GPS MAPPING

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:09
ThreadID: 14600 Views:1822 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Wha is the best way to acheive simple GPS mapping.eg. laptop and gps, large screen gps, gps pda, navman street mapping.
The navman type products can have any maps downloaded to them. I want to see my position moving on a map as I travel. What are peoples different experiences and how much can I expect to pay? Is Ebay a cheaper way?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:27

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 18:27
look at this site (btw his book is well worth looking at)
http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com
AnswerID: 67492

Reply By: Rockfish - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:17

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:17
Well I can tell you how I do it ... I use an HP iPaq 2210 running OziExplorer with a compact flash GPS receiver (SysOnChip CF+). I find this to be a fantastic combination - very accurate, very portable and relatively cheap. All up cost was about $1000 for everything, including a 512mb SD card for storing maps, and all the software. I find this option much better than using a laptop and/or hand held GPS receiver due to the simplicity of setup and portability. I mount the iPaq on the dash when out and about and when I stop to do some exploring I just take the iPaq with me in my pocket. I get about 4 hours operating time with CF GPS turned on running on battery alone, but I recharge it while in the cradle with a 12 volt charger.

With regards to maps, you can scan your own (which I do) or you can buy digital versions such as NatMap. I prefer to scan my own as I prefer 1:100000 scale. You calibrate your scanned maps on your PC, upload to your handheld and your good to go. In my opinion, doesn't get any simpler, and gives a great result.

Cheers
Ron
AnswerID: 67507

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 19:36
If you check the archives there is stacks of info on this subject.

Utemad.
AnswerID: 67509

Sponsored Links