magazine last week about a power line contractor in Qld - got book for doing 80 in a 60 zone with a cherry picker - at the time it was stationery, bucket fully extended with someone in it doing repairs on the power line. No doubt they'll have Work Safe (or the Qld equivalent) pursuing them for doing 80 km in a cherry picker with bucket fully extended!
Speed cameras - I hate them - they haven't nabbed me yet, but I see them hiding in places that couldn't possibly be a major safety risk, like just behind the 70 km zone, on the approaches to a town.
Good luck with your fight - we hear in the media of some successes, but some horror stories of attempts to prove they couldn't do that speed, or they weren't even there at the time, and they still get fined, or worse still, a huge legal bill which they can't get recompense for when proved innocent. So unfair!
AnswerID: 67249

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:13

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:13
I got nabbed on a recent rip to Perth for doing 66 km/h in a 60 zone. Now I cant testify as to whether or not I was going that "fast" but if I spent the required amount of time watching my speed to avoid such a small discretion then I would surely have an accident through being inattentive.
It would be hard to convince me that's not revenue raising but I paid the fine like a good little boy and copped it sweet.
And they wonder why we have so much contempt !
AnswerID: 67296

Reply By: brian - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:44

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:44
Was wondering has anyone purchased the clear plastic covers that fit over numberplate and make plates invisible to speed cameras,they are available from england via internet about $100 roughly.they work by distorting the light beam as it passes through the plastic cover
AnswerID: 67472

Sponsored Links