Babay capsule tie down points

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:10
ThreadID: 14586 Views:2636 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,
We are expecting our first child in the middle of November and i have a
question with reards to the tie down points for baby capsule .We have a 95 80 series GXL,we have removed the third row seats.Now the manual tells us that the tie down point s are behind the second row seats and not in the roof like the DX.We want to put a set of _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and fridge slide in to make things easier and i was wondering how you overcome the problem with the tie downs under the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx.eg. relocation of the tie downs points and its legality. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:32

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:32
If I remember correctly the anchor point is between the 2nd & 3rd row on the floor..
Talk a qualified person/s (those who install extra seats, cargo barriers etc) about your problem...they should be abe to suggest a solution
AnswerID: 67416

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:06

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:06
Don,
If the "proper" anchor point is going to be under the drawer set-up, you can buy extension straps in various lengths......I would envisage bolting one of the to the anchor point and have it hanging loose so that the other end is right behind the 2nd row of seats in front of the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx. Then you could simply attach the seat to the extension. This assumes of course that by bolting the extension strap to the point, that it will not interfere with the placement of the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx. (eg: does the anchoring of the drawer set up also utilise the seat belt anchor point?)
When our youngest was in a car seat (capsule prior to that) I actually attached it to the cargo barrier, using a piece of heavy steal bar horizontally behinf the cage so that the load was spread across the 2 main central uprights. I did it myself and always wondered whether it was "legal". I was always confident that it was strong enough. Luckily it never got put to the test, so to speak.

Good luck
AnswerID: 67417

Reply By: Taize - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:50

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:50
Another option is to have an approved installer put an anchor point in the roof. I would not do anything myself and make sure that the person doing the installation is an approved to install anchor bolts. I've heard of people having the anchor bolts installed to the top of the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx. I think they needed some special reinforcing to do it.
AnswerID: 67428

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:15

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 16:15
I'm no engineer and deffinatally no lawyer, however we are going through the same motions at the moment with our little girl due in November. The Surf (apparently) does not have "baby" tie down points because it's an import, however it does have "luggage" tie down points that look as though they go right through the chasis rails. If this is the case, I can't imagine a roof mount possiblly being stronger and want to know why the hell I can't just take the bolt out, put the bracket in and put the bolt back through??? Everyone keeps telling me it's illegal!
Also, I saw a troopie the other day with a capsual tech screwed to a false floor in the back, WTF? What are the laws with all this crap. The way I see it, I'm going to make it bloody stronger than the factory ones anyway.
AnswerID: 67466

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:42

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:42
Don't know about WA but here in Vic only an approved installer can muck around with restraint points. I had to get two brackets installed in the back of the ute when I purchased it from a dealer, it was part of the deal. The dealer told me after he just about fell down when he got the
$400 bill.
FollowupID: 328171

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:54

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:54
Pigs arse $400, they can lock me up for that price! I'll bloody do it myself!
FollowupID: 328173

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 20:11

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 20:11
oh, I thought it was cheap...nah just kiddin.
That was for two special brackets across the back window and installation. You wont require the special brackets. Don't worth messing with the law too much when it comes to childrens lifes. If anything happened to the kids in a ding you may find yourself highly embarrased after the investigation. I wont tell ya what to do but there are many out there who are more than happy to.
FollowupID: 328195

Reply By: Skiddy - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:36

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:36
We were warned by an insurance rep at our ante natal class that unless you have a certificate to say your bolt was installed by a licensed person you are not covered.
AnswerID: 67498

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:30

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:30
First child..........

Sell GXL
Sell boat
Sell Motorbike
Sell camping gear
Sell cameras

Not 'cause you won't be able to get away......... cause when ther'e 18........ they cost HEAPS to run!!

Nah......... Chers mate. My daughter is away camping with her friends up at Burra, and I miss her!!

Cheers

Dad to two......Wolfie
AnswerID: 67508

Reply By: Moz - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 22:34

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 22:34
G'day Don,
I had to deal with this issue 12 months ago with my 60 series.
The wagon had no anchor points for a capsule but had luggage anchors
in the cargo area floor.
I took it to Opposite Lock who fitted a 'crab' bar for less than $200.
There are heaps authorised installers in the Yellow pages.
They need to be authorised because any restraint point is a roadworthy
item for the vehicle and requires a 'mod' plate in Qld.
The bar is mounted across the vehicle about 150mm behind and level
with the top of the rear seat.
The bar is about 40mm in diameter and is supplied with loops that can
be adjusted along the bar depending on where you want the capsule.
It encroaches into the cargo area a bit but I can unbolt and remove it if need be.
The bracket locations are dependent on how much access you can get
through the side trim panels.
I think $200 is cheap for the peace of mind you get concerning your child's safety.

Cheers Moz
AnswerID: 67540

Sponsored Links