Jackaroo oils

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1459 Views:2652 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have made up a page to share with Jack owners, re oil choices for the new tech 3.0 diesel. Feedback here welcomed....is here or manual: http://dmitafe.com/~darian/jackoils. Is Castrol only for now, and no....I have no connection with them.....feedback on other products could be added.... Cheerz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Damien - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
G'Day Darian, interesting research you've done there mate.
In my opinion, based on discussions i've had with various mechanics, it is vitally important to change oil every 5K. Research has been done to show oil in diesel engines will "go off" after 7-8K.
I change my own oil at 5K & use a 5w-40 Penrite oil. This gives cold start protection as well as high end protection for towing etc.
At my nest 10k dealer service i will be supplying them with my own oil.
I did not change the main filter at the last change but did the secondary one instead, in future i will be changing both.
At the end of the day it is a costly exercise (the oil i'm using is $40 for 5 litres) but i think it's worth every cent if it's going to protect & prolong the life of my Jack.
AnswerID: 4785

Reply By: DARRYL - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
very interesting research on the oils ,My mechanic has advised me to 5000 km changes ,10w 40 and we are using penzoil .We are pleased with how it is starting ,although here in the west we dont get as cold as in the east,we changed both filters last service but will probably only change main next service .Filter on high pressure fuel system will be done next .We have had our jack 2000 8months now and are very pleased with highway power and economy . The only thing that takes a bit to get used to is the accelerator ,especially low gears when it gets touchy and iam not sure if the electrics can be adjusted
Happy trails
Darryl
AnswerID: 4792

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
I have had my jack for just over a week now and I have had some trouble starting it in the cold (newcastle). It will fire on the 2nd crank normally. I have been told that is a combo of 2 things to do with the oil,
1 is the oil HAS to be an extremely thin consitency (5W-30)
2 the engine will not fire until it has oil pressure ( a computer controlled thing) to protect the engine, hence needing the thin oil.
I have also been told the new TDs (mine is 99) have 2 batteries standard to combat the problem of starting in the cold which I think is a pittiful effort by Holden of fixing the problem.
Feed back is appreciated.
Tim
AnswerID: 4845

Follow Up By: Damien - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Tim, the fuel injection on your Jack is controlled directly from the oil pressure. This means that the engine needs to crank a few times to build up oil pressure which inturn allows fuel to flow. The delay in starting you are experiencing is quite normal.
The early model 3.0L T/D's were sometimes found to be difficult to start in very cold weather due to the above reason. Holden/Isuzu fixed the problem by installing a 2nd cranking battery.
The type of oil you are using is very important. I use a 5W/40 oil which allows oil to flow more quickly from start-up. This has a two-fold effect - firstly it allows the oil pressure to build, therefore allowing the engine to fire more quickly & secondly it provides superior engine protection. A 10W/30 or 10W/40 would also be quite suitable (depends on how much you want to pay).
Also, make sure you allow your glow plugs to warm up before starting, especially in cold weather.
FollowupID: 2062

Reply By: charl- Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Bosch has developed a multi functional oil sensor for spark-ignition and diesel engines which not only supplies accurate information on the oil level but also on the condition of the lube-oil in use. Changing intervals can now be optimally timed on the basis of this information, since a required oil change needs only be done if the oil is in fact no longer serviceable. This saves money and causes less pollution. Another benefit: The information supplied by the sensor also provides an insight into the engine condition. This way, it is possible to detect technical defects at an early stage, thus preventing engine damage. Also, previously conducted readings with a plunger to get the oil level are no longer necessary.
Lube-oil wears out at different rates depending on various factors such as individual driving mode, frequency of cold starts, fuel quality or ambient temperature. Nowadays, on-board computers in many standard vehicles calculate the oil condition on the basis of these factors. The new Bosch sensor, on the other hand, determines the actual current condition of the lube-oil by measuring its viscosity, temperature and electrical parameters. Based on this data, an optimal timing for an oil change becomes much more precise and reliable than previously.

Bosch plans to equip standard vehicles with the oil condition sensor as of 2003.

regards charl

AnswerID: 4873

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
More info to chew on - great use of the forum....I have just finished a few days camping in the upper Flinders Ranges (SA) and the last two mornings were serious frosts - we were literally cracking ice off the tent and breaking into water bowls etc. I put the bonnet up at 8am and had the sun shining on the top of the donk for 1.5 hours before we left. Without having turned the donk in four days, it fired up (one battery - a 99 model).....but only just ......it was very sluggish.
Bottom end of the donk would still have been close to zero - battery would have warmed up somewhat, being black - good test for the 10W-40 Dynamax it seems to me (seeing that the 15W-40 RX Super was sluggish in cold but no where near frosty conditions...dp
AnswerID: 4896

Sponsored Links