gu rear coil suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 13:47
ThreadID: 14617 Views:1983 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, gu drops around 3'' at the rear when loaded with camper etc, what springs or suspension upgrade would you suggest without spending huge amounts, rear only or all round???, have searched the archives but not hit on a specific, thanks, Adrian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:20
Have you tried polyairs,inflate only when needed eg towing dont need to change anything else,cheapest option
AnswerID: 67575

Follow Up By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:25

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:25
no, but will look into them, thanks Brian.
FollowupID: 328269

Follow Up By: Rob W. - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:31
I agree with Brian, I had polyairs fitted to my 4 runner, great when towing the camper trailer or gear loaded in the back. Best things I ever bought; will be fitting to my GU patrol soon.
FollowupID: 328270

Follow Up By: Peter McGuckian - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:38

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:38
My 2002 GU has standard springs plus polyairs. They make it quite easy to level the car when the camper is attached.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 328412

Reply By: Member - Roachie SA- Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 14:31
G'day Ace,
I originally had OME 2" lift with the Konis and then added Polyairs as well.
It still sagged in the rear when fully loaded (includes very heavy steel rear bar and dual wheel carriers, 145 litre long range tank, full recovery kit, heavy slide-out drawer and 40 litre fridge, roof rack etc). The truck weighes just over 3000kg before I load it up for a trip and hook camper trailer on.
I've now got Lovells 5" rear and 4" front springs as well as the Polyairs which i run @ around 20psi all the time. No more saggy bum.
It actually sits about 3" higher than a bog-stock new Patrol with nothing loaded up.
Well recommended.
AnswerID: 67577

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 16:36
I was thinking about polyairs myself but most shops didnt think they would work well articulation wise because of slow rutted tracks we tend to go looking for.....
They are great for straight line towing on good roads.....
I ended up fitting an extended coil spring which is 20mm thick but made the mistake of puting in an 8-coil 125mm spring which still allows the vehicle to sag under load but without load it gave great lift.....

I ended up fitting a 7-coil spring and it is very hard to compress and handles the weight very well....
AnswerID: 67592

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 19:19
Get onto a quality spring mob and tell them what you do and carry and what you want, someone like Ironman (look them up on this site), ARB, Lovells, TJM and get springs designed for your use, then go the polyairs also but have the right springs first. I have ARB under mine and fully loaded it doesnt sag much at all.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 67631

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 23:03
www.truckspring.com. Half the price of polyairs, no need to change springs, can put money towards a better quality set of shocks.
Rolande
AnswerID: 67694

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:59

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:59
Ace,
I've never been a fan of the Polyairs, I had a set in my GQ when I bought it, when I let the air out the car dropped 15mm and ended up lobsided, some people put them on to compensate for stuffed springs as I found out. Polyairs hinder your articulation when off road in the rougher stuff. Personally I believe a good set of springs and shocks is the way to go, that way you know exactly where the vehicle sits. If you're fully loaded and a Polyair bursts or gets a puncture this can effect the handling dramatically, even one of the inflation / deflation tubes could get holed same effect. A lot of people use them, they have their place I'm sure, I just prefer to go with the "traditional" approach myself. I fitted OME springs and shocks to my GQ towed my camper trailer everywhere no problem at all, I now have a GU and I've done the same, I got the heavy duty springs all round so it sits a bit high at the moment, I got the heavy duty springs up front because I knew I would be fitting other stuff, a L/R tank and a winch for example, saves getting two sets of springs.
In my opinion if you can afford it it's always better to fit new stuff all round especially shocks keeps the handling on track.
You may want to consider the ball weight of your camper trailer, it may be a tad high, you may have to move some stuff around on the trailer to balance things out a bit.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 67708

Reply By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 13:21

Thursday, Jul 15, 2004 at 13:21
thanks to all of you, Adrian.
AnswerID: 67893

Sponsored Links