Rudall NP or Karlamiliyi NP info or Newman/Talawana Track

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 31, 2023 at 21:27
ThreadID: 146183 Views:1279 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone recently travelled to Rudall NP via either Marble Bar through Telfer then Main Track or from Newman on Talawana Track then up to Telfer? We are 4wd Toyota Coaster truck. 7m long, 2.5m wide, 3.4m high. high clearance. How are current track conditions?
We are considering visiting sights along Main Track and only Desert Queen Baths then return same route. Have noted Isuzu tour truck used by one tour operator. We have spent last 4 years roaming on and offroad, finding lots of helpful advice on Exploroz. Thank you!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 06:00

Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 06:00
Haven’t been in Rudall since 2018, Robert, but can guarantee that there’ll corrugations a’plenty south of Telfer.
Are you going to Carrawine Gorge, or Running Waters? 2 must see places in that area.
While in Rudall, worth spending some time around No.11 Pool & Tjingkulatjatjarra Pool. We went out past Curran Curran but might be getting a bit tight for your lorry past there?
Depending on your travel plans, it would be better to exit Rudall at the opposite side to which you entered?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644360

Reply By: Robert S36 - Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 08:52

Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 08:52
Thanks Bob. Good to know. We visited Carrawine Gorge previously, loved the area, decided to come back. We love the sound of sidetracks, just mindful of overhang and width. True, going one way via Telfer and return via Talawana Track would be more interesting. Happy travels.
AnswerID: 644363

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 16:30

Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 16:30
It was 2018 when we visited too. In via Telfer, & out to Newman via Talawana. Loved it. It was a busy year with flooding on the Canning sending folk on a 600km 'bypass route' through Karlamilyi. Corrugations were bad both north & south. The Telfer track was far more interesting both scenery & driving-wise. Several kilometres of the track were along a dry sandy creek bed with the creek 'walls each side higher than the vehicle. One 'almost bogged but got lucky' moment as we entered the dry creek.

If going to Newman, don't miss the drive out to Kalgan Pool. Interesting drive &, attractive country & some good camping spots.

If out Carawine way don't miss Skull Springs, they are really very special. There is plenty of space to camp (& turn around) immediately outside of the springs if you choose not to drive in.

Running Waters (probably our most favourite camp site ever) is wonderful too, but may be too tight for the Coaster. You can drive in to where the Paperbarks start & park (friends in a Canter did that) & walk in to judge the high clearance track for yourself. Worth going for a look & a swim even if you can't get in to camp waterside.

I do wonder whether your rear overhang may be problematic going into Desert Queen Baths, there were a number of steep sided & narrow gullies to cross, so caution will be needed. From memory 'Jarra Pool' was easier to get to.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 924437

Reply By: Robert S36 - Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 18:50

Friday, Sep 01, 2023 at 18:50
Cuppa, excellent to hear all the great info. I am a fan of your blog. Very handy to know about rear scraping, we ditched a tool box on rear bumper for this reason several years ago. Yes, may give Kalgan a go. Should be out there next week. Thanks again for excellent info.
AnswerID: 644367

Sponsored Links