Roads open from Innamincka to Birdsville

Submitted: Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 16:04
ThreadID: 145970 Views:2369 Replies:4 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys! I’m near Thargaminda on my way to Innamincka. With limited data I’m trying to find out what roads are open from Innamincka to Birdsville. I prefer to go through Cordillo Downs but would like to know my options.
I’m assuming things are starting to dry out out there.
Thanks for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 16:22

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 16:22
Just grabbed this from SA Outback Roads

Cordillo Downs Road - Arrabury turn off to SA/QLD Border
Open to 4WD vehicles with towing and heavy vehicles to the weight equivalent to single semi. Caution at
ponded water sections and soft creek crossings.

Cordillo Downs Road - Innamincka to Arrabury turn off
Open to 4WD vehicles with towing and heavy vehicles to the weight equivalent to single semi. Caution at
ponded water sections and soft creek crossings.

AnswerID: 644092

Follow Up By: Member - Pedirka - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 17:11

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 17:11
Thanks for looking that up for me Cookie!
Appreciate it!
FollowupID: 923997

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 18:16

Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 18:16
https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/_recache
Click on the road for additional detail.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 644093

Follow Up By: Member - Pedirka - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 08:19
Thanks Peter!
FollowupID: 924000

Reply By: Member - William B - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 07:31

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 07:31
I have jus driven from the Birdsville development road to Innaminka via the Cordillo road in a Prado 120 towing a jayco caravan.
The road has numerous boggy sections but they have by- passes in place.
It was a much better road from when I last drove it.
Just be carefull of the floodways.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644096

Follow Up By: Member - Pedirka - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 08:17

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 08:17
Thanks William!
We’ll be in Innamincka tomorrow and will spend a few days, then off to Birdsville.
So should be a bit drier again by then.
Thanks again, gives me confidence that we’ll get through ????
FollowupID: 923999

Reply By: Briste - Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 08:54

Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 08:54
I have the same question in reverse. I expect to be in Birdsville in a few days, and from there would like to travel to Innamincka. Which is likely to be the easiest route - Cordillo or Arrabura? Pedirka or anyone else who has travelled these roads quite recently - how did you find them?

Note: I've looked at all the road reports, so I know what they say, so no need to repost those links
AnswerID: 644175

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:01

Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:01
Use this Link as your guide.

As of last Saturday, the roads were open to 4x4 and heavy vehicles, with caution for creek crossings and ponded water.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924169

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 20:50

Monday, Jul 24, 2023 at 20:50
Thanks Stephen. As I said, I have studied the various state traffic resources, including the SA one, and so I know what they say.

My real problem is QLD. I'm not inclined to believe their traffic site. I just drove the Donohue Highway from the NT border, and with its mix of bitumen and freshly graded dirt, it has to be one of the best outback roads around, with no sign of water. But you wouldn't know that from their traffic site, which still has long term flooding warnings amd a 4wd ony restriction on it. What a load of old cobblers!

So can I believe their silence on the Arrabury Road, which is the one I'm more inclined to take, even though it's longer? Anyone driven it recently?
FollowupID: 924174

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jul 25, 2023 at 11:22

Tuesday, Jul 25, 2023 at 11:22
From what I recall of the Arrabury road, Briste, it’s mostly on elevated terrain, so unlikely to be subject to long term flooding. I travelled it in Nov 2015, and apart from the ambient temp, had no trouble at all.

Friends are to travel it today or tomorrow, so maybe I can check with them………if I don’t forget.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924189

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Jul 25, 2023 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jul 25, 2023 at 21:08
Thank you Bob, that's a kind offer, although it may ahave been overtaken by events. I spoke to some people this afternoon who a day or two ago towed their Jayco Journey Outback (admittedly towed by a 'Cruiser) up the Cordillo Downs Road from Innamincka to Birdsville via Betoota without issue. They gave me a detailed description of current conditions and it sounds eminently doable. Sounds like the SA Outback Road Report is a little behind the times, although not by as much as the Qld one.
FollowupID: 924193

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 26, 2023 at 13:31

Wednesday, Jul 26, 2023 at 13:31
Briste,

Friends at Innamincka now. He reports: “Arrabury road really good, usual small floodways and corrugations but nothing too drastic.”

