<span class="highlight">caravan</span> packing list

Submitted: Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 16:21
ThreadID: 145557 Views:2041 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a list of items considered essential for traveling in a caravan around Australia for a year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 2517. - Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 17:35

Friday, Apr 21, 2023 at 17:35
Long Handled Shovel,uses unlimited.
AnswerID: 643377

Reply By: Happy Explorer - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 07:08

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 07:08
Good morning Suzuki
Firstly let me say, I have not done the big lap and probably never will.
However, my wife and I do plan to spend next year in our van after retiring at the end of this year.
As for your list, I would think that it largely comes down to personal preferences and size of van and your past experiences etc.
My focus would be making sure that nothing is left untouched when it comes to maintenance before I started out. Be absolutely sure that all systems are checked and serviced. I am very much a preventative maintenance person. I just could not see the funny side of being stuck on the side of the road somewhere with a collapsed wheel bearing or similar. Then again, what is your plan? If you are only travelling the highways between major centres then it would not be as important as it is for us as we are focused on bush camping in out of the way places so need to be pretty much self sufficient.
Comes down to what is your intent and needs?
I will say though, when I built our van I did a lot of research on regulations and compliance. It is amazing (read, absolutely crazy) the variations from state to state. A good understanding of the variations probably would save you some grief and angst at times.
If your tow vehicle has an auto transmission then I would not be starting out without a transmission temperature gauge. An OBD gauge like Ultra Gauge works well as it can monitor the pan temp as well as the torque converter temp and you can set an alarm if outside your perimeters. Be sure to have your trans fluid checked too as it might need flushing if it is looking or smelling burnt from previous over heating. Others will chime in here and say they don't have any problems. Well, I will say first up that anyone not monitoring the pan and TC temps really would have no idea how hot the auto is getting. If you are monitoring these with no issues, then that is great, enjoy.
Good luck (that is do your prep), have fun and stay safe.
Oh, and don't forget that shovel. I agree. Add to that a lawn rake to clear your site and some ant powder.
Cheers
Roy G.
AnswerID: 643379

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 07:47

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 07:47
The best thing you can take is a happy go lucky care free nothing is a problem attitude !

I don't own a caravan but have travelled this big brown land for over fifty years and the above has always worked well for me !

enjoy your trip

Cheers
Gazz

AnswerID: 643380

Reply By: Happy Explorer - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 08:22

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 08:22
Suzuki
I forgot something important for your list.
At the risk of stating the obvious, I will add a couple bottles of good Jamaican rum. One for regular use and a spare just in case you do get caught out somewhere you don't want to be.
I reckon Gazz probably carries a couple bottles as well;)
Roy G.
AnswerID: 643381

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 11:42

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 11:42
There are shops out there.
The biggest mistake is not to forget something but to take too much that you don't need.
If in doubt, leave it home.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643384

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 11:49

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 11:49
The suggestions here may be useful to you, but you probably want the basic list to start off with and reassess from there. There are numerous on the web (some pushing their own products, not necessarily a bad thing).

Here's one to start off with:

List

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 643385

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 13:18

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 13:18
Such a list is a very personal thing & depends to a great extent upon where you are going & personal preferences. Previous caravanning experience comes into it too. If you have already done a bit, you probably already have what you need.

If you plan getting off the beaten track you might need a few extras in regard to spares & tools.

I echo Peter n Margaret's response.

I am convinced that the RV & camping accessory market is far more dependent than any other upon inexperienced purchasers. The percentage of unnecessary goods to fill your van with which they will have new campers believe that they cannot manage without is incredible. So many things which appears to be a good idea to solve a problem which doesn't really exist! When you see the experienced traveller with their few trusty implements you could be forgiven for wondering how they have ever manage without all those new fangled doodads. Go with the basics & if there is a gap you find, fill it along the way.

