overheating

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 21:34
ThreadID: 14572 Views:1910 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a problem with overheating on hills, when towing our camper trailer, our 3.0L V6 4Runner seems to run very hot up long hills, all other times it goes great just when we are pulling up the hills, the temp gauge seems to head towards the RED, has anyone else had this problem or know of it ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 22:22

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 22:22
Mark,
Suggest to start by checking the viscous fluid in your fan.....that's what it usually comes down to. There's been a lot written about this is the past; I had same issue with my Patrol and even now it still gets a bit too warm. My next step is a new PWR radiator ($1100-....ouch)
AnswerID: 67385

Follow Up By: goldfinder - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 00:08

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 00:08
Put one of those PWR jobies in my GU Patrol a while back. Definately no heating problems any more.
FollowupID: 328113

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 09:00

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 09:00
G'day Goldfinder,

Yes, I think we've discussed this before and I did ask a question some months ago to see if you we still on the forum and how your PWR was going, but I don't think you were around at the time.

Glad you are happy with yours and it seems that is the way i will now have to go.

FollowupID: 328123

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:01

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:01
Your wife must love you Roachie!!
FollowupID: 328158

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:13

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:13
Chris,
Annette is one of the most understanding women you'd be likely to meet in a day's march. She understands (for example) that if the truck goes fubar (to steal one of Trucksters favourite terms), it is she who will have to push it the rest of the way to our destination. So, she is quite happy for me to keep the wheels rolling by whatever means I deem necessary.
Just don't tell her I told you all this....pleeeeaaaaassssseee
FollowupID: 328159

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:20

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:20
I totally understand Roachie, my wife is very understanding and I have spent alot on my current truck and I will continue to on the newbie. My favourite line is "It's a tax deduction!"

My wife loves an aesthetically pleasing vehicle so I'm lucky in that department...As long as my truck stays under the business name, I'll be all good when it comes to purchasing accessories...

I won't say anything if you don't! :-) (Is that extortion?)
FollowupID: 328163

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 13:10

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 13:10
Same as with my Surf, the auto gearbox oil cooler is situated in the bottom of your radiator, th gear box is probally getting mighty hot, then causing the radiator to not work very well. The viscous an fluid will deffinatally help, but you will need to probally look at the top tank of your radiator as it will most likley have some little white or red or green dots showing pin hole leaks. These won't effect it much until it really starts to work and the pressure starts to build up, the leaks will drop the pressure and cause the water/coolant to boil. Also, becaus the gear box torque convertor is producing most of the heat while towing up hill, use the ATP button and select power mode. It won't give you anymore power but it will drop down gears quicker and hold on longer so the torque converter is working less, also turn your overdrive off when towing a trailer up hill.
AnswerID: 67440

Reply By: Moz - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 23:13

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 23:13
G'day Mark L
My old Troopy HJ75 series had similar problem.
It only happened under severe load uphill the temp gauge would 'spike'
up to the red.
Reco the radiator, replaced the thermostat and coolant and flushed the block
and checked the viscous fan, all needed to be done but didn't solve it.
Then I replaced the radiator hoses - fixed problem.
I didn't prove it but I think the bottom radiator hose was collapsing when doing
some revs (2000 rpm) and then I woud floor it to overtake or similar as soon as
I lifted off the accelerator the gauge would immediately drop to normal.
It is acceptable for the gauge to read a little higher when then engine is loaded
but it should not get to the RED without there being a problem.

Hope this helps,
Moz
AnswerID: 67543

Sponsored Links