Len Beadell Birthday

Submitted: Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:42
ThreadID: 145556 Views:1469 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Today, 21st April, is Len Beadell's 100th birthday.

Happy Birthday Lennie.

Here is a link. to a special Centenary Gallery of Len's sketches.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 12 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:01

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:01
Happy heavenly 100 Len....
AnswerID: 643370

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:24

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:24
I was given a copy of Too Long In The Bush as a prize at school in 1968.
As a teenager it was just a story.
Around the time I got interested in remote travel a couple of decades ago I discovered the book hidden away in a box.
It was a different read then.
It’s interesting to reflect on his experiences when we travel his roads all these years later in a modern 4wd with all the comforts modern day camping provides.
The early explorers and more recent ones like Len Beadell were remarkble people.

Cheers
AnswerID: 643371

Reply By: Joe Fury - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:55

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:55
G'day Allan

Well, there you go, Len Beadell would have turned 100 today, not that it's important to anyone out there in ExplorOz land, but I remember meeting Len, way back in a shopping centre carpark, in Salisbury South Australia.

He didn't notice me at first, I was sitting behind the steering wheel of my vehicle patiently waiting for my wife to return (she was shopping), Len and his wife were walking past my vehicle and he stopped to admire the engineering marvel of the 'Bull Bar' across the front of my short wheel base ex Army Land Rover.

He was happily going about banging on the bar work and giving the Rover a fair shaking just to see in the engineering was good enough to meet his standards.

I gave the horn a quick 'toot' to which he near jumped out of his boots, he then sheepishly gave the top rail of the home made bar an affectionate pat and said, it's a beauty mate, we ended up having a short conversation about going 'bush' and just not being 'here' as he called it.

Len was at that particular time, driving a Toyota FJ 55 wagon, which had of all things a tractor seat bolted to the top of the purpose built front bar.

I didn't know who he was at the time and he most certainly didn't big note either, though I did feel rather embarrassed (much later) that I didn't actually know of him and of his very significant explorer life.

This was back in the early 1970's, I was newly married and working at GMH in Elizabeth South Australia.

Safe travels : Joe

AnswerID: 643372

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 16:20

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 16:20
G'day Joe.
Yes, Lennie was a delight to chat to when he came in to Woomera in the 50's. There was always a group around him and as you said, he never "big-noted" himself. He didn't need to, as his exploits were astonishing enough without embellishment although at times it was difficult to judge if he was joking or not. He was after all, a master raconteur. His distinctive voice and infectious laugh were a joy to listen to. And he attracted teenagers like the Pied Piper did.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923013

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 15:47

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 15:47
I was privileged to meet and chat with Len on 2 occasions.
On the first occasion we talked (amongst other things) about where we had taken our Minis. On the second occasion (about 2 years later) he recalled our first conversation in some detail. Amasing.
My hero.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643374

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 16:13

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 16:13
I had the great pleasure of visiting Len in his office within WRE fortnightly (I was on the pay run, those days of fortnightly cash only). The walls were adorned with pencil sketches. He usually had time for a chat, I had just bought my first FJ40 second hand.
AnswerID: 643375

Reply By: Gerard S - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 20:08

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 20:08
I've just ordered the updated version of his book to mark this event
AnswerID: 643393

Sponsored Links