He is driving an LC 79 series with a slide on camper fitted.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924199

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Jul 26, 2023 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jul 26, 2023 at 20:47
Thanks Bob, that's helpful. Sounds like Arrabury may be slightly easier drive, but perhaps not by enough to warrant the extra 85kms.
FollowupID: 924203

Follow Up By: Briste - Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 10:18

Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 10:18
I conversation I had with neighbours here in Birdsville illustrates the challenges of interpreting road reports, even first hand ones. These neighbours were advised at Immamincka to take the Arrabury Road in preference to the Cordillo Downs one, and both copped damaged to the plumbing of their vans and lost all their water. They regarded the road as roughish, whereas Bob's friend found it ok.

Now these vans didn't appear to be particularly offroadish, and there is the question of what speeds and tyre pressures they were driving at, but if a Jayco can make it up the Cordillo Road with no trouble and these vans had both had issues om the Arrabury, then that suggests Cordillo may be the better option and shorter too. I suspect there isn't actually much difference other than distance.

FollowupID: 924204

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 12:09

Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 12:09
I drove from Birdsville to Innaminka after the Big Red Bash via Cordillo road in my Prado 120 towing a jayco pop top caravan 17.58-3 outback and found it a easy drive with diversions around the boggy sections. A far different road from the last time I drove down it 10 years ago.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 924205

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 15:16

Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 15:16
Yes Briste,

What one person thinks is horrendous, another person will just say it was OK if you drive to the conditions.

I saw a couple vans at Fitzroy Crossing last year, both Off Road, both had come off the Gibb River Road in the past couple of days. One guy said the road was one of the worst he had ever driven. The other guy said it was OK, a little rough in a couple of places, but not really that bad. I put it down to the first guy not being very experienced in outback roads.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924206

Follow Up By: Briste - Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 16:46

Thursday, Jul 27, 2023 at 16:46
These are all very valid points Macca, and why I'm wary of such simplistic descriptions as good or terrible. The people I spoke to who towed the Jayco over the Cordillo road were able to provide detailed descriptions of its condition, and that's what's really valuable. Also they discussed their towing history, so that provided context. The people here in Birdsville who copped some damage don't seem as experienced, and so I treated their report with some caution. Hence my comment that the two roads were probably similar at present, which Bob's friend's report confirms.

The reason I'm fussing over all this is that my travelling companion has had a flare-up of some conditions, and I can't afford subject her to too much more rough road driving on this trip. Tyres will be down further and speeds slower.
FollowupID: 924207

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jul 28, 2023 at 17:24

Friday, Jul 28, 2023 at 17:24
"Bad roads" are only "bad" if you are driving too fast for your vehicle and experience.
Cut your speed in half and they will suddenly become OK. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 924210

Follow Up By: Briste - Sunday, Jul 30, 2023 at 10:43

Sunday, Jul 30, 2023 at 10:43
Peter's point is well taken, although think there is a little more to it than that.

To close this out, we found the Cordillo Downs Road ok. Not a bad as I feared, but not quite as good as I hoped.

. The short Qld section was a dream - smooth as silk despite some loose stuff on top
. The short section from the border to the Caldega ruins was slow and rough.
. South from the ruins to our camp on Marianna Creek was generally good. No corrugations and you could mostly sail along at a moderate pace, with only occasional rough and/or twisty bits to keep you on your toes.
. The southern section was slower and not as smooth. The road through the Innamincka Regional Reserve had corrugations, mostly on the northern section.

Not particularly difficult at the right speed and pressures. Thanks for all the advice.
FollowupID: 924213

Sponsored Links