Blog Review: Great Central Road

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Another great blog Michelle & David with wonderful photos and descriptions of places, camps and local people. Totally surprised by the reception you got at Docker River and telling it just how it is way out there is a god caution for those that follow. How lucky were the guys on the motorbike when you pair turned up! Looking forward to the next write up! Regards Paul & Fiona.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:12

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:12
Thanks again for reading our long blog Paul. Yes we always seem to find ourselves in some unusual situations. I realise I forgot to include photos of the paintings we purchased from Warakurna Art Gallery too so I'll try to update it when I get a chance.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644354

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 20:13

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 20:13
Really good read, thanks D and M.

The Laverton servo folk ( Kiwis) saved our bacon on a Sunday by properly repairing a tricky puncture.
Really friendly couple, from Tauranga, where our son and his family have made their home.
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644356

Reply By: Member - Andrew W14 - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2023 at 11:12

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2023 at 11:12
thanks for an excellent review of GCR. I can only echo your comments on the drive.
however I feel it important to stress the situation at Docker River (both the community and the free camp).
we accidentally drove in to the community (no police), to be met by signs everywhere that said (keep out, no entry, no visitors etc).
Could not get out of the place quick enough!
Moved onto the free camp a couple of kms up the road to be met by an overgrown dirty dump, with abandoned huts all over. 10 mins after stopping, along came the first of two locals in a beat up old car. refused to open van door, so after 10 mins they left, only to be followed 5 mins later by another car full. same story, locked ourselves inside van and waited for them to leave.
packed up and moved as soon as they had gone. After 7 yrs full time travelling this is the only time we have felt unsafe and had to move.
AnswerID: 644385

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2023 at 15:45

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2023 at 15:45
I stayed at Docker River camp a week or so ago.
Yes the grass is overgrown but it isn’t a farm or park. And it’s a pity the toilets are not working.
But I and a dozen or so other campers still managed to find somewhere to pitch tents and park vans and trailers.
No visitors apart from a dingo who trotted through just after dark.
Sad you felt threatened but yours may not be a typical experience.

Cheers

FollowupID: 924480

Reply By: Member - Andrew W14 - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2023 at 19:17

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2023 at 19:17
I think the difference must be that I was the only camper there.
Vast difference to there being 8 or 9 others, but glad you found it OK.
I can only report my experiences
AnswerID: 644389

Sponsored Links