Unless looking 'swish' is essential in your life take minimal clothing. You can always get climate appropriate clothing from OP shops as you go. They are a source of many things, including local knowledge & a chat.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643386

Reply By: Member - Suzuki LJ50 Bt50 - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 13:50

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 13:50
Hi To All, Thank you for the information and comments we are just about to start the big lap and will be away for the next 3 plus years. We have had a smallish van and have traveled on holidays but this is the big one. The new van has just arrived and looks ok wheel alignment and bearing checks revealed that the wheel alignment was way out and the person who is employed to pack the wheel bearings needs to be retained/sacked People pay a small fortune for these vans and then have to check/repair what should have been done at manufacture. I, that is we are trying to make sure that we have crossed off as much as we can and will be using the advice if you don't use it in 3 months why have you packed it? The weight issue is truly in the in of the gods. I have packed and have had the vehicle and van weighed then repacked and weighed again just to make sure only to be told that there are new regulations on the way which may mean that the tow Vehicle (BT50) may not be able to tow the van. Anyway, we will need to cross that issue when it arrives. So thank you all for your help and comments and hopefully, I will see some of you on the road.
AnswerID: 643387

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 14:40

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 14:40
Good luck with your van & safe travels.

For any newbies reading this I would add that choosing the size of van needed has little to do with the length of the travel period planned. More to do with levels of comfort & convenience desired.

Our 'van' has been our 'home on the road' to us for over 5 years now.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 923018

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 18:23

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 18:23
Suzuki, interested in your comment, "only to be told that there are new regulations on the way which may mean that the tow Vehicle (BT50) may not be able to tow the van". Any more info available? Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923023

Follow Up By: Pepper - Sunday, Apr 23, 2023 at 09:11

Sunday, Apr 23, 2023 at 09:11
If its a bt50 be aware that these suffer from overheating gearboxes (mine ran at up to 125 deg c even after fitting an additional oil cooler ) , perhaps carry an intercooler air hose as they commonly split and cause the vehicle to loose power. ( i tow a 3000kg van , you may not ).

Maybe carry a spare fuel filter and be able to change it..

A scan gauge can be fitted in minutes and will give lots of info that may assist in reducing mechanical malfunctions along the way.

The air hose can be easily changed in about 15 mins ,thats better than being towed to a town and waiting for a repair.

When travelling and needing a repair it is common to find an extensive delay to have a vehicle booked in for a repair .

On our last trip in west aust ( 6 months ago ) we checked from canarvon to ceduna and found that mazda dealers or private mechanic quoted a minimum of 3 weeks delay to even look at our mazda that had an electrical problem..

Having said that i found the mazda to be an excellent tow vehicle ,stable ,great power and comfortable. Fuel consumption was 17 to 23 litres per 100 klm.

FollowupID: 923027

Reply By: Happy Explorer - Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 17:36

Saturday, Apr 22, 2023 at 17:36
Hi Suzuki
What you outlined above about suspension issues and possible issues with towing limits is precisely the point I made at the top of this thread.
I reckon you might even find something amiss in the electrics department too before long, hope you don't.
Much better to address this stuff before you go though if you can.
As others have said, you can throw out and acquire stuff as needed along the way.
Again, I wish you well and enjoy your trip.
Roy G.
AnswerID: 643391

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 11:22

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 11:22
Simple answer is about 25% of what you first think about.
We have 2 saucepans, a no stick square fry pan with lid. Can cook roast anything with those 3 items. A few tools. A battery drill and a coil of wire (I am ex farmer) . It is amazing what can be fixed with wire .
Don't forget the wife.

Neil
AnswerID: 643408

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 17:30

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 17:30
What is the "battery drill" for Neil?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 923049

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 18:06

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 18:06
Battery operated
FollowupID: 923050

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 21:21

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 21:21
Yes, but what do you drill with it...... or whatever is it used for? I am genuinely interested.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 923053

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2023 at 08:57

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2023 at 08:57
I have found it one of most useful items. Like installing /removing screws, drilling holes (to poke wire through) . When I think about it it is probably more for others for emergency repairs than myself. As I am not fultime on the road a lot of travellers will need to carry their own drill. I guess if you have a home to go back to may not be so important,
If you are in a caravan very handy for winding down the legs.

Just my thinking with weight not a major restriction in our motorhome.
Everyone makes their own decision which is not a problem. In the end in a group someone will have anything required.

Neil

FollowupID: 923055

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 17:07

Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 17:07
Hi Allan,

I use screw in pegs for my awning ground pegs. I use a battery drill to drive the pegs in and out. Plus I also use it to wind the stabiliser legs and the jockey wheel/plate down.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923065

Reply By: Member - Suzuki LJ50 Bt50 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 19:41

Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 19:41
Thanks guys for info looks like lots of small trips to discover the right level of comfort.
AnswerID: 643440

Sponsored Links