Building the Snowy

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 24, 2023 at 12:18
ThreadID: 146146 Views:1676 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Part 1 was on SBS last night with 2 more episodes to go, hopefully not as packed with ads. Old SMA footage seen multiple times over the years now digitally restored and looking sharp. Even saw some new images. Collis and McHugh interviewed but better to read their books in which Nelson Lemmon- 1949 Labor politician who pushed for the Scheme - is correctly noted as a WA farmer and not from Vic as narrator claims.
Cuts back and forth from SMA era to Snowy 2.0. More on 2.0 would be good in future episodes. This year is 74th anniversary so Oct 17th 2024 is the date to mark in your calendars. Snowy Museum at Adaminaby worth a visit.
Snowy Museum

Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 24, 2023 at 20:43

Thursday, Aug 24, 2023 at 20:43
"is correctly noted as a WA farmer and not from Vic as narrator claims"

Nelson Lemmon Was originally from Vic. His old man, John Lemmon, was MLA for Williamstown for 50 years. John immigrated to WA and became a farmer before becoming MHR for Forrest in the Chifley government. Hence the confusion.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644328

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Aug 25, 2023 at 09:50

Friday, Aug 25, 2023 at 09:50
Authors Collins and McHugh rightly ignore Lemmons birthstate as it is irrelevant to the initiation of the Snowy Scheme. As a WA MP Lemmon had absolutely no possible conflicts of interest with a scheme 3000 km to his east, unlike NSW and Vic MP's of the time. NSW just wanted the extra water and didn't want the hydropower so as to preserve their coal power interests - my how times change.
It would indeed be nice to think that a sandgroper pollie had the national interest at heart as the books record. Anyway, both books are a fascinating read and I recommend them.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 924390

Sponsored Links