Camping on Sandy Blight Junction Road

I'm in a convoy of 4 camper trucks and have come half way down Sandy Blight Junction Rd.

Currently stopped at a Wikicamps bush campsite about 81km (straight line) from GCR.

Its pretty slow going in the trucks so wont make it to Grt Central Rd tomorrow.

Easy for a single truck to find a spot but not so easy for 4.

Does anyone know of good spots heading South towards CGR? Eg Bungabiddy Rick Hole.

Thx
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 21:21

Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 21:21
From what I recall, it’s not much of a camp up at the turnaround, near the Spring.

But back towards the SB, there’s an area there that may suit your group? Few trees & a bit of scrub I think?

Just for the record, there is a good camp back up at a pump, towards the border crossing. There was a group already camped at the pump so we went further into the scrub & found a spot big enough for our 4 vehicles.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643620

Follow Up By: Member - Kenny M - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:50

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:50
Thanks Bob - nailed it!
FollowupID: 923328

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:23

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:23
Probably a bit late to reply now for you, but you say you are using WikiCamps but I presume you also have the ExplorOz Traveller app with the offline EOTopo maps? If so you should be able to see a few markers that others have put with comments, plus the Bungabiddy Rockhole Camp and info which says:

The access road into this area is narrow and rocky. It ends at this point, where most people make camp (free bush camp, no facilities) but you are still about 300m from the actual rock pools, which Len Beadell documented as having crystal-clear water. To reach the rock pools you will need to walk. Near the car park area, there is an old blazed tree, believed to have been made by Frank Hann in 1904.

Have fun, looks great. Love that area. Hope you took some drone footage of Mt Strickland etc.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643622

Follow Up By: Member - Kenny M - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:58

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:58
Thanks. I scouted the track up to the last turning hole but the rest of the trucks stayed back and we camped in that 2nd site - very nice.
FollowupID: 923330

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, May 19, 2023 at 12:46

Friday, May 19, 2023 at 12:46
HI Kenny, that's a great photo. Make sure you add it to Places :) May I also post it to the Trek Note or destination promotion?
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643623

Follow Up By: Member - Kenny M - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:51

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 08:51
Hi David
Not my photo but ill ask.
Cheers
FollowupID: 923329

Reply By: Member - Kenny M - Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 07:51

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 07:51
Thanks folks.
Found two camp sites and a turning loop. The one at the road was pretty bleak and looked more like a youth's hangout, with a couple of trashed cars there.
Stayed at the 2nd site, which is the one around 300m from the spring.
I did drive my truck to the end of a narrow and very rocky track, across a dry river bed and people had camped up there, right at the end. But not enough room for 4x 6.5T trucks.
Next, we'll head down Connie Sue then hope the Canning Stock Route is clear enough for us.
AnswerID: 643631

Sponsored Links