Traction control

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:19
ThreadID: 14612 Views:2000 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently In process of upgrading from 80 series TD that has served me very well for almost 10 years.

Looking at 100 series and must admit I am tempted by the Sahara. Do however have some concerns about the functionality / relaiability of all the electrical gadgetry involved in the traction control and the vehicle swerve control systems.
Also being told that the newer automatic transmissions allow you almost same control as manual.....

Don't seem to find anyone with this equipment in their vehicles that does any serious 4-wheeling to tell me how it works in real life...

I would appreciate any input to how these vehicles / systems / transmissions truly cope off the bitumen.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:14

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:14
Mate,
Although I don't personally like auto trannies, I agree and admit that they are so good now that they often out-shine the manuals. So if you want a auto tranny, I know of no reason why you shouldn't have one. There is still the issue about them not having the same engine braking ability on steep downhill tracks....if this is a REAL big problem for your type of driving, you can always fit rock crawling gears in your transfer case.
As for traction control etc, the general consensus is that it is useless after about the 1st 30 seconds. I was talking recently with a bloke who'd been on one of the 4x4 of the year testing events and he said that 1 particular vehicle in sand, was stuffed because the computer sensed wheelspin and applied the brakes to that wheel, then the next,then the next etc until the thing just ceased to even try to get itself out of the sand. I'd be inclined to stick with a LSD at the minimum or preferrably twin diff locks if you do a bit of serious off road work.
Good luck
AnswerID: 67561

Follow Up By: Bushtrekker - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:35
Thanks Roachie,

Couldn't agree more about auto transmission but sometimes you have to compromise to keep the wife happy...

I have heard about the sand issue... I have also heard that these vehicles eats breaks for breakfast...

Anyone else with experience on the above?

Thanks,

Bushtrekker
FollowupID: 328255

Reply By: fozzy - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:18

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:18
tried replying but hasnt appeared so will go for shirt version
td auto fine-wont be as good braking as manual but havent driven manual one
it compares to petrol 4500 80 series manual
even with that i had to use brakes quite often going down reasonably steep hills(some say never use braking going down hills-well that is bul....) and td auto needs some braking assistance at times.
can use auto virtually as manual -drive one and u will see what i mean
only downside is one steep swithcback hill i went down -each turn had to back up for second crack and tjhen travel about 50 feet for another switchback-real pain in ass as going all way through 1st to reverse etc
as far as water goes- 100 td does not like much at all-especially when water up to sat nav level inside(thats another story)=im sure most 4wd wouldnt like that these days either--also trying to disable abs for dirt driving on gxl is problem-think sahara may disable when low range selected
AnswerID: 67566

Reply By: Rosscoe - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 13:04

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 13:04
Bushtreker,

Can't help you with LC Sahara -nice unit.
With my Pajero, the automatic with clutchless manual (Tiptronic Sports Mode) is just a fantastic combination. I have had both a 3.5 l petrol and now 3.2 L Direct Injection Turbocharged Diesel.
The gearbox is very "intelligent" and learns your driving style, dropping down gears to maintain downhill (highway) speed. I use the sports mode for towing maintaining revs in the peak torque zone on hilly areas but otherwise just "d" for doddle.
I have had very little experience with ATC but I understand correct tyres are essential if you are to get the best from the technology. The Pajero DiD in 4LLC/1st gear has very good down hill braking and, again provided you have the right tyres, Downhill Brake Assist seems pretty good.
Again no personal experience but I have read lots of comments about ASC (active stability control) in sand and the consensus is that you turn it off in this situation. ASC in the Pajero applies the brakes to an offending wheel but also drops power to the engine. It seems this is the major problem, perhaps more so than ATC.
Perhaps others with more technical understanding of these matters can agree or disagree.
For mine the autos are so good these days, and if you do any amount of city driving, the decision (IMHO) is a "No Brainer"
AnswerID: 67568

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:10

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:10
Bushtrekker

i can tell you that the auto is no disadvantage at all.. excellent performance in the mountains rock crawling or in the desert, performs very well.... as for the traction control i am yet to find a situation where i have beed caught out, quite the contrary especially in the snow .. as for the swerve control ... don't have any real opinion on it as yet as the thing performs so well, maybe that's the answer to it... it's good enough that it performs without being obtrusive ... the only time you really know it's working is when the dash lights come on .... i have no complaints whatsoever...

steve
AnswerID: 67610

Follow Up By: Bushtrekker - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:15

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:15
Steve

Sounds like you are happy with the LC...

If you don't mind, how serious offroad stuff would you say that you've done? Any sand work at all..?

Thks,

Bushtrekker.
FollowupID: 328411

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 18:20
Budhtrekker ...

yeah i am very happy with it .. my last vehicle was a 2001 105 GXL 6 cyl petrol .... the change from it to the new one is quite amazing...

as for the offroad stuff, i get into the fire trails through gippsland and locally through kinglake .. toolangi ... mt dissapointment etc

at easter i took it to the west coast of tassi and did some sand driving on some of the beaches \ sand track \ trails there

a few weeks back i went through murray sunset national park (sand sand and more sand) rubicon covered in snow...

there was no noticable difference between the IFS sahara and the live axle GXL regardless of what many (who have never driven one) on here and other forums will tell you ...

when it comes to the serious stuff i head outback whenever i get more than a few days off but i tend to avoid the mountain trails with overhanging trees etc.... too much money involved to go out of my way to damage it ...

all in all ... a great vehicle and should you buy one, i'm sure you won't regret it

steve
FollowupID: 328449

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:18

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:18
Bushtrekker

I own a current model 100 series TD Auto. I have had it in a number of steep inclines and had no problems. It does run a little faster than the TD a manaul, but IMHO and based on usage, nothing to get upset about.

On the plus side, there is no way you can stall it going up the hill. You can't say the same for the manual. I used to be anti autos in 4X4s but am now converted.

The traction control stuff I haven't had any experience with so cannot comment from a first hand point of view, but from everything I have read, it is something to keep away from at the moment, for reasons already outlined above.

Have a look at the GXL auto and option it up with Lockers etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 67613

Sponsored Links