I'm trying to avoid doubling up on navigation systems.

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 13, 2023 at 14:49
ThreadID: 146101 Views:1691 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I want to get Exploroz for driving navigation, and maybe for trekking as well.
I also want to have a satellite communication system, for when I might be out of WiFi range, for messaging and SOS capability.

I bought a Garmin GPSMAPS 66i which I can still return or swap, and am just wondering of anyone has any suggestions that might help me work out what might be a good solution to having the navigation & offline maps with Exploroz, as well as Satelite communication device.

Otherwise I'd have 2 navigation systems, which might be confusing and probably unnecessary.

For an alternate communication device, I was thinking of maybe Garmin InReach Mini2 because it's compact and has a long battery life, or Zoleo. Probably not a sat phone.

I'll be 2WD'ing but maybe joining others in their 4WD at some point.

Am new to all this, so appreciate any help and ideas.

Thank you :-)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 12:36

Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 12:36
The latest tech solution that travellers are quickly adopting (ourselves included) is using the services of StarLink - you purchase the hardware (a small flat antenna), pay a monthly fee (pay as you go, pause when you don't need it), and every day you can stop at camp and setup the antenna (takes 2 minutes) and the antenna communicates with satellites and delivers you Wifi for both phone calls, text messaging and excellent internet! Such a game changer. Now you can go camping in the most remote areas of Australia and be able to connect online in your usual way daily using your phone, your tablet, your computer whatever.

So that way you can use ExplorOz Traveller for your mapping, hiking etc and your communications require nothing more than the StarLink antenna and a monthly fee.

Check it out.

StarLink
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644279

Follow Up By: Lainie C - Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 22:52

Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 22:52
Thanks David and Michelle for getting back to me on this.
There's quite a bit to take in, information-wise with various options out there.
Will see how I go with what I've got and reassess down the track.
I appreciate your help and suggestions.
Thanks again,

Lainie :-)
FollowupID: 924301

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Aug 21, 2023 at 07:18

Monday, Aug 21, 2023 at 07:18
$150 a month to be able to use mapping away from phone coverage is not a practical solution for most. Especially when you already pay an annual fee for the maps

The maps should be available offline if they are to be a meaningful option for people who travel remotely.

I would never consider an option where I need to be connected online to get detailed maps. Especially if I never get to actually own them.
FollowupID: 924328

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 21, 2023 at 12:35

Monday, Aug 21, 2023 at 12:35
Boobook, the features of StarLink is not for use of mapping - as that is already available offline, its for use of your phone to make calls - for communication, which is what the OP was asking about. StarLink enables you to get Wifi from satellite. What you do with the Wifi is up to you but Wifi calling is free on today's phones - you just need to get to a Wifi point. It's an option to consider instead of a satellite phone.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924331

Reply By: Lainie C - Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 13:07

Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 13:07
Hi Michelle,
Thanks so much for your response. The idea of getting Starlink is very appealing, and I will consider it as I set off and see how I go with my needs and evaluate my power set-up.

I’m also thinking of when I go for a bushwalk and am offline and want or need to communicate, and would be away from any WiFi setup attached to the vehicle. So am thinking/wondering about what handheld device to go with.

Does EOTopo download onto the Garmin device I have? Do you know?

Thanks ???????
AnswerID: 644280

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 15:25

Monday, Aug 14, 2023 at 15:25
No it doesn't download to a Garmin device. The offline maps in the app are you need for walking. But you cannot "communicate" in case of an emergency with the Traveller app. For that you would be best to take an EPIRB - or PLB. Only used in emergencies eg. snake bite on your walk.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924297

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2023 at 08:50

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2023 at 08:50
Personally I have three off road navigations systems, there is always something you'll find you want my detail with and one system will have it and the other won't. Plus if going well off road then it always pays to have redundancy.

My go to navigator is ozi exploxer on the head unit, I run explore oz on the phone and also have a Garmin mini.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644285

Follow Up By: Lainie C - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2023 at 14:04

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2023 at 14:04
Hi Leigh,
Thank you. I appreciate your response. Good to know.
I will see how I go with what I have and what my needs dictate over time.

Thank you again,

Lainie
FollowupID: 924304

Sponsored Links