Treks and Track Logs

Submitted: Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 15:07
ThreadID: 145666 Views:1403 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I've created a few track logs from the plotaroute website which works well, and found out how to display it on the map screen. Is there any way to convert this to a trek? Reason I'm asking is that when I display the track log and the click on the screen the track log disappears.

Cheers, Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 06:53

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 06:53
Hi Paul

If I am correct, the plot a route website you refer to is the desk top App.

You are actually creating a Trek. To keep it on the screen as you ask, after you have named & saved it, put it into a folder and load the folder, all done from the right hand side menu.
Very well explained page 14 of the manual.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643641

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 12:58

Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 12:58
Plot a route is a different beast

Plot a Route

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 923362

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 12:35

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 12:35
Paul, I've just looked at that site you mention: the Traveller app does 3 of the 4 methods it offers to create a route.

1. It offers "Point and Click" which is identical to the option we provide in Traveller using the Rule/Measure tool.
2. It offers "Choose Waypoints" which is identical to the option we provide in Traveller using Places for auto routing (in Traveller you then SAVE to create a Personal Trek).
3. It offers 'Make me a route" which suggests 10 random routes for a stated distance (designed for people wanting to find alternative loop options for a run/walk of a specific distance nearby). Traveller does not offer this.
4. It offers "Upload a Route" which is identical to the option we provide in Traveller to allow file imports from GPX, TCX, KML files which in Traveller creates a Track Log.

There is ONLY one way to create a "Personal Trek" to use in Traveller and that is to use option 2 in Traveller. Use Places to create a route then save.

For option 2 - the file you create on that site can only be imported to Traveller as per option 4. Which doesn't create a Trek but a Track Log which is a route line on a map but no navigation guidance. So if you make that route using Traveller instead of using the other program you would have a Personal Trek.

In answer to your statement that the whole reason you are doing this is because "when I display the track log and click on the screen the track log disappears" that is because when you tap to select a Track Log from a list - it will simply display that single item on the map - so if you now tap the map it will deselect it.

To keep the Track Log fixed on the map screen you need to first add it to a folder then select the folder in Map Layers.

The trick is instead of tapping the item from the list - use swipe left - tap the folder icon (and select which existing folder to add it to, or create a new folder). Then go to your map layers, select Folders and the default will show all Folders (this will display all Treks, Places, and Track Logs that you have in those Folders), or tap All Folders and add a filter to just show specific folders. Now those selected items will remain on the map if you tap other things on the map.

Please have a read through the User Manual in relation to using lists/using data/using folders/viewing Track Logs etc. if you want more step by step instructions and screen shots to make this easy to follow by looking at the pictures.

Regards Michelle
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643665

Reply By: Paul S50 - Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 18:25

Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 18:25
Thanks all for the reply, apologize for not getting back sooner.
All good information, and yes, uploading the file from plot a route does just create the Track Log which is fine. I didn't realize adding the track log to a folder was the way to go however that works fine now.

Since I use the traveller app on an android head unit, it would likely be a lot easier to create a trek using the PC version. May be worth investing in that one as well.

Regards,
Paul
AnswerID: 643700

Sponsored Links