Sleepless Nights

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 10:32
ThreadID: 146167 Views:2735 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Toyota have their auto diagnostic technicians working on my Cruiser.
Dave.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 11:15

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 11:15
Best of luck.
I hope all works out.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644352

Reply By: Genny - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 11:44

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 11:44
Good luck indeed. I managed to blow a headlight fuse whilst buggering about under the bonnet once. I didn't have a spare, so I pulled the same rated one out of the air con, and put it in the headlights circuit. The missus was taking the car in to get serviced at Toyota Mackay the next day. I told her to get them to replace the a/c fuse, she translates that into women-speak, and tells them the a/c isn't working. When she picks the car up, she tells me "It's got to be back in next Thursday, and it'll cost $180 for a new air conditioner switch."
I told them they'd never see the car again, and strangely, a ten cent fuse from SuperCheap got the a/c working.

All their ads back in those days made much of their "factory trained technicians".
AnswerID: 644353

Follow Up By: axle - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:09

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:09
Not to mention the diagnostic skills of their wiz bang mechanics in regard to engine problems.

Still the same to-day i imagine.

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 924419

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:45

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:45
Axle
The Wizz and the Bang usually happens after they have "fixed it"!
FollowupID: 924420

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:19

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:19
Stan at Mackay brake & front end in peel st is one of the great mechanics in Mackay. A small business that knows what they're doing been to him several times with our cars for 20yrs before we left Mackay a couple of yrs ago and also Martins mechanical.
Holden lied a couple of times to us about car problems and availability of parts they don't like it when you catch them out.
FollowupID: 924424

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Aug 30, 2023 at 11:46

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2023 at 11:46
Not Toyota but another brand.

This isn't dealer bashing, simply alerting people to the type of things all dealers are capable of if they try it on.
People I know well purchased a new Mazda CX5 from Melb,
After a short while the sound and nav system played up/ no worky. Their local dealer was asked to fix the problem. They replaced the Aerial and input lead, updated the Head unit, changed some components in dash and loom sections associated with the issue.
No change. Owners contacted the Melb dealer and he asked if they had fitted a dash cam or other ciggy plug in device. They had done so, he asked them to ONLY plug it in AFTER the Mazda system has started up because some popular add ons conflict with system signals at startup. All good. He also asked what their local dealer had ordered and replaced. They listed those items to him, he checked the national Mazda data base for confirmation of the parts and items updated or replaced. He found NO items had ever been ordered for, or fitted to, that vehicle Vin Number for warranty purposes. Local dealer claimed they performed those actions.
Always ask for proof of anything done!
FollowupID: 924425

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:42

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 at 14:42
Hello David.
That doesn't sound good. Is it the actual technicians from TOYOTA or simply a mechanic in the dealers. BIG BIG difference in the ability to diagnose and the understanding of systems.
You didn't mention the actual problem which has caused you to be at the dealers. Can you elaborate with more info? It may be a simple fault which manifests itself as a large problem but really isn't. Unless the mechanic has a diagnostic ability to think outside the box, auto box in this case, and not simply a dude, drop the E if need be, who works there and claims diagnostic technicians status, the problem may not be found.

In '07 my ex wife bought a Corolla which had pedal sink from new, a simple problem. I complained and the TOYOTA TRAINED AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN came and explained why. He told me 5 different total utter BS stories as to why it didn't retain brake pedal height. I asked him if he had any idea as to how a brake system actually worked. He shrank away and got someone else who admitted they all do it from new, just have to retain enough pedal height for a certain time. This is different to a road worthy where pedal height has to be retained under pressure.

Maybe the auto isn't the problem but Toyota might take it out for you to check, if you let them! Some dealers know how their vehicles work, other dealers do not.
AnswerID: 644355

Sponsored Links